• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

SMH @ATLIENS..HOPE J SMOOTH RETIRES A HAWK..

LastDon

I'm from Mississippi and have been down with the hawks through thick and thin since the Dominique Era and I just think it's sad how the fair weather fans who are Native of Atlanta view the players and the team especially J Smooth.

It's just disgusting to see how year after year we bash our own players and then once those players leave and go to other teams how they are finally appreciated. I've seen this happen with guys like Jet Terry, Deke, and Joe Johnson to name a few. I think that the hometown fans lack of team loyalty, and knowledge of basketball is one of the reason the national media throws these garabage trade rumors out there.. I just thought it was really sad how some of you jump all over the idea of trading a versatile player like Smith for scraps like Gortat, Udoh..It's sad how some of you have even bought into the notion that Al Horford is the best player on the team like how the media wants u to believe. I never see anyone mention dumping him even though he has underachieved for a guy who was drafted 3rd in the draft.

But don't get me wrong I like Al and personally feel like the issue with the team is not the 4 and 5 positions. The Josh/Al combo hasn't been our downfall it has been not having a closer to finish the game. Joe could have been that for us but he bought into the fans pleas to take the ball to the basket instead of playing to his strengths and winning games like Reggie Miller. Last season he did more closing games on jumpers and has continued success doing so this season for Brookyln and being praised by the media with names such as Joe Clutch. If Horford hadn't been a lil bitch and came back game one of the Celtic series last season we would have easily beat boston and been a serious threat to Miami.

But when people finally get there wish and run the hometown kid away and he starts putting up those 20/20 games for another team he will finally get the praise he deserve and talents will no longer go under the radar. I'm glad Ferry stayed pat because we have the supporting cast and just need someone to fill that void left by Joe and be a true number 1 option..Hopefully we resign Smith and bring in that go to guy and we can get over the hump. I love the nucleus of Smith/Horford/Teague and we just need to add one more piece and we can contend..we are not that far away people so stop with all this bullshit of trying to morgage the whole farm for nothing.

Edited by LastDon
  • Like 3

While I appreciate the respectful nature of your post, I must disagree about JJ.

I find it hilarious to see all the good vibrations by Net fans who are absolutely gushing over their new superstar, who hits game winning jumpers now and for eternity.

This is a train wreck in slow motion. Just wait till the BX gets a load of JJ in the playoffs. Let's see how they feel about their shrinking violet of a superstar come playoff time.

This is gonna be good.....

Are we supposed to take this serious or is this satire ?

Sometimes its hard to tell.

I have lived within 50 miles of Atlanta my entier life and only cheer for the home team..........However, I think $70 - $92 mill can be better spent over the next 5 tears then using it on Josh Smith from the ages of 28 - 32.

Fans don't have to agree and just b/c some may not agree with your opinions doesn't mean they are any less of fan then you are.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

While I appreciate the respectful nature of your post, I must disagree about JJ.

I find it hilarious to see all the good vibrations by Net fans who are absolutely gushing over their new superstar, who hits game winning jumpers now and for eternity.

This is a train wreck in slow motion. Just wait till the BX gets a load of JJ in the playoffs. Let's see how they feel about their shrinking violet of a superstar come playoff time.

This is gonna be good.....

At least that's what you HOPE will happen.

The fact is that JJ doesn't have to be Superman on a nightly basis in Brooklyn. After having his great night vs the Bucks on Tuesday, he played horribly on Wednesday. But because he plays on a better TEAM, they were still able to pull out the victory.

And that's the difference between JJ in Brooklyn and JJ in Atlanta. Because in Atlanta, if JJ didn't win the game, we weren't winning the vast majority of the time. People like you discount what JJ did in the playoffs. Our "shrinking violet" as you coined him.

Well what did the OTHER guys on the team do to win playoff games when JJ was off? Where was the monster games or game winning plays from Josh Smith or Al Horford or Jamal Crawford or anybody else to help us win a game, when JJ was struggling? Where was Smith and Horford 2 years ago vs Chicago, when the Bulls basically tried to shut down both JJ and Jamal ( who both torched the Bulls in Game 1 ). They did ball in at least one game . . . Game 4 . . . when all 3 of them played well.

The most memorable playoff wins in this franchise recent history ALL center around JJ either playing great offensive basketball, or the entire TEAM playing great defensive basketball. You won't find a single other game in which you can say that Josh Smith had a monster game and led us to victory in the playoffs. Game 4 of the Chicago series in 2011 is the closest game that you'll get to that.

