• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want (Nets or Pacers)?

CODHAWKSFAN

Right now we are the 6th seed, but are a half game (or one % point) from the 5th seed, so it is very possible for us to either play the Nets or the Pacers. I personally would love for us to play the Nets, I think that it will be a fun series and Philips will probably be jumping, but I would not want to get swept by Miami. If we play the Pacers, I see the series being very boring and we would probably lose in 6, but if we make it past the first round we would get NY, who I hate the most. I would rather watch Lebron and the Heat, than to see all of NY at the Hawks game.Thoughts?

I put our chances of winning against the Nets 50/50, the Pacers 45%. I give the Pacers a slight edge because they rebound very well and we don't, but the way Reggie Evans has been eating glass lately he could hurt us as well. I think the Pacers would play a more consistent brand of ball in a series than the Nets, and Kyle is more likely to get open catches and looks versus the Nets. So I'm hoping Joe comes back to Phillips for one last poor performance in a close Game 6 to finish them.

I put our chances of winning against the Nets 50/50, the Pacers 45%. I give the Pacers a slight edge because they rebound very well and we don't, but the way Reggie Evans has been eating glass lately he could hurt us as well. I think the Pacers would play a more consistent brand of ball in a series than the Nets, and Kyle is more likely to get open catches and looks versus the Nets. So I'm hoping Joe comes back to Phillips for one last poor performance in a close Game 6 to finish them.

I go with the Nets as well just because of the Joe factor. I take these playoffs as a learning tool for our younger players as we aren't getting out the second round even if we win in the first.

• Like 1

I'm probably in the minority but I would prefer the Pacers in a #3 seed / #6 seed matchup.

- Better draft pick if we lose.

- Better 2nd round matchup if we win.

- Williams and JJ scare me more as a duo then does George.....We will haveto rely on Stephenson / - Jones to defend JJ / George.

- Lopez scares me more then Hibbert.

- Smith can matchup well with West.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

• Moderators

This is where I get to do my annual ANYBODY BUT INDIANA (or Milwaukee) shpiel.

As I always say, individually, it's not about the matchups on the court, or coaching "strategery," or playing styles.

Among the ten most sparse home-playing crowds, the Hawks, Pacers, and Bucks are the only ones playoff-bound. Teams with a metro-area NBA fanbase that only fill the arena when they're playing someone not like each other.

I have much trouble stomaching the frustration of two halfway-decent playoff squads locked in a six-or-seven-game death match before half-full arenas, relegated to truTV or PAX or Boomerang or Logo or AztecaTV or Spike or MTV4 out of mere obligation to national audiences because they wind up getting crowded out by everybody else's series.

A full two weeks of pundits soiling themselves over "HEAT versus whoever," "New York-area team versus whoever," "Celtics and Bulls trolling, hooray!" then sighing aloud before asking, "Do we HAVE to talk about the Pacers and Hawks again?" It'll be Baragon vs. Gigan while the rest of the free world flips the channel in search of Godzilla. No thank you!

If the Hawks are going to risk bowing out of the first round, at least let it be in front of a capacity crowd and a national audience. If the Hawks are going to play great and pull off an upset, again, let it be in front of a packed house and a national audience. No trees falling in the forest!

Besides all that, we potentially get a chance to make Joe Johnson earn his money? And Deron Williams versus Teague? LD versus PJ? Smoove versus a newly hobbled Crash? Horford versus Lopez? Reggie versus Ivan? Sign me up, please!

