Somebody's gone

thecampster

Okay, here's the smoking gun for me.

Ken Berger
@KBergCBS

Hawks have interest in bringing
Pargo back, but for now intend to keep roster spot open for flexibility
through trade deadline, source says.

Here's that all important extra roster spot I keep talking about in order to make a trade of Al or Josh possible. We are approximately 5 million under the LT. Start looking at players who either A make 17-18.2 million or B. have a problem contract but nice low priced pieces to add.

There is no reason not to re-sign Pargo with only 2 points on the roster now (one injury prone and Josh doesn't count) unless something is up.

Okay, here's the smoking gun for me. Here's that all important extra roster spot I keep talking about in order to make a trade of Al or Josh possible. We are approximately 5 million under the LT. Start looking at players who either A make 17-18.2 million or B. have a problem contract but nice low priced pieces to add. There is no reason not to re-sign Pargo with only 2 points on the roster now (one injury prone and Josh doesn't count) unless something is up.

Ferry will not trade Al unless we're getting Durant Lebron Carmelo or another superstar

• Moderators

I'm starting to lean towards Pachulia/Harris/Korver/Ex-Nets/Picks getting dealt, especially if Josh and Al keeps up their recent play. Josh has said that in the offseason he will take a hard look at resigning with the Hawks. Sounds to me that Josh wants to stay even if it's less than the max. Al, Josh, and Teague are a great start to building a contender, but as Ferry has mentioned, you can't build a contender with a roster full of max deals under this new CBA. Al signed a team-friendly deal and now it's Josh's turn.

And I wouldn't read too much into Pargo not being re-upt. That roster spot was open all season until Lou and Harris went down. Now that Harris is healthy, Pargo is just taking up space. Ferry is just keeping it clear just in case something happens and shouldn't be confused with that something is going to happen.

I think you are reading into something that is not there. Yes, your story could fit but that does not mean it is the only story that can fit in this scenario.

For one, it would cost the Hawks the entire rest of the season salary guaranteed. You may think that is cheap, but then look at the A$G and think back to them selling 2nd round draft picks. This is a cheap team. Very cheap. Another reason could be that other teams will make trades that will force them to cut players or buy them out, maybe someone better than Pargo. Or perhaps there is already someone out there that Danny has his eye on?

I think you are reading into something that is not there. Yes, your story could fit but that does not mean it is the only story that can fit in this scenario.

For one, it would cost the Hawks the entire rest of the season salary guaranteed. You may think that is cheap, but then look at the A$G and think back to them selling 2nd round draft picks. This is a cheap team. Very cheap. Another reason could be that other teams will make trades that will force them to cut players or buy them out, maybe someone better than Pargo. Or perhaps there is already someone out there that Danny has his eye on?

Well there is only one game left until the all-star break so a trade isn't definite but I honestly think it's likely at this point.

Ferry should know this team isn't close enough to compete this season. However with this roster we aren't completely far and away from competing next season. I don't think Ferry will pull the trigger on a deal unless it helps this team in a big way. I have always been questionable about his ability as a GM, but I am going to give him a clean slate. I don't think we see a trade just to make a change.

It's gives the Hawks the flexibility of doing a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal without placing a guy on waivers and hoping you don't get stuck with paying his contract if no team picks them up their guaranteed contract.........a guy like Petro would probably not get picked up on waivers.We also can't forget Josh's trade kicker that makes us bring back about 4 mill of additional salary.....if memory serves correct.

It's gives the Hawks the flexibility of doing a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deal without placing a guy on waivers and hoping you don't get stuck with paying his contract if no team picks them up their guaranteed contract.........a guy like Petro would probably not get picked up on waivers. We also can't forget Josh's trade kicker that makes us bring back about 4 mill of additional salary.....if memory serves correct.

It depends on what day Josh is traded because his trade kicker keeps going down in value.

The kicker calls for an immediate payment of 15% of the remaining value of the contract. Josh's base salary right now is $13,200,000 and to make things really simple let's say we are halfway through the season. That means Josh is immediately due ($13,200,000/2)*0.15 = $990,000 by either the Hawks or the future team if he is traded halfway. As far as how this affects Josh's caphit, well that kicker amount is added onto his base salary. This would mean, Josh's caphit for a trade would be roughly $14,190,000. Now this value is going down everyday because you always calculate the trade kicker as 15% of the remaining value of the contract and you actually pro-rate this value. So the value is (# days left in NBA Season / # days in NBA Season), which is a fraction that is getting smaller and smaller.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/336953-smooves-trade-kicker/?p=386365

Now that I think about it, I wonder if those NBA trade machines actually account for this? I don't use them so I wouldn't know.

