• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2014 Hawks?

PaceRam

Although, I am NOT giving up on this season (once you get into the playoffs everyone starts at 0-0 and anything can happen!) but I will admit that I am very excited about the upcoming Hawks offseason! I have no clue how much the Hawks will have available but apparently they should have quite a bit of salary cap money to spend before next season. Hopefully, Danny Ferry will make some wise decisions and have enough clout to convince some quality free agents to sign with the Hawks. And, then I noticed this morning that the Hawks have two draft picks in the 1st round and two more picks in the 2nd round of this year's draft (is this true?). Between free agency and the draft the Hawks should have a great opportunity to add some good players and some much needed depth to their next season's roster!

I am curious how many Hawks fans think:

1) Josh Smith will be with the Hawks next season and

2) Larry Drew will be with the Hawks next season

I have followed the Hawks (from a distance since I live in Florida) for a long time but I am by no means am I an expert on the Hawks but I am guessing that this offseason will be one of the most important (and, hopefully exciting!) offseasons they have had in a very long time! I am also guessing that before Danny Ferry is done with all his offseason transactions the Hawks will look like an expansion team next season!

I would be surprised and dismayed if either are with the team next year. I'm not certain who will be on the team actually. Horford is probably the only guy I would make a bet on being on the team at the start of the 2014 season. Jenkins looks like a keeper, but if the right trade comes around, I don't doubt Ferry would move him.

I say they both are gone.

You cant have players who have bad attitudes and consistently makes low IQ plays (smoove) and you cant have coaches who allow it (drew) on the team if you are serious about changing the hawk's culture.

Edited by yungsta

• Moderators

Hopefully both LD and Josh are gone this offseason. Danny has seen enough of them to know what they are (not) capable of. I feel that Josh is the motor and glue of this team, but a different coach brings a different scheme and it may be one that can do away with Josh's horrid shot selection. Or it could be one that better incorporates his strengths and will hold him accountable. Who knows... all I know is a lot of things have to change in order for this team to be a contender. The only sure thing right now IS Horford, but only if we get him to the 4.An offseason I'd be happy with would be sign one of the Van Gundy's to be our HC. I love the fire that Stan coaches with and the expertise that Jeff has, so either would do. Get a true, post-playing center in FA (Jefferson, Bynum, Dwight, Peks, etc.) and a bonafide 6'8"-6'9" all-around scorer (Corey Brewer, Dorell Wright, or maybe even Rip Hamilton if he is still healthy). Extra perks that would be nice: Resign Korver and Devin to reasonable deals, pull a Dimitroff and trade our four draft picks for Detroit's 6th and selection Otto Porter, and sign O.J. Mayo to be our starting SG. Then run with:C - Al Jefferson/Andrew Bynum/FA centerPF - Al HorfordSF - Corey BrewerSG - O. J. MayoPG - Jeff TeaguePG - Devin HarrisG - Lou WilliamsG/F - Kyle KorverSF - Otto PorterSG - John JenkinsPF - Mike ScottPF - Ivan JohnsonC - Zaza Pachulia or other cheap FA centerI like this line-up because their is a lot of talent that could be pooled together to possible get a better player at the deadline. Also, this is a very manageable from a cap-space look. Neither Jefferson nor Bynum would get a max deal out of Danny, so if they came to Atlanta, it'd be for a reasonable deal. I'm thinking 4 yr/$56 mil for Jefferson and 3 yr/$36 for Bynum. I think O. J. and Brewer would come on a reasonable deals too because they'd be promised a starting role, something to the tune of 4 yr/$28 mil. Plus, Brewer might like the idea of playing with Horf again. This is a better team that would be in the ranks of Memphis, Indiana, and San Antonio.