~lw3

• Like 1

This is where I get to do my annual ANYBODY BUT INDIANA (or Milwaukee) shpiel. As I always say, individually, it's not about the matchups on the court, or coaching "strategery," or playing styles. Among the ten most sparse home-playing crowds, the Hawks, Pacers, and Bucks are the only ones playoff-bound. Teams with a metro-area NBA fanbase that only fill the arena when they're playing someone not like each other. I have much trouble stomaching the frustration of two halfway-decent playoff squads locked in a six-or-seven-game death match before half-full arenas, relegated to truTV or PAX or Boomerang or Logo or AztecaTV or Spike or MTV4 out of mere obligation to national audiences because they wind up getting crowded out by everybody else's series. A full two weeks of pundits soiling themselves over "HEAT versus whoever," "New York-area team versus whoever," "Celtics and Bulls trolling, hooray!" then sighing aloud before asking, "Do we HAVE to talk about the Pacers and Hawks again?" It'll be Baragon vs. Gigan while the rest of the free world flips the channel in search of Godzilla. No thank you! If the Hawks are going to risk bowing out of the first round, at least let it be in front of a capacity crowd and a national audience. If the Hawks are going to play great and pull off an upset, again, let it be in front of a packed house and a national audience. No trees falling in the forest! Besides all that, we potentially get a chance to make Joe Johnson earn his money? And Deron Williams versus Teague? LD versus PJ? Smoove versus a newly hobbled Crash? Horford versus Lopez? Reggie versus Ivan? Sign me up, please! ~lw3

^^^^^^^^ This

Sounds like your into appearance over substance............that is kind of Atlanta's rep........your right on that.

Now that the Hoosiers are done, Conseco Fieldhouse will be sold out. Like you, I would not bet on "The Highlight Factory" sellling out to Atlantans who are more conerned about appearances over substance.

The only fans around here with any real sense of loyalty are UGA fans.

This is where I get to do my annual ANYBODY BUT INDIANA (or Milwaukee) shpiel.

As I always say, individually, it's not about the matchups on the court, or coaching "strategery," or playing styles.

Among the ten most sparse home-playing crowds, the Hawks, Pacers, and Bucks are the only ones playoff-bound. Teams with a metro-area NBA fanbase that only fill the arena when they're playing someone not like each other.

I have much trouble stomaching the frustration of two halfway-decent playoff squads locked in a six-or-seven-game death match before half-full arenas, relegated to truTV or PAX or Boomerang or Logo or AztecaTV or Spike or MTV4 out of mere obligation to national audiences because they wind up getting crowded out by everybody else's series.

A full two weeks of pundits soiling themselves over "HEAT versus whoever," "New York-area team versus whoever," "Celtics and Bulls trolling, hooray!" then sighing aloud before asking, "Do we HAVE to talk about the Pacers and Hawks again?" It'll be Baragon vs. Gigan while the rest of the free world flips the channel in search of Godzilla. No thank you!

If the Hawks are going to risk bowing out of the first round, at least let it be in front of a capacity crowd and a national audience. If the Hawks are going to play great and pull off an upset, again, let it be in front of a packed house and a national audience. No trees falling in the forest!

Besides all that, we potentially get a chance to make Joe Johnson earn his money? And Deron Williams versus Teague? LD versus PJ? Smoove versus a newly hobbled Crash? Horford versus Lopez? Reggie versus Ivan? Sign me up, please!

~lw3

Edited by coachx

Sounds like your into appearance over substance............that is kind of Atlanta's rep........your right on that. Now that the Hoosiers are done, Conseco Fieldhouse will be sold out. Like you, I would not bet on "The Highlight Factory" sellling out to Atlantans who are more conerned about appearances over substance. The only fans around here with any real sense of loyalty are UGA fans.

I will have to disagree with you here, I believe that we have a better shot at beating the streaky Nets than the abusive, consistent, well coached Pacers. I like the home team but the end result will probably be the same vs Miami or NY. So what you do is, you weigh your options:Nets: Have superstars but are streaky, we have split the season with them, there will be a packed house, the NBA will have a story to build around, AND we have a higher possibility of winning.Pacers: Without Granger, but still a solid team, consistent, well coached, will kill us on the boards, we have split the season with them, the PLAYOFF games will be half full (for us), and it is very possible that we could lose the series.I don't know about you but I would rather have an exciting series vs our former "superstar" and their overpaid roster, with a full house, than to play the Pacers on Nba tv, in a series against the Pacers with no excitement built around it, and a series that we will likely be out coached in.But that's just me, and of course we have a shot at betting anybody but I would rather take me chances against the Nets.Plus I do not want to get into a fight with any drunken Knicks fans this year. ;o) Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

• Moderators

Intellectually I want the 6th seed for the higher draft pick and better second round matchup if we catch fire. Personally, I will be able to get decent coverage of Pacers games on TV and in the paper as well.

As a fan, I would be much more interested in watching the Hawks play the Nets.

