• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk's fan support

Hawkfan89

I just don't get it I've been Hawks fan since I was little and I know people are tired of the all the loosing seasons we had and the fact we haven't reach the ECF or a championship since they moved to Atlanta, but what the hell!! Where is the support for our team? I for one have tickets to Saturday's game and I'm pump I'm ready to win game 2, 3 and 4, but the mood in Atlanta is like no one cares why don't we support our Hawks?!? The Falcons lost for years now their fan based is as strong as ever. The Braves haven't won since 95 they have all the support in the world! My Hawks not so lucky. What's the problem? Because I would hate to see the team I loved since childhood up and leave the city of Atlanta. Posted Image

Edited by Hawkfan89
  • Like 1

I hate the transient excuse, but it lends itself to another excuse altogether... These people in Atlanta want a star player they can get behind. They want the 'Lakers' of the South.

That still misses the point. How about we look around at what other similar sized arenas/markets/teams are doing? Did Indiana sell-out? Nope. And Milwaukee? Well, they have a different team coming in that people love to adore. But can I buy tickets to the Rockets game coming up? Sure can. Grizzlies? You betcha. Are they more expensive? Sure, but it isn't like this is by a mile or anything. Teams all around the league struggle with this stuff, we might just be the only group with buffoons as owners who do not know how to price.

But this is NOT a fan issue. I was at all 2008 playoff games (and a good chunk of the '09, '11, and '12), so I know we have fans.

A little goodwill goes a long way, and people still underestimate how many Thrashers fans stopped going to Hawks games all together. Trust me, there are alot of them. Besides the fact that there are so many "fast food" fans in this town that only cheer for stars instead of the home team, as mentioned above. It's never a question of "real" fans, only a question of how many.

• Premium Member

The Braves and Falcons have support? During the playoffs, yeah..I love ALL teams equally, but the Braves haven't won a series since 2001. Falcons finally won their first playoff game last year.It is just ATL and a mix of how the NBA is marketed. We don't have anyone that makes you excited.

That still misses the point. How about we look around at what other similar sized arenas/markets/teams are doing? Did Indiana sell-out? Nope. And Milwaukee? Well, they have a different team coming in that people love to adore. But can I buy tickets to the Rockets game coming up? Sure can. Grizzlies? You betcha. Are they more expensive? Sure, but it isn't like this is by a mile or anything. Teams all around the league struggle with this stuff, we might just be the only group with buffoons as owners who do not know how to price.

But this is NOT a fan issue. I was at all 2008 playoff games (and a good chunk of the '09, '11, and '12), so I know we have fans.

Just wanted to point out that there were PLENTY of Knick fans in Boston for Game 4 and that I heard Spurs fans for Game 4 in LA. Funny how flakey the fans in Boston and LA are, I think Mike Bibby had a great point back in 2008:

Sunday’s crowd was “kind of loud at the beginning,” Bibby said calmly, “but a lot of these fans might be bandwagon jumpers. They try to get on this now. Because I played here last year, too. I didn’t see three-fourths of them so it might be that.

“I remember them having bags on their heads,” he said. “Are they the ones that had bags on their heads last year? It’s just a different look, but I guess that happens when you win.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008042302&prov=ap

• Moderators

The Braves and Falcons have support? During the playoffs, yeah..I love ALL teams equally, but the Braves haven't won a series since 2001. Falcons finally won their first playoff game last year.It is just ATL and a mix of how the NBA is marketed. We don't have anyone that makes you excited.

The Braves have won the WS and the Falcons have been to the SB and three NFCC games. The Falcons also had Mike Vick who was known as the most exciting player in the league at the time and the Braves had Chipper Jones who is a god in Atlanta. The Falcons presently have a very good team and continue to get better and the Braves have the best record in the MLB. If you look at the last decade of Hawks basketball, we've gone from Shareff to Terry to Silent Joe and boneheaded Smoove. We are also a team out of our 45 year existence that has never even been out of the second round of the playoffs. Where's the excitement? Who wants to believe in that?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Braves have won the WS and the Falcons have been to the SB and three NFCC games. The Falcons also had Mike Vick who was known as the most exciting player in the league at the time and the Braves had Chipper Jones who is a god in Atlanta. The Falcons presently have a very good team and continue to get better and the Braves have the best record in the MLB. If you look at the last decade of Hawks basketball, we've gone from Shareff to Terry to Silent Joe and boneheaded Smoove. We are also a team out of our 45 year existence that has never even been out of the second round of the playoffs. Where's the excitement? Who wants to believe in that?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason why we've never been out of the 2nd round, is because we've only had about 5 or 6 teams ( on paper ) in the last 40 years that were even good enough to get out of the 2nd round. And the one time we were the #1 seed in the East, we made the Dominque trade 2 months before the end of the season, essentially killing any chance of having a "superstar" come playoff time to carry the team.

We're usually getting knocked out of the playoffs by the #1 or #2 seed. Last season was one of the rare times in which we lost to an inferior team in the playoffs.

Still . . . the issue in Atlanta is more about the passion for basketball in general, rather than us losing to superior teams in the playoffs. The fans prove they can turn it on for a few games during the playoffs, so why can't the type of crowds we see during this time, show up during the regular season?