• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Coaching Question (personnel decisions?)

PaceRam

I will admit that I NEVER get to see any Hawks games but I have followed them for YEARS but I get all my information from this board (Thanks!) and the AJC! But, all season I have wondered why the Hawks have not given more playing time to John Jenkins, Mike Scott and Johan Petro. And, while I do realize last night's San Antonio was just one game it was a game against one of the best teams in the NBA and all three of those players had what I considered very good games (Jenkins - 23 points, Scott - 22 points & 6 rebounds, Petro - 11 points & 15 rebounds). Am I wrong and the Hawks have had good reasons not to play these players more throughout the season or could it be bad coaching decisions?

It will be very interesting to see what players AND coaches are back for next season!

Many here have questioned the same thing, especially on Mike Scott.

Perhaps, because some players, especially Josh, have experience and

make big $$$$, they are expected to get major minutes and those with

the small $$ paycheck gets what is left over.

I know. This is flawed thinking. If players can get the job done, they should

get their fair share of playing time.

I believe those players on the floor against the Spurs proved to everyone

who really paid attention, that they are worthy of playing time. They earned

it and I hope they get it.

GO HAWKS!!

I will admit that I NEVER get to see any Hawks games but I have followed them for YEARS but I get all my information from this board (Thanks!) and the AJC! But, all season I have wondered why the Hawks have not given more playing time to John Jenkins, Mike Scott and Johan Petro. And, while I do realize last night's San Antonio was just one game it was a game against one of the best teams in the NBA and all three of those players had what I considered very good games (Jenkins - 23 points, Scott - 22 points & 6 rebounds, Petro - 11 points & 15 rebounds). Am I wrong and the Hawks have had good reasons not to play these players more throughout the season or could it be bad coaching decisions?

It will be very interesting to see what players AND coaches are back for next season!

The knock on Petro his entire NBA career is that he is soft. That when motivated he can play very well. He has been a starter at times in his career. But when a starter, he loses all aggressiveness and just collects a check. This year he's playing for his NBA life to stay in the league, playing with a chip on his shoulder. Given ample playing time he'd revert back to comfortable Johan. This stereotype came about in his 3rd year while playing for Seattle (now OKC). Rembering that Petro is listed at 7'0" 250. In his first 2 seasons he average 18:30 minutes a game shooting 51%, 6 points and 5 boards and 7/10th of a block a game. In his third season they envisioned an expanded role. But he came in out of shape. His FG% dropped to under 42% average over the next 3 years (41.9, 40.7, 42.9). His rebounds/min, blocks, steals all dropped and by the end of the season found himself losing playing time.

In a career 7220 minutes of playing time he has 233 blocks. By comparison, Horford has 434 in 13366 minutes but playing half as many years. Smith in 23000 minutes for his career has 1438. That 6'9" Smith has almost 7 times as many blocks in his career as Petro and 3 times the minutes in almost the same number of years played doesn't speak highly of Petro's work ethic. Despite all the complaints about Smith's shot selection, He's shot 46.4% form the floor for his career while taking 935 career 3's. Petro has only taken 13 in his career but shoots 46.2% and drawing less than 1 foul shot attempt per game for his career. That's why Johan hasn't gotten playing time. He only plays when motivated and right now he's playing for his NBA life.

• Like 1