• Moderators

My hunch is both are Audi 5000. My curiosity is whether El Dee lands somewhere else (in the NBA, as a head coach) next season. Guide the Hawks through a less-than-completely-disastrous postseason, and I think something will open up for him.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

All I know is they're gonna be a very good team. Greatness is dependent upon getting a Great player. That I don't know. This upcoming offseason's Free Agent class just doesn't excite me. They all are useless IMO compared to the Big Prize in the form of The King in 2014. I have no idea about the draft. I'm sure Danny knows who the best wing is in college, so that's who I want. I don't care how we get him.

We have 41 million in cap space and 2 first round picks. Lotta things are gonna happen this summer with only Horford and Jenkins under contract.

Everybody forgets Lou Will...

To answer your question, I highly doubt either is still with us. We definitely won't keep both. I'd say it's more likely we keep Josh, but I feel he's a goner (hopefully in a SnT). Drew is almost certainly gone, and I'd put money on us picking up Blatt from overseas, with Brian Shaw as the second choice. If we get Blatt, maybe we'll bring Mike Brown in to coach the defense.

Horford isn't going anywhere. By far, not even close, he's the cornerstone of this rebuild, if you even wanna call it that, given we just clinched a spot and are a #5. Jeff Teague isn't going anywhere either. Too many really good PG's out there, no team is going to offer him more money to a point we can't re-sign him. Which is fine, because he's young and has had a great year. My guess is, we get him at a really good price for 4 years, and 2 years from now we're gonna be thinking what a bargain! (Kinda like Horf)

For all you LD haters....sorry. He's going to get another contract. Maybe 2-3 years, but still...and honestly, he deserves it. Look at the hand he was dealt prior to the beginning of the season. New GM, comes in and brings in a bunch of expiring contracts and makes those trades. It's a recipe for disaster and re-build. Look where we are....Ferry has to recognize that...and LD will get another couple of seasons.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily agree if he should be our coach....I just think he's going to get another contract. And if I'm DF, in his shoes, after what he did to the roster, he's going to deserve it.

I don't necessarily agree if he should be our coach....I just think he's going to get another contract. And if I'm DF, in his shoes, after what he did to the roster, he's going to deserve it.

Drew is a solid coach IMO. However, I'd be surprised if he's our head coach next year simply because I think a coaching change is an easy way for Ferry to make a big splash. Bringing in Shaw, Van Gundy, or even Blatt (who's my favorite now, if you couldn't tell) gets immediate attention and respect in the media, and in addition I think they'd all be upgrades as well.

Danny ferry is a spur and a dukie

that should tell you the kind of coach he is looking for and LD doesnt fit that mold.

LD has done a solid job but to start a culture change it is very important to hire someone OUTSIDE of the organization. If you keep promoting guys and keeping guys who have been with the organization for years and has been part of the dysfunction nothing changes.

Im sure in the summer there will be a COMPLETE rebuild of the coaching staff.

Edited by yungsta

• Moderators

Danny ferry is a spur and a dukie

that should tell you the kind of coach he is looking for and LD doesnt fit that mold.

LD has done a solid job but to start a culture change it is very important to hire someone OUTSIDE of the organization. If you keep promoting guys and keeping guys who have been with the organization for years and has been part of the dysfunction nothing changes.

Im sure in the summer there will be a COMPLETE rebuild of the coaching staff.

I agree that the coaching decision will be more about Ferry building his culture with the team. If Drew is that guy, he will come back after this season barring a disaster down the stretch. If he isn't, it would probably take a competitive series in the ECF to give Drew a chance to return.

I want to say both Smoove and Drew are gone but If they keep one it'll be Drew. Personally I hope both are gone and Ferry convinces Van Gundy to come here because Atlanta hasn't had a coach who can teach the game commanded respect since Lenny Wilkens. Lon Kuger, Terry Stotts (I believe Stotts took over after Kuger, correct me if I'm wrong) Mike Woodson and Larry Drew are all guys who remind me of most high school coaches who throw the ball out in practice and run the same 2 sets over and over. Time to get a RESPECTED name in here.