• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Ferry in good position as trade deadline approaches

Jody23

• Premium Member

Nice read. I've been very reserved in my opinion of Danny Ferry and it's going to stay that way until he tips his hand. Though, I do have to say I've not had this much hope since Billy Knight came in and cleared the slate. I'm not going to go and call him a savior or anything like that, but he has put this team in a great position to retool or rebuild.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Nice read. I've been very reserved in my opinion of Danny Ferry and it's going to stay that way until he tips his hand. Though, I do have to say I've not had this much hope since Billy Knight came in and cleared the slate. I'm not going to go and call him a savior or anything like that, but he has put this team in a great position to retool or rebuild.

He has two ways to go imo.

1. He has assets in players on the roster. This is a roster that will make the playoffs and that believe it or not is a bad thing. Bad in the draft pick is not going to be good and the fact this team will not make it out of the first round. If there are a flurry of trades by Ferry that nets draftpicks then we are in a rebuilding mode.

2. He decides to keep Smith on the roster and does his best to get D12 and CP3. Waiting to summer is ok to do other stuff in my opinion but Im not in the corner of bring D12 here any longer. I was on that train until he was traded to LA and has just created more problems out there. Im not sure that the Lakers are not thinking about trying to move him at this point because of the malcantent attitude and the potential injury issues. Anyway, I dont believe D12 wants to be in Atlanta, nor do I think he gives a crap about Josh Smith, whom he knows is not that good of a player. I dont think the Hawks get either D12 or CP3.

So, DF will have the next six months to decide how he is going to mold this roster and franchise. I am leaning toward the fact he is not going to do a deadline deal with Josh. I could see Korver getting traded. Morrow cant stay health and the same goes with Davin Harris. I like Harris I think he can play the point and the 2 urad both well. He is not quite as explosive as Lou but he could score 15 a nite off the bench imo.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

1. He has assets in players on the roster. This is a roster that will make the playoffs and that believe it or not is a bad thing. Bad in the draft pick is not going to be good and the fact this team will not make it out of the first round. If there are a flurry of trades by Ferry that nets draftpicks then we are in a rebuilding mode.

2. He decides to keep Smith on the roster and does his best to get D12 and CP3. Waiting to summer is ok to do other stuff in my opinion but Im not in the corner of bring D12 here any longer. I was on that train until he was traded to LA and has just created more problems out there. Im not sure that the Lakers are not thinking about trying to move him at this point because of the malcantent attitude and the potential injury issues. Anyway, I dont believe D12 wants to be in Atlanta, nor do I think he gives a crap about Josh Smith, whom he knows is not that good of a player. I dont think the Hawks get either D12 or CP3.

So, DF will have the next six months to decide how he is going to mold this roster and franchise. I am leaning toward the fact he is not going to do a deadline deal with Josh. I could see Korver getting traded. Morrow cant stay health and the same goes with Davin Harris. I like Harris I think he can play the point and the 2 guard both well. He is not quite as explosive as Lou but he could score 15 a nite off the bench imo.

So, DF will have the next six months to decide how he is going to mold this roster and franchise. I am leaning toward the fact he is not going to do a deadline deal with Josh. I could see Korver getting traded. Morrow cant stay health and the same goes with Davin Harris. I like Harris I think he can play the point and the 2 urad both well. He is not quite as explosive as Lou but he could score 15 a nite off the bench imo.

I agree wholeheartedly. I seriously doubt that Howard's decision of where he will go rests on where Josh Smith is. And, quite frankly, I have concerns about his health issues (and his lack of emotional maturity).

