• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who do you want (Nets or Pacers)?

CODHAWKSFAN

• Premium Member

So I was right originally? Everyone throwing me off. I thought the winner of the Heat vs Bucks game will play the winner of the 4-5 seed games. So Heat vs Brooklyn or Chicago in the 2nd round. If we stay 6th seed, we play Indiana and then play the Knicks or Boston if we go on to win? Right?

If we lose tonight, that is correct.

Kind of surprised so many Hawks fans want the Pacers. Looks like that will be the case unless the Hawks win and Bulls lose tonight. Admittedly, I would have rather played the Bulls since Rose probably won't play and Noah/Gibson have been injured. I fear Horford and Smith's athleticism and their ability to outjump Hibbert for rebounds. I also think Horford's ability to shoot jumpers will hurt Roy Hibbert. On the flip side, West will manhandle Josh Smith if that's who is guarding him. Josh Smith might be able to creat space and even go around him but can he hit the jumper? Will Roy Hibbert stop him if he drives? I'm more worried about Smith rebounding and blocking shots than anything. I feel the Pacers defense can do a solid job containing him offensively. It's Horford that I fear Hibbert being able to get out there a few feet and contest his jumpers.

What you can expect from the Pacers. Sometimes they try running the offense through Hibbert and when defenders cave to help out their man, Hibbert passes it back out to the open man for 3. The Pacers are also very good with ball movement until the find the open game. When they can't find in open guy you'll see them dump it off to David West. What West will do is lower his shoulder a bit and nudge his defender off for an open look and you expect him to make it. He can also bang down low. Honestly, some of them are offensive fouls but the refs usually let him get away with. The shooters are Paul George and George Hill. They can hit anywhere on the floor. The slashers are Paul George and Lance Stephenson. Stephenson is really good at finishing and making circus shots. Occassionally he'll beat everyone down the floor while running through the back for an easy lay up in transition. Hibbert mostly works with a hook shot and when it's going, it's hard to stop. It's best to nudge him a bit to alter it. And as I said for West, he'll great space by being a bull and he's one of the top mid range shooters in the league. He can play inside and out.

Now defense... the Pacers are nasty. They're physically and most of the season have ranked #1 in every relevant category. Number one in points allowed, field goal percentage, three point percentag and rebounds. Hibbert is an anchor downlow and eats up the paint. West is built like a tank and is not easy to get by either. The wings are athletic, big and long. Paul George and Lance Stephenson are quick to close the gap on jump shoots length really causes problems. George Hill is generally the weak link on defense, Tegaue may have a field day on him. Thought Hill isn't that greatest defender he does have size for a point guard. I'll list the Pacers roster...

PG 6'2 190lbs 26yrs George Hill

SG 6'5 228lbs 22yrs Lance Stephenson

SF 6'9 221lbs 22yrs Paul George

PF 6'9 250lbs 32yrs David West

C 7'2 280lbs 26yrs Roy Hibbert

PG 6'0 183lbs 25yrs DJ Augustin

G/F 6'5 220lbs 24yrs Orlando JohnsonPF 6'9 250lbs 27yrs Tyler Hansbrough

C 6'11 230lbs 26yrs Ian MahinimiI think that will pretty much be the playoff roster. As you can see, they're young and have some decent size. The other players you will see interchanged depending on match ups but won't play as much as the players list above...G/F 6'8 210lbs Gerald Green

SF 6'6 225lbs 27yrs Sam YoungPF 6'9 250lbs Jeff Pendergraph

So I guess that's a little bit about the Pacers. Sorry if I've intruded, I just wanted to see some of your thoughts on the potential match up. I have a feeling that's what it's going to be but anything could happen tonight I suppose. At least it should make for an exciting finish to the season. Also have the Lakers/Rockets battling for the 7th seed, Lakers/Jazz battling for the 8th seed and Clippers/Grizzlies battling for the 4th seed. Anyways, hopefully we have a clean series or if you end up playing the Nets, best of luck to you. I'll apologize in advance because some fans around the NBA think the Pacers are dirty because of their physical play. So hopefully you have no ill will towards the Pacers if there are some hard fouls and the game is a little rough. Blatant cheap shots is in another story but for the most part the Pacers just play a clean, physical game.

