• Raised $440 of $700 target

I would like to have a word with the Deshawn Stevenson apologist

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

DeShawn Stevenson Has Been Awful for Atlanta Hawks

2 days ago by Cody Williams
Posted Image

Tom Szczerbowski – USA Today Sports Images

The Atlanta Hawks are indubitably led by Al Horford, Josh Smith and Jeff Teague this season, but are also one of the deepest teams in the NBA in terms of their quality role players. Guys like Kyle Korver, John Jenkins and Ivan Johnson have all come up big at various times throughout the season. However, one role player that has been terrible is DeShawn Stevenson.

Stevenson, in his 13th season in the NBA, has never been a player that is going to contribute substantially on the offensive end of the floor. That’s why he has averaged just 7.2 points and 1.6 assists per game on 40.7 percent shooting and 34.2 percent 3-point shooting for his career. Most of his success has come on defense throughout his career.

However, Stevenson hasn’t been effective on either offense or defense this season for the Hawks, despite averaging 20.8 minutes per game of playing time. For the year, he has averaged just 5.3 points and one assist per game on just 39 percent shooting from the field and 37.7 percent from three. Moreover, he’s had just a 103.9 defensive rating for the season.

Things have just gotten worse for Stevenson as the season has gone on. Over his last seven games, he has had about the same defensive rating, and has been much worse offensively. He has averaged just 3.1 points and 0.9 assists per game in 21.2 minutes per game, while shooting just 27.3 percent from the field and only 19 percent from long range. That’s just atrocious.

As the Hawks head into the postseason and try and get some of their players healthy, they should seriously consider burying Stevenson on the bench. He hasn’t been effective on either end of the floor for them all season. In fact, he’s been pretty bad on both ends of the floor. There’s no reason he should still be playing 20 minutes per game.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/04/08/deshawn-stevenson-has-been-awful-for-atlanta-hawks/?r7LDmOmO4qPWy7SG.99

• Moderators

...and the author of this article obviously wrote this while looking at a box score. Deshawn has given the Hawks exactly what the Hawks wanted out of him... We knew from the get go that he had knee problems that would keep him out of back to backs. He has given us the effort on defense that we brought him in for and consistent 3 pt shooting too. He has hit a lot of big shots for us this year. He is also the only guy besides Korver that gives effort from the guard spot on defense. I have liked Deshawn for what he is and I wouldn't mind the Hawks picking him up for next season.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Seems like a waste of an article. Pointing out an extreme role player's bad SEVEN game stretch. No mention of the fact that 37% from 3 is 3rd on the team behind Korver and Jenkins.

How does his defense rank in comparison to Korver, Jenkins, Lou, Devin? You know the other guys who play his position.

Defense and 3s from the 2 guard is the reason he gets playing time. So far I don't see anyone competing that well against him for those minutes.

Where are the Cody Williams apologists for writing such a poorly researched article.

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 2

do deshawn apologists actually exist????

Pee bird is trying to "call me out" for saying very early in the season that Deshawn had a role on this team and at the time deserved to start in place of Zaza and the "big" lineup that pee bird is in favor of. At the time Deshawn was playing excellent defense and shooting nearly 45% from 3 and clearly deserved the minutes he got. Injuries and the long season have worn him down and he's been less useful lately but he's still fulfilling his role as a good perimeter defender who can still knock down the 3. Plus he's a playoff veteran and if we have any shot in the playoffs we will need his savvy. But that rationale escapes pee bird and that's what he's attempting to do here by "calling me out". Just another sad attempt today by a board member to try and do so while looking silly in the process.
  • Like 1

I don't care about the stats with DS. We normally play him the most vs the best offensive wings in the league.........then rest him on the 2nd of back to back nights when the matchup allows Harris to play more effectively. So that explains some his poor defensive rating.I would not pick up the option year in his deal for a guy who can only give you 50 games due to his knees but his defense and 38% 3 pt shooting have come in handy when his knees allow him to play. He has fallen off as of late. Since dislocating his finger his shooting seems to have fallen off and his knees seem to be hampering his perimeter defense more as of late.I have no stats to back up my evaluation......just the eye test. I'm sure one of our statistic lovers will try to prove my eye test wrong......if they don't post it won't be for lack of trying....it would just show the eye test happens to be right in this case.

Edited by coachx

I don't care about the stats with DS. We normally play him the most vs the best offensive wings in the league.........then rest him on the 2nd of back to back nights when the matchup allows Harris to play more effectively. So that explains some his poor defensive rating.I would not pick up the option year in his deal for a guy who can only give you 50 games due to his knees but his defense and 38% 3 pt shooting have come in handy when his knees allow him to play. He has fallen off as of late. Since dislocating his finger his shooting seems to have fallen off and his knees seem to be hampering his perimeter defense more as of late.I have no stats to back up my evaluation......just the eye test. I'm sure one of our statistic lovers will try to prove my eye test wrong......if they don't post it won't be for lack of trying....it would just show the eye test happens to be right in this case.

I have no stats to back up or disprove your eye test since in all honesty I've only watched a handful of the Hawks past 10-15 games. Between NFL free agency & draft and the NCAA Tournament I just found more interesting stuff to watch.

I'm sure that what you're seeing is probably right and I agree I wouldn't pick up his option for next year either.

honestly like others have said deshawn has done pretty well this year and happens to be going through a funk at the time. but at the end of the day deshawn is a role player im more interested to see if our top 3 players horford, teague, smith can play above average once the playoffs get here rather than worry about deshawn.

deshawn role isnt to push us over the top. thats what are so called superstar smith is suppose to do.

Edited by JTB

Despite what Kobe is doing right now, age does catch up with all of us.

Sports figures are no exception. And, age catches up with them much

sooner than it does to the average Joe whose greatest physical feat

may consist of mowing the lawn and one round of golf on the weekend.

Twilight comes early in the career of most all sports figures. Injuries and

body parts that don't always work as they did when a person is in their

early twenties slows any one down. Here, we see knees that have aged

quickly. He's done well with what he has to deal with.

I'm glad he's here. However, give those knees another year. In all

likleyhood he's not going to be as good as he is this year. Age does that

to all of us.

Had a lady that I worked with, who was married, say "I once thought that

making love only once per week was so bad that I didn't see why anyone

would bother to get married for that. Now, I think that once every week

is wonderful!"

The time comes to all great athletes and lesser athletes when they must

give way to Father Time and make room for the rookies.

• Like 1

Like I said back in the summer, John Jenkins should've been the starter from Day 1. Should've just thrown him right into the fire, and see how he responded.

Deshawn tries on defense, and he's a decent defender. But what he gives on defense is offset by his erratic offense. Then add the fact that he can't even play everyday, just makes the situation worse regarding him and his playing time.

Prediction: Jenkins will have more of an impact during the playoffs, than Deshawn will.

I just hope that LD plays JJ in the playoffs like he has in the regular season - you know how coaches like to say "we have to shorten rotation" or they just prefer playing veterans.

Like I said back in the summer, John Jenkins should've been the starter from Day 1. Should've just thrown him right into the fire, and see how he responded.

Deshawn tries on defense, and he's a decent defender. But what he gives on defense is offset by his erratic offense. Then add the fact that he can't even play everyday, just makes the situation worse regarding him and his playing time.

Prediction: Jenkins will have more of an impact during the playoffs, than Deshawn will.