Hawks to have 17th and 18th picks in draft

Jody23

• Premium Member

It's the fact that free agency comes after the draft that I think Ferry won't consider moving the picks unless he can get much higher into the lottery or a highly rated prospect happens to fall. He's likely to pull a Morey, draft all of the BPA he can and not worry about fit until he's deep into free agency and exhausted the initial trade market. No matter his intentions for free agency things aren't likely to fall perfectly into place so he's better off having as many available assets as he can. One of the picks may be instrumental in getting a team to let go of a RFA either this summer or next...

That's a very possible scenario.
  • Like 1

I disagree as I don't see the Hawks spending big money on any of those guys you mention or anyone else who's not a difference maker. Say what you will, but Ferry worked hard to get us out of big salary commitments to players who's games weren't worth it. I don't see them going there again. If the miss in the next two off seasons, then I think the draft will become a central focus.

I agree the Hawks will not spend money on serviceable players that will get us no where...This draft is weaker than usual which leads me to believe that Ferry will first try a S&T for Josh land in the lottery. Oladipo should be our target.

I agree the Hawks will not spend money on serviceable players that will get us no where...This draft is weaker than usual which leads me to believe that Ferry will first try a S&T for Josh land in the lottery. Oladipo should be our target.

FA is after the draft. We can get our draft picks, and then try to SnT Josh with a lottery team for their lottery pick after the fact, but that's unlikely. Our draft day assets are Lou, Horf, Jenkins and picks.

• Like 1

FA is after the draft. We can get our draft picks, and then try to SnT Josh with a lottery team for their lottery pick after the fact, but that's unlikely. Our draft day assets are Lou, Horf, Jenkins and picks.

That can only happen if jbrick wants to go to that lottery team and cant sign with them out right. If he doesnt then he can just go and sign to any team he wants that has cap space.

• Like 2

I know the history. I also know that he made those moves after they had a true centerpiece in LeBron and with a lot of pressure from the owner. I'm guessing those situations don't happen here as Ferry will have control and the meddler (Gearon) has been neutralized. Could be wrong, but we'll see.

Jamison was having one of his top five best seasons when Ferry traded for him ( 20.5ppg, 8.8rpg and .450 from the field with the Wizards ). As I remember, a lot of NBA fans thought it was a rock solid move, since the Cavs had no offensive punch at all outside of Bron 29.8ppg and Mo 15.8ppg.

It did not work out as Jamison only avg 15.8 that season with the Cavs but some of that has to fall on coaching. Looking back at that roster, it does not look bad at all. They also had Varejao and JJ Hickson to go along with Bron, Mo, Jamison, Big Z and Shaq.

Edited by Buzzard

Ferry did a decent job in cleveland with what he was dealt with. Cleveland was less than a desirable place for free agents, they had a bunch of trash assets, and he did his best to add some talent through trades. since he couldnt get much through free agency.

He turned ben wallace on his last legs to shaq who was playing pretty well in phx before he was traded (17ppg 8 rebounds in 30 mins)

He turned demand mason, joe smith, damon jones to mo williams.

He turned an expiring Big Z to antawn jamison (who was a 20pg scorer and a near all star)

He did have some moves that werent so great (In Hindsight) which was signing larry hughes to a 5 year 70 million dollar contract to be lebron's pippen but they were in WIN NOW mode and at the time it was a great move cause larry hughes was a baller look at his description entering free agency.

Although he only played in 61 games last season, Hughes was a fantasy stat-stuffer, averaging 22.0 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and a league-leading 2.9 steals per game. Yeesh!

For his efforts, Hughes was named to the NBA's All-Defensive First Team. After the Wizards won their first playoff series since 1982, surely Washington general manager Ernie Grunfeld was hoping to do everything in his power to keep Hughes in D.C.

But on July 8, it was reported that Hughes had agreed to a five-year deal with Cleveland, teaming him with LeBron James.

2005 free agency class ------> http://www.nba.com/features/freeagentpreview_050705.html

Jamison was having one of his top five best seasons when Ferry traded for him ( 20.5ppg, 8.8rpg and .450 from the field with the Wizards ). As I remember, a lot of NBA fans thought it was a rock solid move, since the Cavs had no offensive punch at all outside of Bron 29.8ppg and Mo 15.8ppg. It did not work out as Jamison only avg 15.8 that season with the Cavs but some of that has to fall on coaching. Looking back at that roster, it does not look bad at all. They also had Varejao and JJ Hickson to go along with Bron, Mo, Jamison, Big Z and Shaq.

Lebron had the pieces to win a championship that year. He was just not ready and came up short in the Finals. Heck he came up short in the Finals with Wade and Bosh his 1st year in Miami. Then he finally matured and took advantage of his God given talent.On Jamison's ppg falling......that is what happens when you join a loaded team. They had to feed Shaq some post touches too. Boston's big 3 all took a step back in ppg when they 1st met and got a ring. Bosh took a hit in ppg when he teamed with James and Wade. Edited by coachx

Lebron had the pieces to win a championship that year. He was just not ready and came up short in the Finals. Heck he came up short in the Finals with Wade and Bosh his 1st year in Miami. Then he finally matured and took advantage of his God given talent.On Jamison's ppg falling......that is what happens when you join a loaded team. They had to feed Shaq some post touches too. Boston's big 3 all took a step back in ppg when they 1st met and got a ring. Bosh took a hit in ppg when he teamed with James and Wade.

They had two Achilles heels, Shaq and Big Z's health concerns as one and SG as the second. They could rotate the bigs since they also had Jamison, Hickson, and Verejao but shooting guard, like over half the NBA, was seriously weak. I agree, that roster was loaded looking over it now and a lot thought Jamisons scoring was the missing piece that would help put them over the top. Their D was already solid.

Edited by Buzzard

Please take into account Jeff (19th pick) and Josh (17th pick) are two of the best players the franchise has produced in nearly 10 years not just through draft but with overall acquisitions.

Marvin, Acie, Sheldon, Chills were overall busts for us even though their collective averaged draft selection was 6th.

Picks 17th to 19th from past years:

2008 - Hibbert, McGee, Hickson

2009 - Holiday, Lawson, Teague

2010 - Seraphin, Bledsoe, Bradley

2011 - Shumpert, Singleton, Tobias Harris

2012 - Zeller, Terrence Jones, Nicolson

I would turn down none of these guys, maybe Singleton

That 2011 draft class was considered one of the weakest in a decade and this one is being talked about in the same manner. From draft express here is their rankings starting at 14 and ending on 22. That is 4 spots above and 4 spots below our two picks. Several of these players should be there if they all declare. Given the weakness at SG and SF in this years draft, I don't see Goodwin dropping to us. Austin is a freshman and skinny as a rail but he is also a legit 7footer so he will probably be gone as well.

14: Isaiah Austin C Baylor

15: C.J. McCollum PG/SG Lehigh

16: Gorgui Dieng C Louisville

17: Archie Goodwin SG Kentucky

18: Steven Adams C Pittsburg

19: Jeff Withey C Kansas

20: Dennis Schröder PG International

21:Sergey Karasev SF International

22: Jamaal Franklin SG San Diego State

Link:

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/

Edited by Buzzard

Jeeze, so many project bigs in this draft. If the Hawks somehow get Zeller, that would be amazing.

Only way we get Zeller is in a trade. He is ranked as the #2 center prospect and 5th best prospect overall.