Like the OP said, even last year, when Josh was getting praise for putting up volume numbers, it was JJ who was making the game winning and deciding plays at the end.

I do disagree with the OP when he says that the problem is not the 4/5 position. That's a big part of the problem. It's a problem because both Al and Josh love to shoot jumpers, and don't like to bang inside for tough points and rebounds. If just one of them would commit to doing that, we'd be better off as a team. But Josh shoots waaaay too many perimeter jumpshots. On a team full of jumpshot gunners, we need our PF in the paint battling for rebounds. But he doesn't. It's a major reason why we get punked vs physical teams, and why our own coach has called our team SOFT . . . . ( even though he coaches SOFT ).

So the only solution to this, is to play Josh at SF, and find a PF or C who will actually not leave that 12 feet and in area around the basket, so that they can get offensive rebounds and give us extra possessions.

That's why people liked a Smith for Gortat deal. Gortat isn't going to drift out to 20 feet to shoot the ball. He isn't going to act like he's the PG and bring the ball up the court.

He isn't going to randomly jack up 3 pointers. No. He's going to play like a BIG MAN and do BIG MAN things.

I'll say this again. Golden State had to make this decision, when they broke up the Monta Ellis / Stephen Curry backcourt. Thsoe two were exciting and very good together . . but it didn't maximize the potential of the team. One of them had to go so that the TEAM can be better balanced and be able to compete vs any team. So they chose the more inefficient player in Monta, and kept Stephen. And the result has been GREAT for the Warriors this year.

As this season progresses, Horford and Smith will finally prove if they can play with each other and help the team win, or if one of them has to go for the sake of the team as a whole. This schedule gets tough starting on Saturday . . with a 7 game road trip, and then with a plethora of playoff level teams the rest of the way.

If the team excels during this stretch, and can sustain it in the playoffs, Smith and Horford would have made a case to stay with each other.

If the team crashes and burns, and gets bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs ( which will happen if they crashed and burned ), then we have to make a change.

Maybe the team will be somewhere in the middle, where they don't lose ground, and possibly play Brooklyn or Chicago as a 5th or 6th seed. At that point, the jury will be out again on the duo to see if they can win that series.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Players at 27 are who they are. Josh isn't going to another team and become a 20/20 guy. In fact i'd expect his numbers to drop if he goes to a good team because they won't be letting him shoot 20 times a game.

Some guys are just winners and Horford is a winner. We aren't talking about trading him because he is on a good contract and is a very good player. Talk of trading Josh has everything to do with his ending contract and his disgruntledness. Al has neither of those.

I like Josh but i know in my gut that a bunch of good players plus Josh and Al will never get us to the finals. If we can't get a real all-star scorer and keep Josh and Al then i'd rather have the real all-star scorer and Al.

I'm from Mississippi and have been down with the hawks through thick and thin since the Dominique Era and I just think it's sad how the fair weather fans who are Native of Atlanta view the players and the team especially J Smooth.

It's just disgusting to see how year after year we bash our own players and then once those players leave and go to other teams how they are finally appreciated. I've seen this happen with guys like Jet Terry, Deke, and Joe Johnson to name a few. I think that the hometown fans lack of team loyalty, and knowledge of basketball is one of the reason the national media throws these garabage trade rumors out there.. I just thought it was really sad how some of you jump all over the idea of trading a versatile player like Smith for scraps like Gortat, Udoh..It's sad how some of you have even bought into the notion that Al Horford is the best player on the team like 1) - how the media wants u to believe. I never see anyone mention dumping him even though he has underachieved for a guy who was drafted 3rd in the draft.

But don't get me wrong I like Al and personally feel like the issue with the team is not the 4 and 5 positions. The Josh/Al combo hasn't been our downfall it has been not having a closer to finish the game. Joe could have been that for us but he bought into the fans pleas to take the ball to the basket instead of playing to his strengths and winning games like Reggie Miller. Last season he did more closing games on jumpers and has continued success doing so this season for Brookyln and being praised by the media with names such as Joe Clutch. 2) - If Horford hadn't been a lil bitch and came back game one of the Celtic series last season we would have easily beat boston and been a serious threat to Miami.

