• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh's Market: Now and This Summer (Some Hope)

AHF

• Moderators

A little more insight on what was offered for him:

The Bucks' trade package featured Beno Udrih's expiring contract and Luc Mbah a Moute.

See more at: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226444/Bucks-Refused-To-Inclue-Ellis-Ilyasova-In-Trade-Talks-For-Smith#sthash.Enq6rU7s.dpuf

Wow. If that is what the package featured, they were offering us a Udrih's expiring contract and a negative value, multi-year salary for Josh. Talk about an automatic decision to hold him and play out the year.

Once again, Ferry is moving his chess pieces in the right way. We only have three players, 3!, under contract for next year. Horf, Jenkins, and Lou... blink is a RFA. And our team is surging and playing awesome right now. I can see him smoking a Cuban spinning around in a leather chair imagining all the possibilities. if He can get Smoove back at his price... Great! I'm a fan! But if someone has the sac to offer him a max deal (which I think will happen) so be it... And I think Ferry has other plans moving forward. Right now DF has all the chips and a good set of cards... Lets beat the Suns tonight and keep this rolling.

This article (very long by Bill Simmons) but worth the read about how the new CBA is causing teams to form their financial decisions for the future

Entire article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9002028/the-best-bargains-nba

1. By making tax penalties so much more potent, the league subtly changed the way basketball teams can be constructed. Already this season, we've seen two contenders willfully jeopardize their title chances for financial reasons. Oklahoma City traded James Harden because they couldn't afford his next contract. Memphis traded Rudy Gay because they couldn't afford his current contract.

2.Bet on the wrong two guys and it might take years to recover, as any Orlando Magic fan will tell you. But if you don't bet on anyone, it might take years to recover as well … as any Dallas Mavericks fan who misses Tyson Chandler will tell you. It's all about what you're spending, and how you're spending it, and on whom, and for how long. Once upon a time, just drafting well, making smart signings and stockpiling good players was enough. Not anymore. And you can thank Billy Hunter for that one

Best Deals which can be separated into five categories:

Category 1: Any lottery pick still on his rookie deal

You don't need me to explain that it's beneficial to have Kyrie Irving locked in at $11.4 million through 2014, with a team option for the next two years at another $17.2 million. Cleveland sucked, landed the first pick, drafted the right guy, and paid him rookie scale. We're skipping these guys because there's little to no ingenuity involved.

Category 2: Any other first-rounder on a rookie deal who stayed with that team

You know, killer bargains like Kenneth "Don't Ever Call Me Ken" Faried (4 years remaining, $8.6 million); Avery "If I Don't Make a First-Team All-Defense Someday, Just Assume Something Went Horribly Wrong" Bradley (3 years, $7.7 million); Jimmy "I'm Quietly Making Luol Deng Expendable for a Pau Gasol Trade This Summer" Butler (4 years, $7.6 million); Larry "Everything Is Better When I'm Involved, and I Mean Everything" Sanders (3 years, $9.3 million); Eric "Utah Will Regret Not Trading for Me" Bledsoe (3 years, $8 million); and even Festus "I Cost About One-Tenth What Biedrins and Bogut Cost Combined and I Might Be More Reliable" Ezeli (3 years, $3.2 million). Again, not enough ingenuity involved.

Category 3: Expiring deals

Sorry, Jarrett Jack ($5.58 million), David West ($10 million), J.J. Redick ($6.0 million), J.R. Smith ($2.8 million), Corey Brewer ($3.2 million), Matt Barnes ($1.23 million), Mike Dunleavy ($3.8 million), Paul Millsap ($8.6 million), J.J. Hickson ($4 million) and every other expiring contract — your deals are up in four months and many of you might get overpaid. Well, except for you, Nik Pekovic ($4.8 million). I'm not sure you can overpay someone who can take a punch like this.

Category 4: Any seemingly benevolent extension kicking in next season

Specifically, Serge Ibaka (next 4 years: $49 million), Ty Lawson (4 years, $48 million), Jrue Holiday ($44 million) and Stephen Curry (4 years: $44 million). All four deals looked steep and/or risky in October; four months later, they range from "well-priced" to "brilliant" thanks to the way all four elevated their games. But if you're wondering how these extensions occasionally could go wrong, click on this link. And cover your eyes if you're a Wizards fan.

Category 5: Cap-appealing assets that range from "Nice!" to "THAT'S ROBBERY!"

My favorite category because we're rewarding teams for either (a) snaring a free agent for less than he's worth, (b) trading for a young asset on his rookie deal, © locking someone up to an improbably cheap extension, (d) convincing a veteran star to take a massive discount, (e) convincing LeBron James to play for them, or (f) stealing a valuable asset in the second round (just about the most helpful move you can make in the Super-Strict Salary Cap Era).

BEST BARGAINS FOR 2013-2014 SEASON:

16. Joakim Noah (Bulls): 4 years, $50.5 million
15. Danny Green (Spurs): 3 years, $11.3 million
You can always find cheap perimeter guys who can defend and shoot 3s. Heck, look at this page so far. Notice the preponderance of cheap perimeter assets? They're always kicking around.

And if you have the kind of system that rewards specific types of players — say, a long-armed defender who makes corner 3s, or a run-and-gun streak shooter — that's even better. The Spurs realized after their Richard Jefferson catastrophe that they should never pay anyone eight figures other than Parker, Duncan and Ginobili — essentially, they decided to wager on their drafting (Kawhi Leonard) and waiver wire savvy (Green) for that position, hitting the jackpot twice

14. Rajon Rondo (Celtics): 3 years, $36 million
13. Omer Asik (Rockets): 3 years, $25.1 million
12. Konstantine Demetrios Koufos (Nuggets): 3 years, $9 million
11. Nikola Vucevic (Magic): 4 years, $10.6 million
10. Ray Allen (Heat): 2 years, $6.3 million
9. Shane Battier (Heat): 2 years, $6.4 million

8. Greivis Vasquez (Hornets): 3 years, $6.5 million
8. Greivis Vasquez (Hornets): 3 years, $6.5 million

7. Chandler Parsons (Rockets): 3 years, $2.78 million

6. Marc Gasol (Grizzlies): 3 years, $44.6 million

5. Al Horford (Hawks): 4 years, $48 millionHe signed a five-year, $60 million extension in November of 2010, so we're only in Year 2 of what almost immediately became a doozy of a bargain for the Hawks. He's the league's 41st highest-paid player right now, earning significantly less than peers like Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph and Chris Bosh. Carlos Boozer and Al Jefferson make 25 percent more per year than Horford does. Heck, Kris Humphries makes as much per year as Horford does. 4. Kevin Garnett (Celtics), 3 years, $36 million
3. Tim Duncan (Spurs): 3 years, $30.4 million

2. Tony Parker (Spurs): 3 years, $37.5 million
1. LeBron James (Heat): 2 years, $36.6 million