• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks are simply overmatched versus the Pacers

gsuteke

Agreed Buzz - good coaches say we will let PG get his but make him work for it and limit everybody else. Augustine and Green going nuts shooting lights out because they are WIIIDE open - SMH.The defense is non existent - players are not communicating on defense, slow or no rotations, not fighting thru screens, out of position constantly and what ever that attempt at playing a zone - just pitiful.

Agreed Buzz - good coaches say we will let PG get his but make him work for it and limit everybody else.Augustine and Green going nuts shooting lights out because they are WIIIDE open - SMH.The defense is non existent - players are not communicating on defense, slow or no rotations, not fighting thru screens, out of position constantly and what ever that attempt at playing a zone - just pitiful.

I agree, our defense sucked last night. So many shooters left wide open from range. There was one play in particular where Smoove was following George under the basket and suddenly stopped. I assume he wanted to take his regular man while Korver would switch off onto George. Korver didn't switch. Wide open 3. Smoove and Korver left looking confused under the basket.I don't know who was supposed to switch there, but damn, that was frustrating to watch.
  • Like 1

I agree, our defense sucked last night. So many shooters left wide open from range. There was one play in particular where Smoove was following George under the basket and suddenly stopped. I assume he wanted to take his regular man while Korver would switch off onto George. Korver didn't switch. Wide open 3. Smoove and Korver left looking confused under the basket.I don't know who was supposed to switch there, but damn, that was frustrating to watch.

Yep, absolutely no communication whatsoever.

I came across this article on the Spurs defense, watching them play last time I shed a tear Posted Image cause I want a real basketball team so bad.Posted Image

How it works defensively
“Last year we were a very good offensive team, but we were a middle-of-the-road defensive team,” Gregg Popovich said in early November after the Spurs came out of the gate 4-0. “So that’s been our emphasis this year, to try to become a significantly better defensive team as we always have been.”

Popovich’s imperative has become a reality. Seventy-eight lineups in the NBA have played 100 minutes or greater, and none is more defensively efficient than this group. Ever since Leonard returned and Splitter became more comfortable with the starters, this unit has surrendered only 88.3 points per 100 possessions -- even better than its overall rating of 89.1.

Popovich and Duncan are men who appreciate order, and the Spurs' defense is designed with this proclivity in mind. Individual defenders are responsible for one-on-one duty, because early rotations create confusion, and confusion produces breakdowns, and breakdowns yield open shooters in places you don’t want to be giving up shots.

It’s not that defenders aren’t accountable to their teammates, and you’ll increasingly see two defenders pressure the ball late in the shot clock, especially if the player with the rock finds himself along the baseline. But if everyone digs, stays at home and does his job, the offense probably will settle for a long contested jumper.

In many respects, the Spurs' defensive strategy is a mirror image of their tactical plan on offense. Whereas they want to generate clean looks in the corners and at close range for themselves, they’re looking to deny opposing offenses the same. For instance, if Parker or Green gets caught down low defending a skilled big man, help will come from the baseline while the mismatched guard retreats to the high side. This boxes in that big man but, more important, makes a pass to the weak side extremely difficult. To that end, this unit gives up only 15.6 3-pointers per 48 minutes (far below league average), and opponents are hitting at only a 31 percent clip from beyond the arc. Credit not only the half-court schemes, but a transition defense that’s militant in its commitment to pick up shooters on the break.

In a league where showing high and hard has become commonplace and versatile lineups allow for switching on demand, Duncan and Splitter rarely leave the paint when defending a pick-and-roll. When they find themselves up against an attacking point guard such as Chris Paul or Russell Westbrook, it’s Parker’s job to stay up on the ball handler’s right shoulder, while Duncan and Splitter hang back, but also influence the guard to his left. Duncan won’t panic if the guard gets around both Parker and him. So long as Paul or Westbrook is moving left, cornered against the sideline, the plan is working (for reference, see 2012 Western Conference semifinals).

Splitter and Leonard have breathed new life into the Spurs' defense. Splitter adheres to Popovich’s general precepts, of course, but he’s a bit more mobile than Duncan and will get up on a side screen-and-roll a little more readily. The Spurs rarely, if ever, look to actively prevent a screen, but both Splitter and Duncan read the ball handler, looking to deny his best passing option.