But when people finally get there wish and run the hometown kid away and 3) - he starts putting up those 20/20 games for another team he will finally get the praise he deserve and talents will no longer go under the radar. I'm glad Ferry stayed pat because we have the supporting cast and just need someone to fill that void left by Joe and be a true number 1 option..Hopefully we resign Smith and bring in that go to guy and we can get over the hump. I love the nucleus of Smith/Horford/Teague and we just need to add one more piece and we can contend..we are not that far away people so stop with all this bullshit of trying to morgage the whole farm for nothing.

1) - You are right. Fans are follow the media way too much. If the media says it, it has to be true. Like the whole "JOSH WANTS MAX." If fans did their homework they would have noticed how the question was asked and the reason why/how Josh answered it. I said Josh would take less as long as he see the team is building in the right way. Yesterday he finally backed my point.

2) - Yes, we would have won but I wouldn't call Al a "bitch." You never question a players pain... even thou some fans on this MB are pretty much thinking D12 is a bitch for not playing. Posted Image lol

3) - SLOW YOUR ROLL! I love Josh and respect his game but Josh isn't going to be a 20/20 player. Posted Image lol

• Like 2

My favorite part about this obviously satirical post is how he lambasts fairweather fans for not supporting the players on the team while taking ludicrous shots at Horford.

*tosses more food under the bridge*

• Like 2

We are winning with less talent then we had last season..it ludicrous to say that Smith and Horford are soft when we've seen these guys scrap and bang to help us win 45+games year in and year out..This thread has been made about JJ when it shouldn't be..yes JJ was flawed and not worth the 120 million and Ferry did the right thing by trading him..We got the best service out of JJ to the tune of 6 alstar appearances..The JJ that Brooklyn is going bananas about is a step slower then the JJ we had..I just feel like if we are going to dump someone it should be Al because he isnt very productive at the 4 and allow guys like Brandon Bass to handle him..Josh creates a 1/3 of his scoring opportunities so if small ball doesn't work it should be that goes..But I totally disagree about needing to abandon the Josh/Al tandem when ths center position has been totally eliminated in the modern era and guys like KG starting at center..And center not even being listed on the allstar ballot..We lost to the Celtic s during the woody era due to his love affair with a defenseless Mike Bibby..We lost to the bulls because of some MVP named Derrick Rose who was twice as good as our 120 million dollar man not because of Josh smith.Its laughable when theses theories about us being soft in the paint arise when both josh and Al average close to 10 boards..

• Like 1

It's just disgusting to see how year after year we bash our own players and then once those players leave and go to other teams how they are finally appreciated. I've seen this happen with guys like Jet Terry, Deke, and Joe Johnson to name a few. I think that the hometown fans lack of team loyalty, and knowledge of basketball is one of the reason the national media throws these garabage trade rumors out there.. I just thought it was really sad how some of you jump all over the idea of trading a versatile player like Smith for scraps like Gortat, Udoh..It's sad how some of you have even bought into the notion that Al Horford is the best player on the team like how the media wants u to believe. I never see anyone mention dumping him even though he has underachieved for a guy who was drafted 3rd in the draft.

But don't get me wrong I like Al and personally feel like the issue with the team is not the 4 and 5 positions. The Josh/Al combo hasn't been our downfall it has been not having a closer to finish the game. Joe could have been that for us but he bought into the fans pleas to take the ball to the basket instead of playing to his strengths and winning games like Reggie Miller. Last season he did more closing games on jumpers and has continued success doing so this season for Brookyln and being praised by the media with names such as Joe Clutch. If Horford hadn't been a lil bitch and came back game one of the Celtic series last season we would have easily beat boston and been a serious threat to Miami.

But when people finally get there wish and run the hometown kid away and he starts putting up those 20/20 games for another team he will finally get the praise he deserve and talents will no longer go under the radar. I'm glad Ferry stayed pat because we have the supporting cast and just need someone to fill that void left by Joe and be a true number 1 option..Hopefully we resign Smith and bring in that go to guy and we can get over the hump. I love the nucleus of Smith/Horford/Teague and we just need to add one more piece and we can contend..we are not that far away people so stop with all this bullshit of trying to morgage the whole farm for nothing.

It's J SmooVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVe. That is where I stopped reading.

