• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Big Opportunity, Huge Disappointment Award – to Josh Smith.

capstone21

• Admin
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/43155/223/the-roundball-stew-awards Acceptance Speech: With Joe Johnson gone, and in the last year of his contract, Smith had the right circumstances and the motivation to improve on his big stats from 2011-12 (18.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.4 spg and 1.7 spg). Instead, Smoove declined in points (17.5), boards (8.4) and steals (1.2) while shooting a career-worst 51.7 percent from the line. He did post 4.2 apg and 1.8 bpg his best in those categories the last three years and hit a career-best 0.8 3s per game, but it wasnt enough to salvage a frustrating season: Smith finished 92nd in Basketball Monsters 9-category rankings, largely because of that free throw percentage. Taking a step back, I realize that averaging around 18, eight and four with standout defensive stats is nothing to be too upset about. But given the expectations, its fair to complain and fair to be worried about Smiths decline. The free throw percentage has dropped nearly 21 points in two years (from 72.5 in 2010-11 to 51.7 this year), and he's not the dynamic shot-blocker he used to be. After posting 2.6 bpg his first four years in the league, he has averaged 1.8 the last five years (and this year, posted just 1.3 bpg from Feb. 1 onward). Yes, 1.8 is still pretty strong, but the decline in two major categories is significant for a player who turns 29 next December and is visibly not as explosive as he used to be. As a Hawks fan I appreciate what Smoove has done despite all the maddening and perplexing moments, but I would not want to sign him to a max deal this offseason.

We may not sign him to a big money deal, but someone probably will. And Josh and his people know that.

But honestly, I'm not even worried about this subject right now. We have a game to win tomorrow night. And I hope Smith keeps playing at an above average level the rest of this series.

18.5 ppg

7.8 rebs

4.5 asst

1.5 stls

0.3 blks ( only 1 block in this entire series )

50% FG

29% 3FG

48% FT

Other than his 3FG%, FT%, and BLKS, he's had a very solid series. Easily his best playoff series in his career so far.