From the moment Leonard arrived at training camp as a rookie following the lockout in 2011, he has been groomed as the Spurs’ designated lockdown wing, an essential ingredient in Popovich’s balanced, shipshape defense. Leonard is making good progress. First off, his ball denial to the wing is persistent, and that makes life difficult for the Rudy Gays and can stall the flow of an opposing offense. Second, Leonard is mindful of space and the Popovichian aversion to allowing incursions into the paint. This isn’t to say he isn’t a physical defender, but Leonard is far more interested in cutting off the most sensible route to the basket than he is bodying up on a guy just for the sake of it.

Take away the paint, reroute ball handlers, prevent skip passes and reversals that can hurt you, don’t gamble and get back in transition. After a couple of solid but unexceptional defensive campaigns by the Spurs of late, this new starting unit is restoring the old
spirit.

Entire article: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/tag/_/name/gregg-popovich

Like JTB suggested maybe Ferry can pry away the Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I have always joked that our perimeter defense is basically "hope they miss"....but to be fair there is a reason for that. When the evil BK de-emphasized the 1 and 5 spots...wanting all interchangeable 2-3-4s...he screwed us as far as perimeter D went.

When you go small you have to collapse inside...simple as that..to control other team's bigs. It was a flawed approach that we are just now growing out of (I hope).

BK's mis-understaning of the game of basketball is/was epic.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Yep - the ole Woody switching defense. LD panicked and brought it out for a short stint last night with Teague switching on Pendergraph and Pendergraph going straight to the post and scoring over Teague.

LD talked about not panicking with regards to changing the starting line-up from game 1 to game 2, but he was in full panick mode playing the entire squad and playing zone and switching defense. He got rid of whatever game plan he had Posted Imageand just threw whatever out and hoped that something stuck.

I have always joked that our perimeter defense is basically "hope they miss"....but to be fair there is a reason for that. When the evil BK de-emphasized the 1 and 5 spots...wanting all interchangeable 2-3-4s...he screwed us as far as perimeter D went.

When you go small you have to collapse inside...simple as that..to control other team's bigs. It was a flawed approach that we are just now growing out of (I hope).

Overmatched is what we were in 2010, when Orlando dang near had a 2 year stranglehold on us. We only beat them twice out of 8 games during that span, getting dominated in most of those losses. So when we faced them in the 2010 playoffs, it was no surprise that they beat the mess out of us again.

That was a team we didn't match up against.

Indiana is far different. Indiana is simply out working us, and out coaching us. There's no way that Paul George should be looking like Brandon Roy in his prime against us. No way.

Drew needs to start putting together a lineup that can at least make life difficult for him, even if it means sacrificing some of our "precious" outside shooting.

In essence, Kyle Korver needs to go to the bench . . . . IMMEDIATELY.

But as long as Drew keeps believing that a few 3's by Kyle is so vital to this team, that we can afford to sacrifice rebounding and defense, the Hawks are doomed.

There's no way in hell this Pacer team should sweep us. No way.

Hopefully, these guys will play with a little pride, and Drew will coach with a lot more sense, and get this series back on track.

I hope we do what Milwaukee did to us in 2010. We dominated the Bucks in those first 2 games. Then they held serve on their home floor, and even came to our place and took Game 5. If we can do that, I'll like to see the pressure on the Pacers to win a Game 6 in Atlanta, when they would've lost 13 games in a row @ Philips Arena ( if we win Games 3 and 4 ).

It's up to Drew to make the right adjustments to have the Hawks win games. And it's up to Horford, Smith, and Teague to play at a higher level, once we get back home.

The ironic thing is that the switching defense used to ALWAYS work against the Pacers. I distinctly remember when Jim O'Brien was the coach, that he praised the switching defense because it kept the Pacers off balance.

Then again, back in those days, everybody except Mike Bibby was 6 - 7 or taller ( and somewhat defensive minded ), so the switching was more effective. Employing a switching defense with Jeff Teague ( 6-2 ), Devin Harris ( 6-3 ), and Kyle Korver ( 6-7 ) . . who are all average to below average defenders . . . is just stupid.

