• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Resign for next season?

Gray Mule

Who?

We have only about 3 who are signed past the end of the season.

We know that at least part of them will no be resigned. We know

that new players wil probably be added next season.

With all the free agents, some of which we would really like to keep

and some we really don't want back, the question has to arise, who

do we really, really want to keep?

Also, think of how much it will cost to retain any and all these players.

Then, are they really worth the cost?

Please share your thoughts on this matter.

It depends on the major pieces that we can fill first. I would love to bring back Korver, Ivan, and even Devin for the right price. Zaza might be too expensive as a backup assuming we can land Pekovic or some other C. I even think guys like Tolliver and Mack have earned consideration as deeper bench options. The only one I honestly can say I absolutely don't want back is Josh.

• Like 1

Who?

We have only about 3 who are signed past the end of the season.

We know that at least part of them will no be resigned. We know

that new players wil probably be added next season.

With all the free agents, some of which we would really like to keep

and some we really don't want back, the question has to arise, who

do we really, really want to keep?

Also, think of how much it will cost to retain any and all these players.

Then, are they really worth the cost?

Please share your thoughts on this matter.

I have a funny feeling we will not recognize this team next season!

• Like 2

Al and maybe Korver. Not sure about anyone else.

While Teague has some good games, he has plenty of games where he looks like one of the worst players in the entire league. Missing the most easy layups and turning the ball over. And he defends almost nobody, but it doesn't seem that bad because we were used to Terry and Bibby all of those years.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

I think Al is the only certain guy on this team next year. DF will try to make the team into something that can compete for more than a 5th seed.

The big problem is getting past the Heat. To do that we have to build up a team that has interior scoring and good 3 point shooters. We have some of that, but not nearly enough power inside.

• Like 2

Personally, I hope we retain both rookies, Ivan, Korver, JT and Horford.

I believe Horford and JJ are already signed for next season. Somewhere

out there in this big wide world of basketball, there is some reasonably

priced rebounders, either in the draft, free agency or available in a trade.

We need more than one of these from somewhere.

I wouldn't mind Petro coming back as a #2 or #3 center, if the price is right.

Josh Smith will be the linchpin to how we will look next season. He wants

the max contract, which is way too much but there is someone out there

who will take him at that price. Remember, we thought that no one would

possibly want Joe and Marvin with their contracts. We know better now

because we now know how quickly these two dissapeared.

We may lose him for nothing. Someone will offer him a big contract and we

will refuse to match it. End of story. Josh is a big, super athletic jammin

player, can jump high, block shots and be a major headache to the opposition.

He's also likely to camp out behind the arch, hit an occasional three and miss

a ton of long shots. He may drive inside and score and hit 50% of his free

throws if he's having a good night.

If Josh leaves, I hope it is to a west coast team.

========

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looking through the free agents the only names that jump out at me (besides the two big ones) are David West, Tony Allen, and Paul Milsap. But they don't address our need for a scorer although West and Horford together would be tough.

With everyone on the team being free agents though making trades will be hard unless its Lou, Teague or JJ. Or picks. Ferry definitely has his work cut out for him fielding a team next season.

• Moderators

If we don't resign Teague, I want us to look at Eric Bledsoe from the Clippers. I think they are resigned to losing him if they resign Paul and he will be starting somewhere next season. He is more raw as a scorer but is a superior defender to Teague.

The Hawks will resign Teague, Ivan and Zaza, but everyone else will most likely be let go. I strongly believe the Hawks will do a sign and trade Josh to land a high draft pick and Big man. I wouldnt be surprise if Ferry looks to sign and trade Josh to Detroit for one of their Bigs (Drummond or Monroe) and a lottery pick or Phoenix for Gortat and their lottery pick.

I envision Ferry making strong moves to grab Olapido, Otto Porter or Burke in this draft. This will be one of the most intriguing off seasons for the Hawks as Ferry tries to build a team that can truly compete with the Heat next season.

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The Hawks will resign Teague, Ivan and Zaza, but everyone else will most likely be let go. I strongly believe the Hawks will do a sign and trade Josh to land a high draft pick and Big man. I wouldnt be surprise if Ferry looks to sign and trade Josh to Detroit for one of their Bigs (Drummond or Monroe) and a lottery pick or Phoenix for Gortat and their lottery pick. I envision Ferry making strong moves to grab Olapido, Otto Porter or Burke in this draft. This will be one of the most intriguing off seasons for the Hawks as Ferry tries to build a team that can truly compete with the Heat next season.

The rules prohibit trading Josh for a pick in this draft. Also, the new CBA makes it HIGHLY unlikely that Josh will be apart of any sign and trade. There's no incentive for him or another team with cap space to do so. The most likely outcome is Josh signing with another team outright like Dallas, Houston or Detroit (less likely) as they also have significant cap space this summer. The Hawks blew it by not dealing Smith two years ago when the writing was already on the wall.

I think Ferry wants to totally remake this team. He probably likes Korver, because he is a one-dimensional player like he was when he played in the NBA. But if Kyle Korver is one of the team's main offensive weapons, we're not going to be much better than what we are today. He's just too limited of a ball player to be counted on to impact a basketball game on a nightly basis. And when teams really lock in on him to prevent him from getting shots off, he can be totally taken out of a game.

People make a big deal about "age" around here, but a guy like Vince Carter is a much better all around player than Korver. He can even still create his own shot. Honestly, from that standpoint alone, I'd much rather spend 4 million to sign Vince for a year or two, than to spend 6 mill a year for the next 3 - 4 years to sign Korver.