• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Summary of trade rumors posted by SI just 10 minutes ago

coachx

http://nba.si.com/2013/02/19/nba-trade-deadline-rumors-tuesday-josh-smith-kevin-garnett/

The Hawks are reportedly prepared to deal Josh Smith (right) this week. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Here is the latest buzz around the NBA with two days remaining before Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline:

Josh Smith Sweepstakes

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: The Atlanta Hawks have convinced numerous teams that they’re definitely trading Josh Smith this week. … One team close to the situation consulted Monday night predicted that the Nets would ultimately land Smith via a three-way trade. … Another team pinpointed the Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks as the strongest contenders to win the Smith sweepstakes. … NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Boston Celtics have, indeed, registered their interest on the Smith front, with the caveat that they also remain highly interested in the Clippers’ Eric Bledsoe. Yet a Boston deal for Smith, sources said, would almost certainly have to be built around Paul Pierce, because Kevin Garnett isn’t waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Atlanta Hawks if he’s not willing to waive it to go to the Clipperland.

Ken Berger, CBSSports.com: The Hawks are believed to be seeking a combination of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks in exchange for Smith, whose expressed desire for a five-year, approximately $90 million max contract has cooled the market for him. Rival executives continue to believe that the Suns have been aggressive in their pursuit of Smith and other trades, but even with a potential lottery pick from the Lakers in the Steve Nash deal, execs are skeptical that Phoenix has enough attractive young players to complete the deal. The Nets and Celtics have inquired about Smith, but it’s too early to say where those talks are going.

Adreian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports: Boston’s active on several fronts, including discussions on Josh Smith. Brooklyn is solely focused on making a Smith deal. … In Josh Smith derby, several teams believe Suns are determined for deal after missing on Eric Gordon and Rudy Gay in past months.

Michael Lee, Washington Post: The Wizards have been linked to trade discussions with Atlanta for forward Josh Smith, a borderline all-star talent who is seeking a maximum contract this summer in free agency. [bradley] Beal and [John] Wall are off limits, but the Wizards may look to move one of their recent selections from the past three drafts by Thursday’s 3 p.m. deadline, with Trevor Booker and Jan Vesely also receiving limited playing time and Chris Singleton only recently escaping Coach Randy Wittman’s doghouse.

Chris Broussard, ESPN.com: In talks with ATL for Josh Smith, Wizards have said all but 3 players available: J Wall, B Beal & Nene.

Interesting rumor about the Hawks wanting to trade for picks and expiring contracts.

More expiring contracts you say?

This team is going to be very different next year.

If we get even more expiring's, this will be the most epic Hawks off-season ever. Probably will be either way, but d-d-dayum.

So let me get this straight...We are interested in trading Josh Smith's expiring contract for another player's expiring contract?Posted Image

Lol, good point. So, I guess the picks are the kicker or maybe some of the expiring contracts are worth re-upping?

So let me get this straight...We are interested in trading Josh Smith's expiring contract for another player's expiring contract?Posted Image

Well DUH! How can you not understand? Expirings, poison pills, draft picks, frontloading, the rhythm method, no-trade clause, compensation, MAX, sign and trades. These buzzwords are always important right now in the NBA. Just use them wherever you think they are fit in a rumored deal. Words are always more important than understanding.

/sarcasm

I understand the logic, we want in return draft picks and young prospects while not compromising our cap space. For example if we trade with Milwaukee for Ellis, Henson and a draft pick, you have Henson and a pick and still be able to sign Ellis or even Josh Smith because your cap space stays the same, I cannot understand why you guys don't understand...

That's what I keep saying but no one is listening. Josh is already an expiring. Makes no sense to trade him for existing salary unless you really like the player (so the scrub rumors are bogus) and makes no sense to trade him for expiring contracts and picks unless you really, really like the picks (top 10 ish). And trading Josh for picks is bound to improve the team you trade him to's playoff chances making the picks more likely to suck. All makes no sense. Danny is smarter than that.