It depends on what day Josh is traded because his trade kicker keeps going down in value. The kicker calls for an immediate payment of 15% of the remaining value of the contract. Josh's base salary right now is $13,200,000 and to make things really simple let's say we are halfway through the season. That means Josh is immediately due ($13,200,000/2)*0.15 = $990,000 by either the Hawks or the future team if he is traded halfway. As far as how this affects Josh's caphit, well that kicker amount is added onto his base salary. This would mean, Josh's caphit for a trade would be roughly $14,190,000. Now this value is going down everyday because you always calculate the trade kicker as 15% of the remaining value of the contract and you actually pro-rate this value. So the value is (# days left in NBA Season / # days in NBA Season), which is a fraction that is getting smaller and smaller. http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/336953-smooves-trade-kicker/?p=386365 Now that I think about it, I wonder if those NBA trade machines actually account for this? I don't use them so I wouldn't know.

Thanks for the clarity on the trade kicker.

It depends on what day Josh is traded because his trade kicker keeps going down in value.

The kicker calls for an immediate payment of 15% of the remaining value of the contract. Josh's base salary right now is $13,200,000 and to make things really simple let's say we are halfway through the season. That means Josh is immediately due ($13,200,000/2)*0.15 = $990,000 by either the Hawks or the future team if he is traded halfway. As far as how this affects Josh's caphit, well that kicker amount is added onto his base salary. This would mean, Josh's caphit for a trade would be roughly $14,190,000. Now this value is going down everyday because you always calculate the trade kicker as 15% of the remaining value of the contract and you actually pro-rate this value. So the value is (# days left in NBA Season / # days in NBA Season), which is a fraction that is getting smaller and smaller.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/336953-smooves-trade-kicker/?p=386365

Now that I think about it, I wonder if those NBA trade machines actually account for this? I don't use them so I wouldn't know.

You know in all of our conversations we rarely mention this but it is true. I spoke about it in another thread a few days ago that it was technically a percentage and I wasn't sure if it was yearly/season or games based. I'm fairly sure its based on games and not season dates. So in all of our talk of being able to take back about 5 million more in salary without going over the LT, that may not be true when discussing total contract value. We've played 50 of 82 games so we currently have 39% of our games remaining. The math would be to divide 5 million by .39 which = a little over 12 million. But NBA rules say the total salaries have to be 150%. So if you are only trading Smith, 50% of 13.2 million is 6.6 million. Technically you could take back an 19.8 million in salary (Josh's salary +50%) but for salary spent (ie cap/LT provisions) that salary would only count as 13.2 + (.39*6.6) or 2.58 million. I really don't know, I'm just adding to confusion for the sake of wondering if anyone else knows how the salary total is figured against the trade rules in a midseason trade.

You know in all of our conversations we rarely mention this but it is true. I spoke about it in another thread a few days ago that it was technically a percentage and I wasn't sure if it was yearly/season or games based. I'm fairly sure its based on games and not season dates. So in all of our talk of being able to take back about 5 million more in salary without going over the LT, that may not be true when discussing total contract value. We've played 50 of 82 games so we currently have 39% of our games remaining. The math would be to divide 5 million by .39 which = a little over 12 million. But NBA rules say the total salaries have to be 150%. So if you are only trading Smith, 50% of 13.2 million is 6.6 million. Technically you could take back an 19.8 million in salary (Josh's salary +50%) but for salary spent (ie cap/LT provisions) that salary would only count as 13.2 + (.39*6.6) or 2.58 million. I really don't know, I'm just adding to confusion for the sake of wondering if anyone else knows how the salary total is figured against the trade rules in a midseason trade.

It is based on days and not games. If it was on games, then you could have the strange scenario where someone gets paid 85/82 of their salary and that is just crazy talk.

And for trade purposes, use ~$14,190,000 to then calculate the traded player exception. The 150% you have does not apply here, since the the outgoing salary for the Hawks is between $9.8 million to $19.6 million the Hawks would use the $5 million "exception" so long as we stay as a non-taxpayer. If we become a taxpayer because of a trade, then we are allowed to take back 125% + $100,000. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

I decided I might as well calculate out the days. It was real easy after I found this handy date calculator http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

First Day of NBA Season: October 30th

Last Day of NBA Season: April 17th

Total Days: 170 Days

Today we have 64 days left. If Josh was traded today, the caphit to use in a trade would be:

($13,200,000*(64/170))*0.15 + $13,200,000 = $13,945,411.77

This value will decrease by $11,647.06 everyday until February 21st. And now, Dolfan can be pleased that I shared some information with the class.

This is where the Whoops in Peachtree wHoops comes from:

The most problematic thing is getting value in return for Smith who is unlikely to give any team an indication that he will re-sign this summer as it is much better for him to keep all of his options open at this time. His 15% trade kicker is another hoop to jump through as well as Ferry's desire to enter the offseason and be a major player in free agency.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/2/13/3985486/josh-smith-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks-free-agency

Whoops, if the Whoopers would just look at the squawk once in a while they could get me to drop the W. It is sad that C-Viv has forced me to read their website for information.

This is where the Whoops in Peachtree wHoops comes from: http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/2/13/3985486/josh-smith-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks-free-agency Whoops, if the Whoopers would just look at the squawk once in a while they could get me to drop the W. It is sad that C-Viv has forced me to read their website for information.

Maybe they figured most wouldnt understand if broken down lie you did it? Plus 99% here including me didn't know it was based on number of days. Maybe you should volunteer as their cap expert on loan from Hawksquawk?