We are winning with less talent then we had last season..it ludicrous to say that Smith and Horford are soft when we've seen these guys scrap and bang to help us win 45+games year in and year out..This thread has been made about JJ when it shouldn't be..yes JJ was flawed and not worth the 120 million and Ferry did the right thing by trading him..We got the best service out of JJ to the tune of 6 alstar appearances..The JJ that Brooklyn is going bananas about is a step slower then the JJ we had..I just feel like if we are going to dump someone it should be Al because he isnt very productive at the 4 and allow guys like Brandon Bass to handle him..Josh creates a 1/3 of his scoring opportunities so if small ball doesn't work it should be that goes..But I totally disagree about needing to abandon the Josh/Al tandem when ths center position has been totally eliminated in the modern era and guys like KG starting at center..And center not even being listed on the allstar ballot..We lost to the Celtic s during the woody era due to his love affair with a defenseless Mike Bibby..We lost to the bulls because of some MVP named Derrick Rose who was twice as good as our 120 million dollar man not because of Josh smith.Its laughable when theses theories about us being soft in the paint arise when both josh and Al average close to 10 boards..

Josh and Al averaging close to 10 boards means nothing, when we need one or both of them to average 12 boards . . . especially if the coach isn't going to play other frontline players. The same way we needed JJ to be a 25 ppg scorer at times, is the same way we need Smith and Horford to elevate their games to star and even superstar level on a more consistent basis when the games count.

In that 2011 playoff year, the Hawks were 6 - 0 when JJ scored 20 points or more in a game. They were 0 - 6 when he scored less than 20 points. So you're tryng to tell me that the Hawks lived and died with JJ, when most of you didn't even think he was the best player on the team? If that's the case, where was everyone else when we lost?

JJ was a reason why we lost that series, despite him averaging almost 20 ppg and shooting 49% FG and 50% 3FG. We needed him to do MORE offensively. We needed him to shoot more. But he didn't even average 16 FGA that series, which limited his impact on games.

But the reason why we needed him to do more ( other than the complete sellout effort of Jamal Crawford in the final 5 games of that series ) is because our frontline was getting punked left and right by Boozer, Noah, and Gibson. Smith got his 16 ppg and 9 rebs . . but he shot 39% FG. Horford averaged 11 points and 9 rebounds . . and shot 45% FG.

On a team that had only Zaza behind them on the frontline, they had to do more too . . . but they didn't. And they were horrible with their shooting, which cost us. Meanwhile, Boozer and Gibson were having their way with us.

That was my point in my original post. If people are going to dog JJ for not showing up in those playoff losses, that's fine. But you better call out the other "stars" of the team as well, that didn't or couldn't elevate their games. And understand that when the Hawks DID win playoff games, he was one of the major reasons why we were winning, if not THE reason.

It's crazy. As much as the kid takes a beating on these boards at times, you can honestly say that Jeff Teague has shown up in more playoff games and played well in them, than Josh Smith or Al Horford. He's really the only Hawk in the past

The entire team is soft. And they always have been soft.

Smith is soft. Horford is soft. JJ was soft when he was here. Teague is soft ( mentally ). The toughest guys on the team are Zaza and Ivan, and the dumb coach won't play them consistent enough so that they can impact the game the right ways.

I never said that any of those guys weren't talented. Talent can win you games. But when the going gets tough, the Hawks almost always fold. That's why it was difficult as hell for them to even win playoff road games vs teams they were better than.

Hell, they folded Wednesday night vs Miami. The Heat shot 78% FG in that 4th quarter, and our soft players and soft coach could do nothing about it.

People say this team doesn't have an "identity". But we do. Our identity is that we have a bunch of athletic SOFT players. And when you punch them in the mouth, we're going to whine and cry and fold up the tent.

To change that identity, you have to change out the very players that the identity fits.

The Dallas Mavericks ( a talented team ) was like that for YEARS. All the talent in the world, but ultra soft. And the other top level teams knew it.

Are we supposed to take this serious or is this satire ?

Sometimes its hard to tell.

I have lived within 50 miles of Atlanta my entier life and only cheer for the home team..........However, I think $70 - $92 mill can be better spent over the next 5 tears then using it on Josh Smith from the ages of 28 - 32.

Fans don't have to agree and just b/c some may not agree with your opinions doesn't mean they are any less of fan then you are.

Okay...tell me...who are you going to spend that money on. Be specific. Who will take that money to play here that brings more of a complete game than Smith? You need 2 because if Smith is not on the roster next year, we'll have space to sign 2 for that.

