• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mavs & Suns reportedly going hard after Smoove

ATLscrubLove

Marion is a true SF. That is a plus. We get Marion + MAYO and that is a done deal. Anyone who wouldn't sign off on that is freakin crazy. However, I'm not nearly as happy if it is Marion, carter and a pick. But honestly I'd still probably do it though just to take a chance with the pick.I'd also do Smooth for Jefferson.

shawn marion is 34 almost 35 years old..... Vc is 35....... think for a sec how does that help us in the long run.

• Like 3

I'd like a lotto pick from either one of them. Let's keep this team young. I would sign off on a Marion/Wright/1st deal in a second, mostly because Marion's not expensive and plays SF decently.

The Suns could potentially pull together a better offer so if they can beat the above one, take it. I'd like a shot at one of the top prospects. This draft has a reputation as a weak one but I think players like Shabazz, Len, and Robinson can be real nice players in a couple of years. Alex Len in particular has really impressed me lately. He's a 7'1 C out of Ukraine (plays for Maryland) who has a nice touch, can pass, can step out and hit jumpers, blocks shots and runs the floor like a gazelle. I have no idea why he's projected to go around 10th in a lot of mocks. I think he should be top 5 easy.

Where did this coming hard stuff come from? All I can find is this from hoopshype ... In #NBA news: Two teams to watch out for to make deals for Josh Smith before the deadline: #Suns and #Mavs1:14pm - 9 Feb 13

Yea I'm now sure. I only saw that on Hoopshype as well. I just saw a report that the Nets are going hard as well... Not sure what to believe right now.

• Premium Member

Yea I'm now sure. I only saw that on Hoopshype as well. I just saw a report that the Nets are going hard as well... Not sure what to believe right now.

All of these rumors seem to be wishful thinking, especially the Nets rumor reported by Broussard. Smh, anything to rip off the Hawks. I think it's evident it will take more than table scraps to get Josh. I really don't believe the Hawks will trade him.

So JJ is giving a positive endorsement for Josh?

I dont think so I just think the nets are looking for an talent upgrade at the PF position and smoove is probably the most talented PF being shopped right now. Their PF rotation consist of reggie evans, humphries, and that rookie teletovic.

their owner just wants to put the most talented team on the floor no matter the cost. If he didnt he wouldnt of approved of billy king getting joe johnson Posted Image

the only thing i want from brooklyn would be picks and expiring contracts that matches smoove's salary. if smoove actually goes to brooklyn it would be entertaining as hell watching him get killed by the NY media and put on the national spotlight for his bonehead plays Posted Image

Nets have nothing to offer us. I don't want Kris humprhies or Gerald Wallace and if we wanted Marshon Brooks we should have demand he was included in the Joe trade.

we did demand marshon brooks but the nets wouldnt budge so ferry backed off in fear of the nets walking away from the deal

• Moderators

Not interested in anything that the those two teams have to offer. Not even Dirk. O.J Mayo is a considerable value player with a PER of 17.14 and being paid $4.0 mil, but he is a FA this offseason and that Hawks could sign him outright for $6.5 mil/yr. I'd rather be greedy and have chance to get everyone.

C - DH12 ($18 mil/yr)

PF - Horf ($12 mil/yr)

SF - Josh ($14.0 mil/yr)

SG - Mayo ($6.5 mil/yr)

PG - Teague ($6.5 mil/yr)

That's a damn good starting unit to make a title run with. $57 mil invested in the starters with $7 mil left before tax ($7 mil includes Lou and JJ12 taken out of the $13 mil left). Retain Korver or Zaza with the MLE (Up to $5.15 mil for up to 4 years), resign Ivan ($1.5 mil/yr), pick up Scott's option ($750,000), and fill the rest with draft picks ($3.5 mil/yr). A$G ponies up small amount of tax money. Maybe will get a little lucky and Josh and Dwight will take less to make it work easier... The X factor is Teague willing to put off getting paid like Holiday and I wonder how much Morrow being gone would affect DH12. For our draft picks, I'd have it as a SF, 3rd PG, 3rd C, and a PF.

Total investment:

$57 mil for starters

$18 mil for bench

$75 mil for the team, lux tax starts at $70.4 mil, so in essence Lou is our tax guy.

F*ck trading anybody, be greedy and get everybody. Posted Image Worse to worse, we end up with egg on our faces, but STILL have a ton of cap space for this and future offseasons.

Marion is a true SF. That is a plus. We get Marion + MAYO and that is a done deal. Anyone who wouldn't sign off on that is freakin crazy. However, I'm not nearly as happy if it is Marion, carter and a pick. But honestly I'd still probably do it though just to take a chance with the pick.I'd also do Smooth for Jefferson.

The sad thing is that Shawn Marion plays EXACTLY the way most people want Josh Smith to play. Shawn just went for 26 points and 11 rebounds last night vs Golden State. But people quickly dismiss Marion because he's 34. Forget that he was a BETTER all-around athlete than Josh in his prime, and is still an elite level athlete. Forget that a lot of guys in their mid-30s are still playing much better than a lot of these kids.

Just like you said, the combination of Marion + Mayo would make dealing Josh a no-brainer.

Per 36 minute numbers: Smith vs Marion

Smith - 17.0 ( on 15.8 shots ) . . . . . Marion 14.0 - ( on 12.2 shots )

REBOUNDS:

Smith - 8.6 ( 2.0 offensive ) . . . . . Marion - 10 ( 2.7 offensive )

ASSISTS:

Smith - 4 . . . . . Marion - 3

STEALS:

Smith - 1.3 . . . . . Marion - 1.1

BLOCKS:

Smith - 2.2 . . . . . Marion - 0.8

TURNOVERS:

Smith - 3.1 . . . . . Marion - 1.8

FG%:

Smith - 45.1. . . . . Marion - 50.2

3FG%:

Smith - 32.4 ( on 2.3 att ) . . . . . Marion - 32.6 ( on 1.2 att )

FT%:

Smith - 50.8 ( on 4 att ) . . . . . Marion - 82.8 ( on 1.6 att )

TS%:

Smith - 48.5 . . . . . Marion - 54.2

Usage%

Smith - 26.7 . . . . . Marion - 18.5

Off Rating:

Smith - 94 . . . . . Marion - 109

Def Rating:

Smith - 100 . . . . . Marion - 105

PER:

Smith - 17.2 . . . . . Marion - 17.5

The "old man" is putting up overall comparable numbers that the young Josh Smith is. And Josh is supposedly at his peak as a player. And in key areas, he's even better.

What most people continue to fail to understand is that Josh Smith's replacement at PF is AL HORFORD. And Al's replacement at center is Zaza, who always seems to play better as a starter, than as a reserve. Adding Marion to the mix simply strengthens the SF spot and gives Teague much more control over the offense.

Then you add a scorer like OJ Mayo to the mix, and the trade is a no-brainer.

I guess people are wanting 5 years worth of assets in a Josh Smith trade. Well we're not going to get that. So we need to get whatever is the best deal out there . . . if we trade him at all.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

That's cool if you feel that way. However, I'm sure Ferry values Josh much more than that and won't accept crap deals for him.

LOL . . he accepted a crap deal for Joe Johnson. All we got out of that deal is "hope and flexibility". That deal means nothing if we can't use that money to get an elite player in the next 2 years.

EDIT: My bad . . . he did get Kyle Korver out of that deal ( via the trade exception ). And since Kyle is more popular than JJ, and a better standstill shooter, that makes the JJ trade worthwhile, regardless of what we'll do in the future.

Edited by northcyde