• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Hornets

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

So, what’s buzzing? Not much in The Big Easy, at least not for much longer.

New Orleans makes its final visit to the Highlight Factory tonight under the “Hornets” moniker, going for the more locally relevant “Pelicans” team name next season.

I’m truly hoping a certain fellow division opponent picks that Hornets name up soon. But for now, this could be the last time you’ll get to see a Hawks-Hornets matchup in Atlanta, barring an NBA Finals or something (snort). “Hawks versus Hornets” has been a mainstay ever since Kelly Tripucka and coach d*ck Harter** led the expansion franchise into the Omni almost a quarter-century ago.

** (I just needed a plausible excuse for saying “d*ck Harter” – haven’t seen that name uttered since clueless substitute teachers took roll back in high school).

Despite being the Worst of the West, virtually by default, Hornets coach Monty Williams (16-33) is not likely to be going anywhere. There is no pressure to turn things around right away, not with so many moving parts on the roster and, thanks to Williams’ coaching, plenty of reasons for future Pelican fans to look forward to the years ahead under his tutelage.

N’Awlins has a youthful squad playing out the string with the toughest strength-of-schedule in the NBA, half of the time in front of the one of the NBA’s smallest crowds (29th in average home attendance). And despite a recent swoon (four losses in their past five), they are scrapping for any victories they can get, knowing full well they are not threatening their lottery status in any way.

Williams is getting career seasons out of 24-year-old center Robin Lopez (11.3 PPG, 5.4 RPG), and 22-year-old Atlanta native and free-agent-to-be swingman Al-Farouq Aminu. 24-year-old scoring guard Eric Gordon (16.4 PPG) is being brought along slowly as he returns from knee rehab and deals with persistent back pain. The Hornets are 9-7 in games Gordon has played in since returning in late December. 19-year-old Anthony Davis hasn’t taken the world by storm yet (13.0 PPG, 1.8 BPG, 1.2 SPG), but is coming along just fine for a first-overall pick with measured expectations. Yet the Hornets’ best developments, by far, are Ryan Anderson and Greivis Vasquez.

Once removed from defender-magnet Dwight Howard in Orlando, many expected Anderson’s production to go due south after his free agentseason. Yet despite coming off the bench behind Davis, the fifth-year forward, acquired in a sign-and-trade for the low, low price of Gustavo Ayón, is turning up even more threes at higher rate (league-leading 147 three pointers made; career-highs of 16.8 PPG, 3.0 threes per game and 39.7 3FG%). He’s also contributing career-highs in assists, free throw percentage, and defensive rebounds. On a team that manages just 93.5 PPG (26th in NBA), Anderson’s sharpshooting has proven invaluable. He nailed five of his ten trey attempts and scored 23 points back on January 1 in the Hornets’ 95-86 home loss to the Hawks. His catch-and-shoot style of play on offense allows him the second-lowest turnover percentage in the NBA. Perhaps of greatest benefit to Williams, Ryno has been a team player, not pressing anyone to be a mainstay in the starting rotation.

With injuries short-circuiting Rajon Rondo’s season and sidelining Chris Paul, Vasquez’s presence atop the NBA assists leaderboard among active players (9.4 APG) has certainly raised eyebrows (or, in Davis’ case, eyebrow) across the league. It’s a quantum leap for the Venezuelan, acquired from Memphis for Quincy Pondexter and stowed away behind Jarrett Jack in 2011-12. His turnovers (3.3 TO/G) remain high, but that’s almost forgivable on this team chock full o’ youngsters and wayward perimeter shooters. At age 26, he’s the oldest player among the team’s top five scorers.

Gravy’s jumpshot accuracy is improving (40.4 FG% on jumpers, 36.2% on threes) and has been even better on the road (44.8 FG%, versus 41.2% at home). Guiding what Kevin Draper of Hoopspeak.com estimated as the NBA’s tallest team on average (http://hoopspeak.com/2013/02/does-size-really-matter/), his 6’6” height gives him some sizable advantages against smaller guards when they’re not aggressive with him off the dribble. In Wednesday’s 93-84 win versus Phoenix, Vasquez led the way with 19 points on 8-for-9 shooting, and added 12 assists with no turnovers and 4 steals. All but one of those shot attempts were within six feet of the rim.

Aminu had lost his starting gig the last time he played the Hawks, getting just five minutes of action. It appears he quickly regained Williams’ trust and got his spot back two games later. Aminu rewarded the team with 16 points on 7-for-9 shooting against the Suns on Wednesday.

It would definitely help the Hornets’ competitiveness if they applied some defensive pressure to their opponents. They steal the ball just 6.5 times per game, fewer than anyone aside from the severely depleted Magic, and generate just 12.9 turnovers per game from opponents (26th in NBA). Their futility is most stark when Davis, Aminu, and/or Gordon are not on the floor. They need their more athletic young players to provide a greater presence on the defensive end, rather than just funneling opposing ballhandlers into the paint to deal with Davis, Lopez, and/or Jason Smith. The Hawks coughed the ball up a season low five times (three of them steals) against NOLA during their victory on New Year’s Day.