The (( bleep )) works !! . . . But only when the (( bleep )) has players who are tall enough to guard at least 3 positions and give a damn about defense.

Look at Milwaukee right now. UP by 9 over the Heat. They had a good gameplan in Game 2, by attacking the paint with their big men, and having Jennings and Ellis scale back on their machine gun ways as shooters. But as soon as the Heat took the lead, Jennings went in to "gun mode" and shot them out of the game.

Now, both Jennings and Ellis already have 6 assists, despite only having 5 points on 6 shot attempts between them. But they're continuing to attack on the inside, and lo and behold, Dunleavy and Redick decide to show up tonight as shooters.

The Hawks need to go BIG, either by starting Petro or Ivan.

Put Josh down on the block vs George and make him defend Josh down there.

Bring Korver off the bench with the 2nd unit, to see if he can get hot vs a more favorable matchup for him ( if George goes out of the game ).

But as long as Larry believes that small ball will win it for us, we're not winning anything.

• Premium Member

They are the better team but we aren't as bad as the score has made it seem. Last years series with Boston was probably tougher and we played much better.I understood Drew sitting our players at the end of the year. You look back though and see we haven't had a lot of winning recently. I think our guys just need to get a win and we will go from there. They need to see and feel some success. Lose at home and it is over...but we can also turn it around on Sat night.

• Premium Member

Look at Milwaukee right now. UP by 9 over the Heat. They had a good gameplan in Game 2, by attacking the paint with their big men, and having Jennings and Ellis scale back on their machine gun ways as shooters. But as soon as the Heat took the lead, Jennings went in to "gun mode" and shot them out of the game. Now, both Jennings and Ellis already have 6 assists, despite only having 5 points on 6 shot attempts between them. But they're continuing to attack on the inside, and lo and behold, Dunleavy and Redick decide to show up tonight as shooters. The Hawks need to go BIG, either by starting Petro or Ivan. Put Josh down on the block vs George and make him defend Josh down there. Bring Korver off the bench with the 2nd unit, to see if he can get hot vs a more favorable matchup for him ( if George goes out of the game ). But as long as Larry believes that small ball will win it for us, we're not winning anything.

Yup, we HAVE to go big and we HAVE to stay out of foul trouble. Can't afford to have Josh and Ivan ride the bench because of fouls. Also can't have KK matched up on George.

Look at Milwaukee right now. UP by 9 over the Heat. They had a good gameplan in Game 2, by attacking the paint with their big men, and having Jennings and Ellis scale back on their machine gun ways as shooters. But as soon as the Heat took the lead, Jennings went in to "gun mode" and shot them out of the game. Now, both Jennings and Ellis already have 6 assists, despite only having 5 points on 6 shot attempts between them. But they're continuing to attack on the inside, and lo and behold, Dunleavy and Redick decide to show up tonight as shooters. The Hawks need to go BIG, either by starting Petro or Ivan. Put Josh down on the block vs George and make him defend Josh down there. Bring Korver off the bench with the 2nd unit, to see if he can get hot vs a more favorable matchup for him ( if George goes out of the game ). But as long as Larry believes that small ball will win it for us, we're not winning anything.

Yup, we HAVE to go big and we HAVE to stay out of foul trouble. Can't afford to have Josh and Ivan ride the bench because of fouls. Also can't have KK matched up on George.

Yeah, changing the lineup and rotation would help. We tried putting our worst defenders on George, how about now putting our best.

Teague KK Ivan Smith Horford, with a rotation of Devin Deshawn Tolliver and Petro is our best chance.

If you are watching the game, tell me I'm right!

Everybody was on the money with the Big Lineup. They say a series doesn't start till home team loses. I'm ready for the playoffs to start!A lot of people don't like Doris Burke, but I thinks she's very complimentary of our team and does her homework. I've been watching Josh forever and that's the first time I've seen his dad. Danny Ferry keeps a very low profile as well but they caught a glimpse of him. Looks like he's been eating good around Atlanta.

• Like 2