• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tolliver 3pt shooting

modawgatl18

• Premium Member

I know with the comfortable lead we've had through out the game it doesnt matter but must this man constantly camp out at the three point line hes not really a good shooter brick after brick .........

Must be a Drewism because someone else on the team does the exact same thing with similar results.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, one of the reasons drew has SF/PF shoot so many 3's is they are trying to exploit the defensive 3 call. Being under sized at the 4/5, if you float a 4/3 to the perimeter his man has to vacate the lane. Additionally if you allow him to shoot and he shoots over 33% (ala Smith this year), then the shot is as effective as a 50% 2 pointer. So you have to guard him some. This opens up that hi low play Al/Josh run and opens the lane for guards to sneak in for rebounds, cuts, etc.

Something fans here don't see about the Tolliver/Smith 3's (and I quite frankly can't tell but about 20-30 % of the time myself) is the shot has gone up because a play broke down. This is a common happening at under 8 seconds to go in the clock in the NBA, not just on the Hawks. I'll explain.

A reset on a play requires the point to come back out top and receive the ball. Then the players to realign. Then the motion to begin, then either dribble penetration or at least 2 passes a screen, etc. That all takes about 4-5 seconds minimum if everyone is on the same page. The 24 second violation is a real problem for some teams in the NBA as its no different than any other turnover. So coaching philosophy dictates that some shot is better than no shot. So if the play breaks down with under 8 seconds, the players are usually free to free lance. This is usually when you see a player like Lebron, Jamal, Rose, Kobe just drive at the basket trying to get a foul or on other teams you see the point/SG call for a high screen and he comes around it and just shoots. It looks good when Kobe/Lebron or Deron does it but not so good when Calderon does it (see tonight's game for an example). The tell tale sign (almost always) is someone on the other side of floor display discouraged body language. Almost always, that player was the 2nd/3rd option and they were waiting for the kick. This was a real, real problem for Marvin. If you ever went to the games and watched off ball (a favorite habit of mine), when Joe would get stuck in a double team and the only outlet was Smith on the opposite side of the floor than Marvin in the corner, you could see Marvin just tuck his head. He wouldn't even go to the basket/cut/try to rebound. 3 or 4 times into the game Marvin would leave before the shot went up to play defense with his head down as he jogged the other way. IE, Joe, the screen or the cutter (Kirk and Jamal very often here) didn't execute the play properly, it broke down and Marvin who was out on the wing doing his job waiting to be the bailout would have no shot at receiving the pass. You could see his attitude go sour often in this situation. Go back and watch a game or two from last year if you saved any and watch Marvin off ball. These are break down by design situations. 8 seconds is typically the rule.

• Like 3