I don't understand all the hate directed at this team. You all realize no one has ever went 82-0 right? Even the toughest teams have nights where they played "soft". We've won thirty games with 29 to go without a single All-Star. Even if y'all don't see it, big-name players in the NBA are taking notice that our GM and coach have a team full of scraps in the middle of the playoff hunt and boatloads of money to throw in a few months, so they can get the money they want while making us a contender in a conference where a few players moving could change the balance of power near the top easily. What's the point of calling the team "soft" North? Soft teams cannot come from 27 down and beat a team with championship pedigree. We're in a wonderful position if you ask me. Some of y'all act like this is our team going forward and we're maxed out, which is the direct opposite of truth. We're better than the freakin Lakers and the Celtics!As far as Josh, it's pretty easy to evaluate him. If you hate him, you're right. If you love him to death, you're also spot on. If you're in the middle like me, correct again. Whatever opinion you have of him is accurate. Living enigma in the flesh.

I don't understand all the hate directed at this team. You all realize no one has ever went 82-0 right? Even the toughest teams have nights where they played "soft". We've won thirty games with 29 to go without a single All-Star. Even if y'all don't see it, big-name players in the NBA are taking notice that our GM and coach have a team full of scraps in the middle of the playoff hunt and boatloads of money to throw in a few months, so they can get the money they want while making us a contender in a conference where a few players moving could change the balance of power near the top easily. What's the point of calling the team "soft" North? Soft teams cannot come from 27 down and beat a team with championship pedigree. We're in a wonderful position if you ask me. Some of y'all act like this is our team going forward and we're maxed out, which is the direct opposite of truth. We're better than the freakin Lakers and the Celtics!As far as Josh, it's pretty easy to evaluate him. If you hate him, you're right. If you love him to death, you're also spot on. If you're in the middle like me, correct again. Whatever opinion you have of him is accurate. Living enigma in the flesh.

So this team isn't soft? I mean, even the coach called them soft, and he sees them every day.

The Hawks have always been soft. LOL @ soft teams cannot come from 27 down and beat a team. Yes they can, if they have talent. But the overall makeup of the team ( i.e. the core ) says that if they even get 15 down in a game, all you have to do is keep banging them around and be physical, and they'll fold.

Saying that the Hawks are better than the Lakers and Celtics means nothing when it comes to the Hawks.

And I hate to break this to some of you, but this will be the only year in which we have this much room under the cap. If we re-sign Smith, it will be for a minimum of 4 years. If we match an offer sheet for Jeff Teague, it will be for a minimum of 3 years. If we sign your boy Kyle Korver, it will be for a multiple year deal. And Horford will have 2 years left on his current deal. And Lou Williams is still locked up for another 3 years.

Ferry doesn't have 2 - 3 years to start to get this right. He has to get this right THIS SUMMER. Because even if he doesn't bring back any of our free agents, he has to replace them with the right type of guys that can see this team progress past the level we are today.

God forbid that Ferry re-signs Smith, but can't secure another significant piece here this summer. That would mean that the same important pieces of the team will indeed be back next year. This fan base will lose their minds, because they know it won't lead to progressing toward a championship.

Barkley used to say all the time that Joe Johnson can't be the best player on your team, if you wanted to win a championship. The same rings true about Josh Smith.

Okay...tell me...who are you going to spend that money on. Be specific. Who will take that money to play here that brings more of a complete game than Smith? You need 2 because if Smith is not on the roster next year, we'll have space to sign 2 for that.

The free agent pool deepens next year and with the 300% luxury tax kicking in there will cap casualties. I have no crystal ball but there will be playoff flops over the next 2 years where guys will be traded to cut cost......we will have the 1 year deals needed to be players in such deals. So it's not just free agency.2013 FA / Jefferson, Hickson, PekovicPossible FA of 2014 / Parker, James, Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Kobe, George, Duncan, Irving, Rubio, Bledsoe, Bradley, Iggy, Turner, Shumpert, Melo, Gay, Granger, Deng, Leonard, Favors, Gortat, Monroe, and many others.The key is flexibility because there is no crystal ball........but you need the flexibility to jump on opportunities when they arise.......and opportunities will arise as the new era of the 300% luxury tax kicks in.We can't be short sighted and think there is a magic pill to fix everything in 1 off season......the 2014 off season my be "the one.".........and it's not just FA, cap flexibility also allows you to make the trade when another team is desperate to cut cost to avoid that 300% tax.Plus I have no problem resigning Smith for the right cost........for me that is 5 years $60 mill. Edited by coachx
  • Like 1