• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks rumors on Facebook and Smoove article

bird_dirt

I don't know how many, if anyone, here follows this facebook page (I think they only have 15 "likes"):

View ResultsPolldaddy.com

5. What should Danny Ferry do?

Ben Golliver: I would push hard for to swing a deal before the deadline because I would fear the dumb money that could appear come summertime and because I’d be inclined to believe that Smith isn’t the long-term answer unless he’s coming at a bargain (unlikely). Enough teams will be in a position to offer Smith big dollars and the available talent in the 2013 class is weak enough that the risk that a rival team goes all-in to land Smith as its big fish seems fairly high. While I wouldn’t expect to receive a massive haul of assets by trading Smith during the season, I’d rather have whatever picks and/or prospects I could peel off in a deal now than get stuck empty-handed during the summer (or, even worse, talking myself into overpaying to keep him). I’d rather be mocked for “losing” a deal in February than watch him walk in July, and I’d rather have the cap space and minor assets than commit at least 25 percent of my salary cap to Smith, even if that meant taking a step back in 2013-14.

Some of this is about organizational culture, too. Smith is in the right if he does feel frustrated and disappointed that the Hawks haven’t achieved more success during his time there, as has been reported in the past. It would be difficult for Ferry to promise Smith that he’s going to put together a winner to satisfy him immediately when he can’t exactly guarantee his ability to do that. It’s better to confront that tension head-on by moving Smith rather than trying to placate those feelings in hopes that the situation will somehow resolve itself. It would make sense for Ferry, who arrived in Atlanta from San Antonio, to follow the Spurs’ no-drama, just-winning model that puts an emphasis on acquiring and keeping players interested in representing the organization without preconditions. Building a successful program that attracts talent requires a significant amount of time, resources and dedication. Ferry signed a six-year contract last summer, though, so he’s in no particular rush.

Rob Mahoney: Smith and the Hawks have been slowly moving toward this decision for years, with plenty of frustrations on both sides. In my eyes, that makes the risk of relying on his free agency just a bit too great for the Hawks. Even though I’m not quite as opposed to the idea of Atlanta’s re-signing Smith, there’s just too much baggage to assume that a deal could go off between these two parties without some significant hitch. Ferry may give the front office a different voice, but it’s his different view — and as you mention, the timeline involved in his rebuilding plan — that makes me think Smith might prefer to go elsewhere. He’ll have to leave guaranteed money on the table to do so, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to see Smith dart for a still-lucrative offer from some other suitor.

With so much uncertainty, Ferry should be (and undoubtedly is) fielding calls and working the phones to gauge offers for Smith. Count me, too, in favor of redeeming Smith’s value while that option is still on the table. We shouldn’t expect a trade, necessarily, as the Hawks could still stand to benefit from the release of Smith’s cap hold. But the confluence of the harms that could come from committing so much cap room to Smith and the possibility of his bolting without consolation make the acquisition of draft picks and prospects the decidedly more palatable option.

• Like 1