• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

has josh smith lived up to his current contract and does he deserve a raise

effjee14

Was thinking about what josh smith's value really is. I'm a josh smith supporter, but he does drive me crazy with some of the things he does. Even with his insistence on shooting too many jump shots, I believe he has lived up to his current contract. Especially when you factor in team success. If the hawks had not been a consistent playoff team throughout the life of the contract, my views may be different. If he was making 16-17 million a year, my views would be different. But at 12-13 million a year, I believe he's lived up to his contract. The bigger issue is, does he deserve a raise. From a personal standpoint, I believe if I had lived up to the expectations of my current pay, when it was time for my performance evaluation (which is what this contract negotiation will be for josh), I would expect to receive a raise. With that being said, it would almost be foolish to think josh smith doesn't deserve a raise this summer. Seeing that the hawks haven't competed for a championship, I wouldn't go over board, but a 7 to 10 percent raise seems adequate. So offering josh a contract starting at 14.5 million only seems fair. Something like 4 years 64 million or 5 years 78 million would work with me. Opinions!

• Premium Member

I agree. Josh has given us some amazing games over the course of his current contract. He deserves a raise, just not the maximum amount that he suggested he was worth. My bigger concern though is building a mediocre team going forward. Unless we add some major talent to this team, we're still looking at the same results. So either we get Josh under control and upgrade the talent (which will require a decent amount of cap space) or we move the franchise in a new direction...and let him go.

I wouldn't go over board, but a 7 to 10 percent raise seems adequate. So offering josh a contract starting at 14.5 million only seems fair. Something like 4 years 64 million or 5 years 78 million would work with me. Opinions!

Josh is coming off a 5 year $58 mill contract http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609...............so a 10% raise over his last contract would be a 5 year $64 mill contact. I could live with that but by all means not NOT 5 years at $78 mill.

• Like 1

Josh is coming off a 5 year $58 mill contract http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609...............so a 10% raise over his last contract would be a 5 year $64 mill contact. I could live with that but by all means not NOT 5 years at $78 mill.

You're right technically (and mathematically). Guess I'm saying the first year of his new contract should be a 10% raise over the last year of his new contract. At 5 years 58 million, josh smith was a bargain. He would be a fool not to say he was worth max money.

• Premium Member

You're right technically (and mathematically). Guess I'm saying the first year of his new contract should be a 10% raise over the last year of his new contract. At 5 years 58 million, josh smith was a bargain. He would be a fool not to say he was worth max money.

Hmmm...

“I feel like I’m a max player,” Al Horford said Friday. And yes, that is the first time he has said that.

“I feel I bring a lot to the table. I have a lot of versatility. For what I do and what I give this ball club, I feel like I’m worth it.”

Al Horford again: “There shouldn’t be any hesitation. I’m Al Horford, I’m not anybody else. I ‘m not Michael Jordan, I’m not LeBron James, I’m not Brook Lopez. I’m Al Horford. You can’t look at [the money that was given to] another person. Let’s say Joe [Johnson]. You can’t say, ‘I’m skeptical of giving [Al Horford a maximum contract]’ because of [the financial bind that it put the organization in and Joe Johnson wasn't worth it].”

For some reason, I just can't picture Al Horford talking to the media like that about money.

Edited by Wretch

I agree. Josh has given us some amazing games over the course of his current contract. He deserves a raise, just not the maximum amount that he suggested he was worth. My bigger concern though is building a mediocre team going forward. Unless we add some major talent to this team, we're still looking at the same results. So either we get Josh under control and upgrade the talent (which will require a decent amount of cap space) or we move the franchise in a new direction...and let him go.

Exactly. Nailed it.BTW, the Horford quote is totally bogus, right? Just asking...