How out of sight has Jeff Teague been on offense in recent games? He’s showing his skills right on time for the All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge. Without dominating the ball on many possessions, over the past two weeks, he’s among just four NBA players (Tony Parker; Russell Westbrook; Jrue Holiday) averaging 20 points and seven assists. Among NBA players taking more than five free throw attempts per game during that stretch, his 90.6 FT% tied with Kyrie Irving for second in the league, behind Ramon Sessions (92.9%). And during his last three games, he’s shot as well outside the perimeter (55.6 3FG%) as within (55.3 FG% overall; 5th among NBA guards). His defensive aptitude has been maligned for much of this season and will be tested again versus Vasquez and Roger Mason tonight, but lately he’s been more than offsetting those woes on the other end of the floor.

At the calculated risk of jinxing Kyle Korver, look for him to shatter Mookie Blaylock’s franchise record of consecutive games with at least one three-pointer made with his 43rd straight tonight. You’ll have to resign him if you want to see him break the NBA record of 89 by Dana Barros (12/23/94 to 1/10/96).

With DeShawn Stevenson still out, Anthony Tolliver is rewarded with a second-straight start at forward tonight. Tolliver’s defensive rebounding and a pair of threes were crucial in building a comfortable lead during the 103-92 win against Memphis on Wednesday. Zaza Pachulia will be a game-time decision, as will Devin Harris.

Can 2 Chainz become our version of James “Big Daddy” Brister? The Hawks are no longer approaching an all-time record but are still tied for second in the league for highest opponent free throw percentage (77.6%). Opponents complaining about fan distractions at the Highlight Factory are a welcome development!

Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article

Great post as always. Anderson's improved play should be just another of the many illustrations that Dwight isn't all he's made out to be. Hawks by 6.

Interesting. Jameer is pretty much the same, Big Baby was having a career year, and the Lakers suck on defense. Would just need SVG to come back to a team and lead them into contendership.

A lil entertainment for those snowed in up north......I hope. A terrible loss could just make me blow through my liquor provisions before rescue dogs arrive.

Haha....I just checked out ABC news and they had a live remote of the "Blizzard of 2013" up north. Looked like about 4 inches of snow on the ground in NY - cars and trucks zooming by on the already plowed roads. Posted Image

To be fair, it could get worse - but hey - it snows in the winter in New England. Posted Image

The Canadians must get a kick out of our media folks.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Good for Josh. -15, 4 to, 9-19 shooting. We need more of that. I like the garbage dunk to pad the stats. I see he had 6 boards. I also see Ivan had 4 with 30 less minutes of playing time. Oh well.

• Like 1

I'm usually very supportive of this team even in a loss. I can't condone this one. Josh's box score looks okay, but every one of his 4 turnovers and most of his misses were borne out of sheer stupidity. I dont hate Josh. But getting a professional, true blue rebounder and boxer in Josh's place is of the highest order. Being doubled up on the offensive glass time after time is just inexcusable. Direct sign of lack of effort in that department, and Josh hoisting long jumpers like a madman instead of crashing the offensive glass like his counterparts do is the foundation of that problem. But not just Josh tonight. The guards obviously didn't body Vasquez (0 rebounds to 11 Teague?), and Zaza, Al, and Ivan didn't help matters. Disappointing effort in the third to say the least when the Nets just got smashed by Washington and we could've tied in the standings. I still love watching that bastard Korver play the game even in a loss though. He did all he could, congrats on the Hawks record.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Not even sure what to think after tonight. Hawks should have won this but sometimes a team wants it more and the hornets were that team tonight. Hornets had all the momentum for after they were down double digits and their bench showed up big in the second half. Not sure how many turnovers the hawks had as a team but there were very nonchalant with the ball tonight. Every time I looked up the ball was rolling off someones leg or foot.

None of our "Bigs" have any post moves - we are a three point shooting/dunking team.

As much as we all b!tch about Smoove's lack of post moves (and rightfully so - he stinks)...Al Horford is even worse. The guy has NO MOVES. He wouldn't know a drop-step if it bit him in the ass.

I will give Smoove credit for one thing - he worked out with Hakim and tried to learn post moves - he just isn't coordinated and natural enough to do them. AL on the other hand is about as close to a "big white stiff" as you can get for a (partially) black guy.

AL got his cred as a hard worker who didn't have tats all over him....(company man).

He is NOT the guy to build around if we trade Smoove.

Sadly....Zach Randolph has more skillz than Smoove and AL combined Posted Image

Edited by DJlaysitup