• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Josh Smith tradeable?

PaceRam

The center doesnt even have the be a post player to make this team better. I will be happy with one who just brings toughness, elite level rebounding and defense, also can make layups.

Yeah, that usually comes in to play with the type of center I'm talking about.

They could easily buy out Tolliver and Petro and they're both expiring contracts so they wouldn't affect our cap at all next year. You're making this sound a lot more complicated and uncommon than it is when in fact it happens regularly in the NBA when multiple players are moved to a team and isn't difficult at all.

Yea, I have no idea where he is getting this. You pretty much send in two concurrent memos to the league office at once or write in the same memo " we've agreed on this deal and on our part are also requesting waivers on player x to accommodate." They aren't relying on a pony to get two different letters to NY that one deal could happen without the other because they took different routes. Renouncing holds is also a similarly easy endeavor. The league office isn't some eleventy circuit appellate superior court of Minnesota or something processing 20,000 cases at once. I mean, for Christ sakes, how many deals at the deadline or on draft NIGHT get approved after getting announced barely an hour earlier? In most cases when a trade gets officially announced "awaiting league approval" is basically a formality.
  • Like 1

Yea, I have no idea where he is getting this. You pretty much send in two concurrent memos to the league office at once or write in the same memo " we've agreed on this deal and on our part are also requesting waivers on player x to accommodate." They aren't relying on a pony to get two different letters to NY that one deal could happen without the other because they took different routes. Renouncing holds is also a similarly easy endeavor. The league office isn't some eleventy circuit appellate superior court of Minnesota or something processing 20,000 cases at once. I mean, for Christ sakes, how many deals at the deadline or on draft NIGHT get approved after getting announced barely an hour earlier? In most cases when a trade gets officially announced "awaiting league approval" is basically a formality.

Unless it is a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers

There's something wrong with everyone except the superstars and even they have flawsDefine turner playing "soft" 13/6/5 looks good and I have seen them play about 10 times this yearHawes defensive use is as good as anything and that way robin Lopez doesn't score 8 points on "I'm just bigger than you" rebounds. All stars= NO BuT turner has the most upside in the deal and 2 solid players for 6 million each is a good thing. More pieces to add around what is hopefully a SUPERSTAR in the free agency market

Because I figured someone else might say it better, I'm using my fabulous copy and paste skills,

--------A "cap hold" is the calculated salary slot that a team must reserve for a free agent if they want to retain that free agent's "Bird rights". That is, if they want to be able to exceed the cap to resign the free agent. In order for a team to not be charged a cap hold, they must renounce that free agent, which means they cannot resign them. Oftentimes, the cap hold is bigger than the actual salary that the player is likely to get. If a free agent is quickly resigned, then the player's new salary becomes the cap figure and the cap hold is no longer calculated.--------

There are some basic things here to understand. The memos are not uniform, they are sequential. So the processing must be....waive, renounce, trade. In order to maintain 13-15 on the roster size and to not violate the LT. My statement is not, "can't be done" my statement is: tricky to get done. It has to be enough players to not push us over the LT when complete, but not so few as to push the other team over the LT. This limits the choices. So in essence unless the salaries match up perfectly or have the Hawks taking back more salary but less than 5 million more, teams like the Lakers are out. Consider Josh straight up for Gasol. The difference in Salary, although it fits the 150% rule, would push us into the LT. Since the Lakers are already in the LT, this can't be done (as I understand it). So although Atlanta could send LA a player to make us the excess Salary...LA is at 15 spots as well. Atlanta could just do it after Pargo's contract expires but since its a daily contract the effect is minimal. The Hawks could say release Petro but the cap number does reflect his whole salary being abandoned but only the difference (I believe in games) of his played minus 82. Although it could be dates as well. I haven't looked. Consider Josh and players waived or traded to a team under the LT or even under the cap. Now you have the weird situation of a team that has low talent trying to send back enough for Josh + our scrubs. Again, the options are limited. More importantly those incoming players take cap room for next year so they aren't the same as just a trade. Josh is an expiring and that gives us tremendous offseason flexibility. We aren't going to just dump him for scrubs. The question isn't can't, the question is should we....its vey complicated given next year's scenario.

Wow, you've managed to jumble together a dozen things together that have no bearing on your original point. The cap hold has no bearing on an in season trade, it is entirely irrelevant. You cannot renounce a hold in season for a waived player.....that option doesn't exist or better yet it doesn't matter because the cap is calculated by actual SALARY........not holds which only come into play during FREE AGENCY. Your quote even spells that out. I mean wow, if team's bills were determined by holds then every team will be in the lux tax every year.

Now you finally made a lick sense by discussing the LT but that was not your original point at all and even then, the luxury tax is still a choice not some actual barrier stopping teams. You are just trying to switch the narrative, this is not your first mention of "noooooo that can't happen, too many players" but now you are trying to say it's a matter of "should we?"..........uhm, please. If Phoenix hypothetically offered Wes Johnson, Kendall Marshall, Markieff Morris and both theirs and the Lakers' pick in 2013 there is absolutely nothing that "could" or "should" stop that. You've been arguing a minutiae that simply doesn't exist no matter how hard you try to muddle it with irrelevant information.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I know nothing of this cap and CBA and all that jazz. I'm tripping off Steve Smith in he AJC today saying "let him take a few jumpers...why not?" Wtf Steve?

I saw that too. I think someone has the real Steve tied up in a car trunk somewhere. I'm thinking if Steve was playing on the same team he wouldn't be telling Josh that. In some ways i can see his point but that sounds more to me like a guy who hasn't watched a lot of Hawks games this year.

Could this be the year the Hawks actually trade Josh Smith? Probably my imagination but there seems to be a lot more rumors (Nets, Suns, Mavericks, Lakers, etc) than in the past so could a deal trading Smith really be getting ready to take place? Up to now, I really didn't think so but the more I read the more I think it is really going to happen (my guess is the deal will be with the Nets with possibly a third team getting involved). And, I really do like Josh Smith and there is no doubt he is very talented and I hope if he is traded that he goes to a team AND coach that can take advantage of his talents!

If Josh Smith keeps playing the next few games like he played tonight he will be doing the Hawks a big favor! He had an outstanding game tonight with 26 points, 13 rebounds and 6 assists. This game might have raised his trade value/price! But, if he keeps playing like this the Hawks might have too think really hard about trading him at all.