• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Josh Smith tradeable?

PaceRam

Just curious if the Hawks are asking too much for Smith OR is he not in demand as much as the Hawks thought he would be OR are the Hawks really reluctant to trade him OR are there really some teams interested and the trade talks are being kept quiet until a deal has been made? I guess some of these questions might be answered in the next couple of weeks. I think Smith is a great athlete and probably can be a great basketball player with a change of scenery! I have been a big fan of Smith ever since he became a Hawk but I do think it will be best for both Smith and the Hawks if he changes teams.

I don't really get the let him walk option. I say trade him for something. There is def a piece out there for us. To answer the original question... Yes I think we might be expecting too much. And honestly I think the only reason we have taken a trade yet is the fact that the d12 fantasy still is hanging on by a thread.

Edited by HawkFan
  • Like 1

As far as the tradeabilty of Smoove...of course he is tradeable...question is - to who - and for how much?

I would think that teams likely have a fear as far as Josh goes - primarily based on coachability and professionalism. Basically...can he be trusted.

As far as "trustability" I think it comes down to...can Josh accept a certain role on a team? Can he adjust? He has a rep as a talented "wild stallion" with a big ego and attitude problems.

• Like 1

All Hawk fans, including me, thought that Marvin and JJ were

untradeable.

Josh is a valueable trading chip. Some teams would love to

have his talent on their roster. There's always the belief that,

"If our head coach had him, he would change him." Even if he

didn't change, what a difference he would make to our team.

We all know that, when we win most games, Josh has a major hand

in the victory. When we lose most games, Josh has been a major

factor in why we lost.

If a team has a very poor record, Josh alone could elevate them

to victory a lot of times. If a team has a great record, Josh could

be that missing piece to get them over the top.

Why do Hawk fans want to trade Josh? Because they are tired of his

brilliant / bone head playing. He tries to play all five positions - - All at

the same time. Why? Because he's Josh, that's why. He wants the max

for his services and fans feel that, as talented and uncoachable as he is,

he's not worth it. Someone will think he is and he will walk for nothing

at season's end.....

No, Marvin and JJ were not untradeable and neither is J Smoove. What

is he worth? Depends on which team you ask. If he's not what they really

want, he's not worth a lot. If he's the game changer they desire, he's worth

a lot. Hawk's brass just need to find the exact fit for the trade to work. And,

if they really want to move him, they will find that fit.

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

his trade value is just extremely low. you cant expect to get much for him.

No, his trade value is pretty fair right now.

I'll way in on the above question with a "what it takes.

This goes back to my earlier posts on the subject. In order for the Hawks to trade Smith, it will have to be a multi-player deal which includes our lower tier players. Very much like the JJ trade, we would take back multiple 4-7 million dollar salaries to equal Smoove's 13.2 million + kicker.

The reason for this is we are currently at 15 roster slots. We can't take back more than 1 player for Smith without first cutting someone or including them in the deal. This is the most likely scenario. The reason for this is there is no player out there at 13 million that gives you what Smith gives you and their team wants to part with him. But there are teams with 3 x 5 million dollar players who would see Smith as fixing what ails them. So to make the rosters match up we would include 2 of Scott, Ivan, Petro, Jenkins, Stevenson. Almost every team would want Jenkins and Scott is a given since his salary is the lowest. No one would want Stevenson except his contract is non guaranteed next year.

There would be resistance from the Hawks to do this kind of deal though because most of the salary they would take back would most likely be guaranteed next year and that would affect their cap situation.

An example of a team that could pull this off is Charlotte. With a combination of either Ben Gordon or Tyrus Thomas plus Matt Carroll and Gerald Henderson. They could trade for Smoove. Assuming Josh would then resign with them for the max, they would probably include a draft pick. But would the Hawks take a deal with Tyrus Thomas as the center piece? I wouldn't even though I like him as a player he's not worth the 8 million they pay him, not close. Gordon is past his prime and is owed 13 million next season crushing our cap flexibility. They are just one of the teams in a position to pull it off but it is highly unlikely Smith would sign, nixing that deal.

Dallas would love him. But Dallas has always been talent greedy.

Denver would love him as well, Smith has always played well in their and they've coveted him.

Boston loves him but is one of the teams that notoriously wants everything for next to nothing.

Does he have value, yes but trading him is tricky for many reasons. The greatest of which is "will he sign with wherever he goes". If he would agree, I think he'd be a King before they could print a jersey for him. Same goes for Portland, Dallas, Charlotte and New Orleans. But would he sign is the issue.

We can easily cut Petro Pargo and Tolliver without including them in the trade. Only way they're included is if we're taking back a high dollar player. Far more likely we trade Smith alone and get back 2-3 players and we'll cut a few scrubs. No way Ferry is giving up Jenkins or Scott this early unless we're getting a young All Star in return.

• Like 1

I still feel ferry was around when lebron walked and I just BELiEVE he won't let that happen

My preference is hawes/turner for smith. Would love to get their 1st also but I doubt that is possible

This would be a pretty BAD trade.

Turner plays soft...

Here is the funnies part about your trade... Hawes is a 7'1" guy who shoot 3pts and is not good at it. Matter of face Smoove is a better 3pt shooter. lmbo!

Hawes is a 7'1" guy who avg 6 rebsPosted Image

I listen to the Philly sports radio daily. Believe me once you those guys get here and fans see them play daily... you would be the goat of this MB.

We can easily cut Petro Pargo and Tolliver without including them in the trade. Only way they're included is if we're taking back a high dollar player.Far more likely we trade Smith alone and get back 2-3 players and we'll cut a few scrubs. No way Ferry is giving up Jenkins or Scott this early unless we're getting a young All Star in return.

You can cut Pargo but not Tolliver/Petro. Not because you can't cut them but because until they sign elsewhere, you have a cap hold from those players. If unsigned next year, they exist in your cap figures. Not a problem if you renounce them but it isn't a simple "okay bye" situation. Also, they would have to be cut before the deal is finalized and it can't be conditional. So what happens if you cut Tolliver and then the trade isn't approved. It's a little more complicated than, just waive him.

This would be a pretty BAD trade.Turner plays soft... Here is the funnies part about your trade... Hawes is a 7'1" guy who shoot 3pts and is not good at it. Matter of face Smoove is a better 3pt shooter. lmbo!Hawes is a 7'1" guy who avg 6 rebs:lol6: I listen to the Philly sports radio daily. Believe me once you those guys get here and fans see them play daily... you would be the goat of this MB.

::clapping::

If we're going to trade for a center.. then that center needs to be strictly a post player. We don't need our centers floating out near the perimeter because we all know that's what Al & Smoove do. Need a center who strictly plays in the paint for efficient scoring and the opportunity to grab more rebounds.

• Like 2

I like Turner and Hawes. Turner is easily better then any wing on our roster and while Spencer is no stud, de does upgrade ZaZa. TeagueTurnerKorverHorfordHawesWith Lou as your 6 man next year and ZaZa as the backup center......or sign an upgrade at center in free agency.Doesn't look bad to me. I like it better then the roster with Smith and having to start Tolliver or a beat up Stephenson.

I thought I read somewhere that the Nets are interested in trading for Smith. IF, this is true I sure would like to see any trade proposals include Reggie Evans. Evans is a very physical/tough player and while he might not score a lot of points he will always get his team a ton of rebounds and I think he would be a great fit/addition to the Hawks. I have been hoping for years that the Hawks would find a way to add Evans to their team!

You can cut Pargo but not Tolliver/Petro. Not because you can't cut them but because until they sign elsewhere, you have a cap hold from those players. If unsigned next year, they exist in your cap figures. Not a problem if you renounce them but it isn't a simple "okay bye" situation. Also, they would have to be cut before the deal is finalized and it can't be conditional. So what happens if you cut Tolliver and then the trade isn't approved. It's a little more complicated than, just waive him.

They could easily buy out Tolliver and Petro and they're both expiring contracts so they wouldn't affect our cap at all next year. You're making this sound a lot more complicated and uncommon than it is when in fact it happens regularly in the NBA when multiple players are moved to a team and isn't difficult at all.