To the Pacers fan:

Speaking for myself..........those of us hoping the Pacers did so b/c we can get the 17th or 18th pick in the draft as a #6 seed vs. a #5 seed. If we make it to the 2nd round then we move down to pick 22.

In all honesty this is just a token playoff trip for us with no legitimate shot at the Finals. We have gone to the 2nd round many a time now with no real shot of advancing. This is our 6th or 7th trip in a row to the playoffs but this team probably has the least chance of making any noise compared to the ones before it.

Our best shot at getting to the next level is with draft picks and our cap space.

That being said..........I could see this series going 7 games if Paul George struggles. Atlanta may have to put Josh Smith on George and assign Ivan Johnson to West. We may try D. Jones and Korver on George but I think he will torch them.

To the Pacers fan:

Speaking for myself..........those of us hoping the Pacers did so b/c we can get the 17th or 18th pick in the draft as a #6 seed vs. a #5 seed. If we make it to the 2nd round then we move down to pick 22.

In all honesty this is just a token playoff trip for us with no legitimate shot at the Finals. We have gone to the 2nd round many a time now with no real shot of advancing. This is our 6th or 7th trip in a row to the playoffs but this team probably has the least chance of making any noise compared to the ones before it.

Our best shot at getting to the next level is with draft picks and our cap space.

That being said..........I could see this series going 7 games if Paul George struggles. Atlanta may have to put Josh Smith on George and assign Ivan Johnson to West. We may try D. Jones and Korver on George but I think he will torch them.

I could see George struggling. He's been struggling as of late and I think it's because he's drained. He goes all out on both ends of the floor and it has taken a toll. He's taken the next step but he's teetering on being a great player. He's only 22 so there is plenty of time. 17.4pts, 7.6rebs, 4.1asts, 1.8 stls... the kid just does it all. He's one of the best defenders in the NBA and the only thing he lacks is size. He's tall and has long arms but he's kind of lanky. Guys like Lebron and Josh Smith can run through him if they're attacking the basket or trying to create space. Lebron runs through everyone but yeah.

Yeah, so the Pacers definitely need Paul George to step up since he's been struggling but Hill has also been shooting poorly since his groin injury. Him not be able to hit shots makes the Pacers offense that much worse. Hill is pretty cold blooded when it comes to shooting and if he's not on, it hurts the Pacers a lot. They play team basketball so they need everyone contributing or others really need to step in and pick up the slack if someone is struggling. Kind of like you guys back with Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams. You had a nice team but were young and just always found yourself coming up short in the playoffs. I hope the Pacers can overcome that be more like the Pistons but I don't know with Heat and Knicks. And when Rose returns, smh. At least the Celtics days are about numbered... maybe. Pierce and KG are coming to the end of the road. But maybe that cap space will just allow them to build around Rondo, Avery and Green. The East isn't amazing but it's very competitive.I actually talk to a few Hawks fans on the Tennessee Vol forum, I'm a Vol fan. So at the very least this series should be fun talking with them about the series. I'll probably pop in and out of here. I know how heated things can get so it might be best to not be around much. Even with good intentions it can upset fans if their team is losing. Not saying the Hawks are going to lose but it's a possibility and it can bring out the bad in some. Not gonna lie, I've been there :). I'm really passionate about sports.

Coachx r u sure that we slip to pick 22 if we make the second round? I think picks r based and set on regular season records. It's always been that way hasn't it?

Coachx r u sure that we slip to pick 22 if we make the second round? I think picks r based and set on regular season records. It's always been that way hasn't it?

The pick doesnt slip if we make the 2nd round.... I dont know what in the world he was thinking.