I will have to disagree with you here, I believe that we have a better shot at beating the streaky Nets than the abusive, consistent, well coached Pacers. I like the home team but the end result will probably be the same vs Miami or NY. So what you do is, you weigh your options:Nets: Have superstars but are streaky, we have split the season with them, there will be a packed house, the NBA will have a story to build around, AND we have a higher possibility of winning.Pacers: Without Granger, but still a solid team, consistent, well coached, will kill us on the boards, we have split the season with them, the PLAYOFF games will be half full (for us), and it is very possible that we could lose the series.I don't know about you but I would rather have an exciting series vs our former "superstar" and their overpaid roster, with a full house, than to play the Pacers on Nba tv, in a series against the Pacers with no excitement built around it, and a series that we will likely be out coached in.But that's just me, and of course we have a shot at betting anybody but I would rather take me chances against the Nets

Yea, give me the excitement of two teams closer in the standings, the drama of going against our former franchise star, the national TV attention and the personal benefit of me being able to attend a Hawks playoff game over moving up a draft slot in a weak draft. Sports entertainment isn't just about the product on the floor but the story lines. Brooklyn in it's inaugural season going up against the team that gave them one the pillars of their resurgence? How is this any different than most of us clamoring for a revenge matchup against the Celtics last season?

The Hawks can beat either opponent and at the minimum put up a competitive series but still lose so why not go for the primetime matchup? Worrying about the "better" 2nd round matchup also seems a lil wonky considering that this team in its playoff prime wasn't even favored to win a single 2nd round game to speak nothing of now. I don't care about the draft, we've cried (tremendously) before about being 1 spot away from guys but even Sund walked into Teague and I have faith that Ferry could identify another Jenkins while guys are crying over a Melo or Sullinger.

• Premium Member

I would prefer a series against the Nets, but I'll gladly take the 6th seed if it potentially gives the Hawks a shot at avoiding Miami. As far as the draft, you obviously want the better picks, but having promising rookies like Jenkins and Scott may motivate Ferry to move those picks for an already established NBA player. I guess that decision will depend on what he thinks he can realistically do in free agency.

• Moderators

I want the Nets. We can't beat the Knicks and I want nothing to do with a bunch of NY tools in Philips arena and us getting embarrassed by Woody and company in their home away from home. I can tolerate that happening against Miami for some reason. Plus if we just play smart i think we can be competitive against Miami but we can't seem to do anything about Melo.

I think we can get in the Nets head. Damn will be missing Zaza though.

We matchup well with both Nets and Pacers. But since 6th seed avoids the Heat and gets us a higher draft pick I'll take my chances with Indy. Wow though a series vs Joe would be really fun.

LOL. Of course people would rather play the Nets, even though that means the Heat in Round 2.People better be careful for what they wish for. The Nets are built for the playoffs. That is NOT a team we want to playing in Round 1, especially with them having home court advantage. Deron is playing like a Top 3 PG and a top 15 player these days. We're Shorthanded in the post vs LopezAnd in ISO situations, we have no one to guard JJ. And with Reggie Evans rebounding like he's Bill Russell, they are a very dangerous team.So give me the "boring" Pacers, with a chance to play the Knicks or Celtics in Round 2.But like I've been saying all year, there is a specific interest in JJ and the Brooklyn Nets. And beating them would validate beyond a shadow of a doubt that we did the right thing. Just be careful what you wish for.

• Premium Member

I'm going to go with the Pacers. We wind up with a better draft pick and I think they will be an easier matchup for us.

I'd love to see Boston upset the Knicks and get another shot at them in the playoffs too. We all know that the Heat are probably going to sweep the Bucks so they are going to be rested if we face them. The Knicks should handle Boston, but you can look at that series and see Woodson having another one of his horrible playoff series and Boston pulling the upset.

I think the Bulls lose tonight @ NYK and go to 42-36, which will have us back at #5. After tonight, they face @Tor, @Miami, @Orlando and home against Washington. All of those games are winnable and Miami might be sitting some players.

We have the Bucks and Raptors at home and finish the season @NYK (who may be resting players too). If we go 2-1 and finish at 45-37, the Bulls will need to go 3-1 (assuming they lose tonight) to be the #5 seed.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds!