• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can we beat the Nets is a 7 game series?

Wurider05

I think we can beat the Nets in 6, but since we are the Hawks we will make it a 7 game series win.The teams I fear are Miami, NY and the bulls. Miami for obvious reasons, the Knicks just because they have Chandler who would dwarf our bigs and the Bulls because with or without Rose we stink against their D. Thibs really knows how to beat us.The team I desperately want thought is the Celts. They do scare me but I sooooo badly want to send pp and kg home. I know how old guys play, I play against them at the Y...I just want to see kg and pierce cry as they walk off the court in defeat. I would hope we could get the 3rd seed and hope they get to 6th. A 4/5 seed wouldn't be ideal as the Heat would be waiting for us.

I think we can beat the Nets in 6, but since we are the Hawks we will make it a 7 game series win.

The teams I fear are Miami, NY and the bulls. Miami for obvious reasons, the Knicks just because they have Chandler who would dwarf our bigs and the Bulls because with or without Rose we stink against their D. Thibs really knows how to beat us.

The team I desperately want thought is the Celts. They do scare me but I sooooo badly want to send pp and kg home. I know how old guys play, I play against them at the Y...

I just want to see kg and pierce cry as they walk off the court in defeat. I would hope we could get the 3rd seed and hope they get to 6th. A 4/5 seed wouldn't be ideal as the Heat would be waiting for us.

That would be serious payback for 2012 and 2008...and 1957 Posted Image

• Premium Member

Positive outlook...

The only team I really worry about is Miami. They just have too many weapons and they have a loaded bench (and by "bench" I mean the refs). Horford and Teague are capable scorers. As is Harris. Korver is the secret weapon in the Motion OffenseTM. Those guys are enough talent to spread the floor and cause problems. Josh is a capable scorer as well. As long as the jumpers are falling, we could make it interesting against the Heat. Especially if Josh gets his business under control and Horford doesn't disappear (specifically on the boards). It'd be a fun series to watch.

Realistic outlook...

We ask...."Can we beat the Nets in a 7 game series?"...and it tells you all you need to know. At the very least, I would like to be saying "Nobody poses a threat until we reach the 2nd round." As a true fan, you want to be asking, "Who would be our worst matchup in the ECFs?"

• Like 1

Something to think about when talking about this team.

The Hawks are 9 - 19 when they score less than 100 points. ( 1 - 12 in our last 13 games when scoring less than 100 )

They're 25 - 7 when they score 100 or more points. ( 13 - 3 in our last 16 games when scoring 100 or more )

So regardless of whom the team is, the Hawks have kind of proven that they can't win low scoring types of games. We have to run them into the ground and let our guards control the pace.

In the first matchup vs Brooklyn, the Hawks guards controlled the pace, led by Teague with 28 points. Devin and Lou had a combined 29 points. Horford played . . Smith didn't. Hawks won the rebounding battle by +4

In the 2nd matchup vs Brooklyn, Teague and Harris did their thing, but Lou was totally ineffective. Smith played . . Horford didn't. Hawks lost the rebounding battle by -13 ( due to Reggie Evans grabbing 20 rebounds ).

Brooklyn plays at the slowest pace in the league, and has the ISO and post players to win games playing that style. So of course, the Hawks would have to speed the game up . . significantly.

Yes, the Hawks can beat Brooklyn. But only if the guards have complete control of the game and push the pace. If we get dragged into a halfcourt, grind it out battle, we'll lose.

Simple.

we can compete with any team when our pgs are pushing the ball in transition and we are knocking down our threes but If a team stops our transition game and we arent knocking down our outside shots we are f***ed.

So yes we can beat the nets in a 7 game series but a better question to ask is Will we beat the nets in a 7 game series.

We are a very streaky team. It seems like we rarely ever play a complete game where we show we are the better team from start to finish.

Edited by yungsta

It would be a dog fight type of series. I definitely think it would go seven games. I honestly think it would be a toss up. If we won and advanced I wouldn't be surprised. Or if the Nets won and moved on. However a series against the Nets is the team I am have most confidence in beating.

• Moderators

I think we can beat the Nets in a series as well.

I'll add that it would be one of the matchups I would be most excited to see in the first round because they are in a sense the Bizarro version of the Hawks - "what if we kept Marvin and JJ"?

• Moderators

This weekend will tell us a lot. We laid an egg in Phx but we were right there and got screwed in LA. Nuggets have the best home record in all of basketball (gee i wonder why) and we were on a back to back.

The thing is we can't be in a close game with the Celtics. They will get bailed out everytime. We have to turn the screws on them before the fourth. Its something this team has never really learned to do but they've shown signs this year.

This weekend will tell us a lot. We laid an egg in Phx but we were right there and got screwed in LA. Nuggets have the best home record in all of basketball (gee i wonder why) and we were on a back to back.

The thing is we can't be in a close game with the Celtics. They will get bailed out everytime. We have to turn the screws on them before the fourth. Its something this team has never really learned to do but they've shown signs this year.

Bingo. I don't trust refs in a close game with any favored team, especially in their building.

Something to think about when talking about this team.

The Hawks are 9 - 19 when they score less than 100 points. ( 1 - 12 in our last 13 games when scoring less than 100 )

They're 25 - 7 when they score 100 or more points. ( 13 - 3 in our last 16 games when scoring 100 or more )

So regardless of whom the team is, the Hawks have kind of proven that they can't win low scoring types of games. We have to run them into the ground and let our guards control the pace.

In the first matchup vs Brooklyn, the Hawks guards controlled the pace, led by Teague with 28 points. Devin and Lou had a combined 29 points. Horford played . . Smith didn't. Hawks won the rebounding battle by +4

In the 2nd matchup vs Brooklyn, Teague and Harris did their thing, but Lou was totally ineffective. Smith played . . Horford didn't. Hawks lost the rebounding battle by -13 ( due to Reggie Evans grabbing 20 rebounds ).

Brooklyn plays at the slowest pace in the league, and has the ISO and post players to win games playing that style. So of course, the Hawks would have to speed the game up . . significantly.

Yes, the Hawks can beat Brooklyn. But only if the guards have complete control of the game and push the pace. If we get dragged into a halfcourt, grind it out battle, we'll lose.

Got dragged into a halfcourt battle tonight . . and we essentially got blown out. The 13 point margin isn't indicative of how much of a defeat the game actually was.

Hardly any fastbreak points for the Hawks tonight. And Teague and Harris were non-factors.

No way we can beat the Nets in a series playing half court. Got to run them out of the gym.