To the Pacers fan:I personally do not have any problems with you being around, as long as it is respectful. On another note I do not blame your team for being aggressive, that is what they are supposed to do. However I feel like the refs know this is the way that you guys when games so they let you guys get away with it more, especially in your home building. That is what I meant in my first post about being beat up.I mean I have never seen a team be aloud to pound push slap and knock over players, like that (except the good Detroit teams)! If the Pacers play the way they have been playing the last couple of years, you are going to see a lot of complaints here.

Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

To the Pacers fan:I personally do not have any problems with you being around, as long as it is respectful. On another note I do not blame your team for being aggressive, that is what they are supposed to do. However I feel like the refs know this is the way that you guys when games so they let you guys get away with it more, especially in your home building. That is what I meant in my first post about being beat up.I mean I have never seen a team be aloud to pound push slap and knock over players, like that (except the good Detroit teams)! If the Pacers play the way they have been playing the last couple of years, you are going to see a lot of complaints here.

My bad. I wasn't singling out your post and I don't recall anyone talking about the physicality of the Pacers. As a fan I can admit that's how they play. Sometimes they don't and they just stand their ground but yeah, they'll fould hard if they feel it works to their advantage. It's a completely different team now but when they played the Bulls two years ago, they hammered him hard. If he was willing to drive to the basket they made him pay. I'm familiar with Smith and Horford's game but I'm not familiar with Teague's. I remember when he emerged as the started a year or two ago and thought he was amazing. I don't really know how he plays now though. I know Horford is a mismatch because he can pop short jumpers and Josh Smith while amazing all around, he likes to chuck games away and take jumpers while bricking. Maybe this year is different but that's kind of how I view those two. They're athletes for their size, no doubt. So in a way, it benefits the Pacers by being physical when it's a finesse team but I remember watching Horford and Smith especially go up and grab board after board in the past. Hibbert is big but he's not really athletic. He eats up space and if the ball comes to him, he'll get it. He usually boxes out and it's Paul George that comes leaping in for the board. I just don't like playing Josh Smith.... he's a rebounding machine against us from what I recall. Should be interesting series. I know the Pacers should win since they're the three seed but Atlanta worries me. Athletic bigs and Korver.... plus, we're terrible in Atlanta. You guys own us there. I think this will be the match up but weirder things have happened. If the Bulls lose and you guys win, that would be something.

Playoffs don't impact draft positionI want pacers because second round is not the heat, not bc I think pacers are easy to beat

True.

Second round will be the Knicks(or Celtics) and it's not much of a consolation prize. I don't like either team or city but I'll pull for the Celtics in this case. Knicks fans are really hyped up with their recent run. You'd think they're better than the 72-10 Bulls with the way they act. Worst of all, they think Celtics fans are awful while saying nasty and vile stuff. Personally, I think both fanbases are awful but I'd say Boston fans are slightly less nasty. New York... ack.

• Moderators

Post-mortem on the "Don't want the HEAT in the Second Round" thing (as if Miami's the one team we could foresee this team losing a series to), now that it won't matter.

IF this postseason concludes with a series loss to top-seeded Miami, I'd much rather have exited the stage to the Heatles in Round 2, where Miami simply shakes hands and moves on to the next round, than a Conference Finals where there's a good chance (Game 4 or 6) the HEAT get to celebrate on our beloved Highlight Factory floor before an adoring crowd of bandwagoners and media coverage feigning surprise to witness -- bad choice of words -- see it.

The 404-area wagon-hitchers might choose to peek at a HEAT series clincher from their respective watering holes/mother's basements/sanitaria. There's no way they're missing out on LeBron and the LeBronettes clinching a trip to The Finals here. I mean, they haven't had fun like this since they dressed up as Niner fans in January. Never mind all those years at Turner Field back when the Braves watched half the National League celebrate winning NLCSes.

On second thought, at least Miami would act like they've been here before. Could you imagine shocking Miami in the second round... and it's Spike Lee and the Knick wagoneers down here with New York and Atlanta playing at Philips and a trip to the NBA Finals on the line? Aye-aye-aye.

Oh well. Go Hawks!

~lw3

• Like 1