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Danny Ferry may have complete control of the NBA trading deadline.Ferryis in his first season as general manager of the Atlanta Hawks, andperhaps no man in sports possesses more moveable pieces and parts.Andjudging by Ferry’s mega-deal weeks after taking the job, when hejettisoned Joe Johnson to Brooklyn, you have believe he has a littlewheeling and dealing in his blood.Plus, the Hawks haven’texactly been conquering the world lately, folks. They look more like ateam that will make the playoffs — and that’s it.Ferry’s chipsstart with power forward Josh Smith, a borderline All-Star with anexpiring contract. Contenders (and pretenders) want the guy. They justhave to figure out a way to get him.That won’t be easy. Ferry is asking for a lot in return.But Smith isn’t the Hawks’ lone asset.SwingmenKyle Korver and Anthony Morrow, big men Zaza Pachulia and AnthonyTolliver, and guard Devin Harris also have expiring deals. Those areclear advantages when you’re talking trade.The deadline is lessthan three weeks away, and Ferry has been eyeing all possibilities. Thatmakes him no different than any other GM. It’s just that Ferry is theguy with all the power.“We can and will get better,” he told FOX Sports Ohio before the season.Ferryconceded his roster isn't necessarily loaded with guys to make a Finalsrun, but they are guys who other teams really want.It all starts with Smith. He reportedly has drawn serious interest from Phoenix.ButDallas is another potential destination, as are Charlotte, Houston, NewOrleans and Sacramento. The Kings, in particular, make sense becauseexpiring deals are always appealing to new ownership groups that want tostart fresh. The Kings also have plenty of rising talent that couldtempt someone in Ferry’s position.That said, Ferry could just aseasily sit tight and wait for the season to end. Just imagine the freedsalary cap space if he did.So yes, Ferry will take your call. And yes, he’ll listen to your proposal. But no, he’s not desperate. Far from it.That makes him more than the GM of the Hawks. It makes him the most compelling man in the NBA for the rest of the month.

I'd love it if Ferry could swing a deal for Cousins. The article is right, the new ownership may want to clean house and clear cap space and what better way to do it than to trade the biggest asset (and arse) that the team has. He has a team-friendly deal though, so Sac probably won't move the guy. I think Evans is the guy that they really want to move.

• Premium Member

This is where you separate the bad from the good and the good from the best as far as GM's go. This is where a championship organization makes things happen. It's easy to look back and say coulda/woulda/shoulda...but the guys that are worth a damn get it done where we sit at right now.

We have the assets and we have a team that is locked in the middle of the pack. A max contract to Josh Smith changes only one thing for sure - the amount of cap space we have. Overpaying him is bad, but paying him like the superstar he THINKS he is is the biggest problem we face in that. If we're not getting him at a reasonable price, then we've got to move him.

I'll know quite a bit about DF after the trade deadline and during the off season. Personally, I'm with you as far as getting off the D12 train. He doesn't want to be here and that became obvious to me during his whole episode with Orlando. The more I see these reports about injuries and whatnot, the less interested I become in his skills as well.

Once the Clippers started whoopin' ass, I gave up on CP3 too. If they reach the Finals or the WCF's, how can anybody think that he'll turn down the money and a chance to win it all...to rebuild our team?

I explained in another thread why moving Josh doesn't make sense Gortat. But in the case of Josh for Salmons/Cousins it does. Cousins replaces the game changing quality Smith has while helping us get bigger. He is one of the few I would want to pair next to Al. I'm a firm believer that what a kid says at 22 is not what he says at 25 and I'm willing to forgive his attitude to this point. But Cousins gives you the inside, 2 way presence that a player like Gortat doesn't and he has more upside as well. Salmons is a better player than he's been in Sactown but not as good as he was against us in Milwaukee. He is serviceable and his contract can be ridden out till its tradeable. I'd be down with this deal.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I explained in another thread why moving Josh doesn't make sense Gortat. But in the case of Josh for Salmons/Cousins it does. Cousins replaces the game changing quality Smith has while helping us get bigger. He is one of the few I would want to pair next to Al. I'm a firm believer that what a kid says at 22 is not what he says at 25 and I'm willing to forgive his attitude to this point. But Cousins gives you the inside, 2 way presence that a player like Gortat doesn't and he has more upside as well. Salmons is a better player than he's been in Sactown but not as good as he was against us in Milwaukee. He is serviceable and his contract can be ridden out till its tradeable. I'd be down with this deal.

I feel the same way about Cousins. I know at 25 I don't do a lot of the stupid sh*t that did just 3 years ago at 22. I'd be willing to give the young dub dub center a second and third chance if needed. He'd probably benefit being closer to his hometown of B'ham.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capspace = Hope.

What the Hawks will end up spending said capspace on = Misery.