• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

3 years/47 million

• Moderators

That is the max that can be offered to him right now is what i understand. We can't offer more until the end of the season. that is the max extension.

This is old but i think relevant

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/14/report-josh-smith-wont-sign-an-extension-hawks-can-thank-the-new-cba/

Josh Smith has told the Hawks that he isnt going to sign an extension during the season. Hed rather wait to become a free agent, when he can get a five-year deal. An extension would limit him to a three-year deal, according to the new CBA rules. New GM Danny Ferry has upwards of 10 players who could be free agents at seasons end

via Failure to launch … Knee injury aside, Jeremy Lin may not be what Houston Rockets bargained for – NY Daily News.

This is pretty much the inherent flaw in the new CBA. The conceptual design was to enable teams to retain their players. But instead, it’s created an environment where there’s no incentive for veteran stars to sign extensions which are limited by at least one year over what they can get in free agency, and two over what they can get by re-signing once their contracts expire.

This doesn’t mean he won’t return to the Hawks, but it definitely leaves the door open to a departure, especially when you consider that Smith has been pushing for a trade for multiple seasons. There’s been no indication from Ferry whether he considers Smith to be the focus of the Hawks’ future or whether he’d rather move him for a rebuilding package.

So, like usual, the Hawks’ situation remains in flux.

Edited by macdaddy

Kind of scary that we offered him that much over 3 years, which I'm guessing is the most we could have offered him. Does that also mean that we'll also offer him the full amount of 5 years as well? I certainly hope not as that would cripple the team financially.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Kind of scary that we offered him that much over 3 years, which I'm guessing is the most we could have offered him. Does that also mean that we'll also offer him the full amount of 5 years as well? I certainly hope not as that would cripple the team financially.

I see no way we offer that much over 5. I think 3 years, even at an inflated salary, is a much lower risk and he could probably still easily be traded the next couple. Maybe even more easily with him being signed.

I think this was actually offered before the season and declined. I think Ferry knew he'd turn it down. I know Smith enjoyed the red carpet treatment in Philly last time. Why not at least give that a whirl again.

• Like 1

Josh was smart if he turned that down. He and his agent know that Josh is at least going to get a 60 mill contract from someone this summer. You may see some of these younger players who are about to come off of their rookie contract, sign an extension. But when a player has a chance to really make that big money contract in his 3rd deal as an unrestricted FA, he's not going to take that extension before he hits free agency.

Edited by northcyde

Apparently Ferry offered 3yrs/mil to Josh and his agent. They turned down offer. (No link heard on radio)

I can't imagine Ferry paying him $16 mill per year.

Ferry may have done it as political posturing. He can alwayse say I offered Josh the maxium extension allowed under the CBA (3 years and $47 mill)..........knowing full well Josh, and his agent, will hold out for a 4 or 5 year contract when he is an actual free agent.

It will be interesting to see how Josh is playing in years 4 and 5 of his next contract when he is 31 and 32 years old........and is just another guy in terms of athletic ability then.

I would cautious to believe anyting 1st reported by 790 AM in Atlanta.

Edited by coachx

I see no way we offer that much over 5. I think 3 years, even at an inflated salary, is a much lower risk and he could probably still easily be traded the next couple. Maybe even more easily with him being signed.

I think this was actually offered before the season and declined. I think Ferry knew he'd turn it down. I know Smith enjoyed the red carpet treatment in Philly last time. Why not at least give that a whirl again.

Ya...........but Philly never offered him. They signed Elton Brand instead.....which they probably regret. Smith was left to rot on the vine for a month before Memphis did him a favor by giving him a 5 year / $58 mill contract which Altanta matched. Atlanta could have signed him for even less then that had Memphis not stepped up to the plate after all other free agent options had already signed.

This was back when he was an up and coming 23 year old when one may assume his market value was higher due to the better possibility of "upside."

Edited by coachx

I don't know who is reporting this, but to be a jerk this cannot be right.

The maximum extension that Josh can receive is for 3 years at a salary starting of 107.5% of his previous years salary. That puts his starting salary at $14,190,000. This can have 7.5% raises, which means an increase of $1,064,250 for each year.

$14,190,000

$15,254,250

$16,318,500

Total: $45,762,750 over 3 years.

Sounds like somewhere along the way $45.7 million became $47 million. This is why we need subtitles in everyday conversations.

As a bit of a side note, Josh had $100,000 annual performance incentives within his contract. From digging through Shamsports.com, it appears Josh met this criteria in the 09-10 season and has not done it since (maybe this year!). This can affect the value of the contract, but it is not large enough to get the total value to $46.5 million which is the necessary requirement set by me to call a contract to be valued at $47 million. A performance incentive can only be termed in a positive manner (i.e. cannot be shoot less than X threes) and required to be set by a value that is not dependent on previous/future performance (i.e. improving FT%). To me, this would imply an incentive for number of games played or a particular value for total assists, blocks, rebounds, or steals.

I don't know who is reporting this, but to be a jerk this cannot be right.

The maximum extension that Josh can receive is for 3 years at a salary starting of 107.5% of his previous years salary. That puts his starting salary at $14,190,000. This can have 7.5% raises, which means an increase of $1,064,250 for each year.

$14,190,000

$15,254,250

$16,318,500

Total: $45,762,750 over 3 years.

Sounds like somewhere along the way $45.7 million became $47 million. This is why we need subtitles in everyday conversations.

As a bit of a side note, Josh had $100,000 annual performance incentives within his contract. From digging through Shamsports.com, it appears Josh met this criteria in the 09-10 season and has not done it since (maybe this year!). This can affect the value of the contract, but it is not large enough to get the total value to $46.5 million which is the necessary requirement set by me to call a contract to be valued at $47 million. A performance incentive can only be termed in a positive manner (i.e. cannot be shoot less than X threes) and required to be set by a value that is not dependent on previous/future performance (i.e. improving FT%). To me, this would imply an incentive for number of games played or a particular value for total assists, blocks, rebounds, or steals.

Is that the same extension that could have been offered before the season started?

Is that the same extension that could have been offered before the season started?

Yes, it continues all the way up until June 30th which would trigger the end of the current NBA season. The extension can be signed at any point in time this season, but it is highly unlikely to be agreed upon.

Oddly enough, as Josh talks about deserving the "max" he has already been offered the "max" (extension). I don't see what the big deal is, JOSH WE OFFERED THE MAX BUT YOU STILL SAID NO! (hence, I am frustrated when people throw that term out there)

Yes, it continues all the way up until June 30th which would trigger the end of the current NBA season. The extension can be signed at any point in time this season, but it is highly unlikely to be agreed upon.

Oddly enough, as Josh talks about deserving the "max" he has already been offered the "max" (extension). I don't see what the big deal is, JOSH WE OFFERED THE MAX BUT YOU STILL SAID NO! (hence, I am frustrated when people throw that term out there)

What do you mean, isn't the max the same for every player?? Posted Image

Another team can offer 4 years 70 Million. Which is why I say 5 years 80... Boozer like is where we will prolly land.

Both of those amounts are too much for Josh. He should be getting a flat 12 million per season, the same as Horford. That would allow us to add a 3rd big dog to the roster, in addition to Teague and hopefully Korver.

Another team can offer 4 years 70 Million. Which is why I say 5 years 80... Boozer like is where we will prolly land.

But Diesel clearly Josh will accept the MAX contract of 4 years $70 million and not our below-MAX offer of 5 years $80 million!

What do you mean, isn't the max the same for every player?? Posted Image

Dolfan please stop shooting spitballs in class and pay attention!