• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Jeff Teague rank in your own opinion?

Hawkfan89

Me personally I think Jeff is on his way to being a top 10 point guard. I know some people agree with me, but some people still have have their doubts especially on sports radio. So what do you guys think? Top 10, Floor Leader, Future of the Hawks, has heart, no heart etc.. Tell me what's your opinion.

• Premium Member

Removing emotion from this because I like Jeff as a player, but he's definitely not a top ten point guard in today's NBA. Furthermore, while I think he can be a nice role player, he simply can't be a guy you build around if we're talking about building a championship team.

Edited by Jody23

I like Jeff Teague a lot, but I think calling him a Top 10 PG in the league is a bit of a stretch...

In no particular order, you have guys like - Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Tony Parker, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Steph Curry, Mike Conley, Jrue Holiday, Deron Williams, Ty Lawson...

Ok where here's my opinion...your getting bashed more so than people telling you what they think about Teagues game.So here we go first off yes Teague could be a top 10 point guard but will he no I don't see it...why?....Teague has 3 BIG problems that outweighs most good things about him and that's his confidence, aggressiveness, and heart/will.Teague has shown too many times now how effective he can be. But his confidence is on and off, his aggressiveness is on and off, he even admitted earlier in the season that he tends to shy away from contact. He don't have the will mind set or in Kobe's words "that dog in him"It's rather fustrating. Teague has good offense...he can shoot, he has worked on that floater, his passing skills have much improved, and have you noticed him and horford on the pick roll! They really click together well on those plays. Teague has awesome speed and can keep up with any player in the league. His defense is very decent as well, I won't say it's good defense because he looks to struggle in defending pick and rolls but that can be improved. We have very decent point guard who can probably average 17 and 8 right now but if he had confidence, aggressiveness, and heart every night then there ls no doubt he would be a top 10 pg and a player we could try to build around.......but that's a long shot based off his shyness, gestures, and laid back attitude.That's what I think about Teague....our could be future because the skills are there but we know it won't happen because the attitude to be that isn't there.

I'm not concerned about any PGs right now except my boy Curry. I been on the bandwagon since his rookie year where he had two great games versus us, although his game defies classification as one position or another, and his stat combinations prove as much. One of the best moments of my NBA fandom was the day they got rid of Moronic Monta so Steph could flourish and display his exquisite game. Very underrated passer and his teams' defensive and +/- numbers are almost always better with him on the floor. I'm actually looking forward to historic type of seasons from him, Wall, and Irving next season, granted they all can prove they aren't made of fine china.Oh yeah, we're talking about Jefferey. He's cool. Glad he's here and looking forward to him improving his defense next season if he's retained.

• Premium Member

Ok where here's my opinion...your getting bashed more so than people telling you what they think about Teagues game.So here we go first off yes Teague could be a top 10 point guard but will he no I don't see it...why?....Teague has 3 BIG problems that outweighs most good things about him and that's his confidence, aggressiveness, and heart/will.Teague has shown too many times now how effective he can be. But his confidence is on and off, his aggressiveness is on and off, he even admitted earlier in the season that he tends to shy away from contact. He don't have the will mind set or in Kobe's words "that dog in him"It's rather fustrating. Teague has good offense...he can shoot, he has worked on that floater, his passing skills have much improved, and have you noticed him and horford on the pick roll! They really click together well on those plays. Teague has awesome speed and can keep up with any player in the league. His defense is very decent as well, I won't say it's good defense because he looks to struggle in defending pick and rolls but that can be improved. We have very decent point guard who can probably average 17 and 8 right now but if he had confidence, aggressiveness, and heart every night then there ls no doubt he would be a top 10 pg and a player we could try to build around.......but that's a long shot based off his shyness, gestures, and laid back attitude.That's what I think about Teague....our could be future because the skills are there but we know it won't happen because the attitude to be that isn't there.

Teague's issues extend past a lack of confidence when comparing him to the top point guards. While he definitely has great physical abilities, he's not as skilled with the ball as the other point guards mentioned and his man defense can be pretty bad at times. Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

I'm not concerned about any PGs right now except my boy Curry. I been on the bandwagon since his rookie year where he had two great games versus us, although his game defies classification as one position or another, and his stat combinations prove as much. One of the best moments of my NBA fandom was the day they got rid of Moronic Monta so Steph could flourish and display his exquisite game. Very underrated passer and his teams' defensive and +/- numbers are almost always better with him on the floor. I'm actually looking forward to historic type of seasons from him, Wall, and Irving next season, granted they all can prove they aren't made of fine china.Oh yeah, we're talking about Jefferey. He's cool. Glad he's here and looking forward to him improving his defense next season if he's retained.

Sad to say but your boy Curry is not a PG. At best, he's an OG. Teague just had a season where he produced 0ver 7 apg. He increased his apg by more than 2 apg in the same system under the same coach with the same playing time. That's freaking unheard of. In fact, he played more last season than this and he has just become a better playmaker overnight.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sad to say but your boy Curry is not a PG. At best, he's an OG. Teague just had a season where he produced 0ver 7 apg. He increased his apg by more than 2 apg in the same system under the same coach with the same playing time. That's freaking unheard of. In fact, he played more last season than this and he has just become a better playmaker overnight.

While I agree that Teague's improvement was nice, we have to acknowledge that a great deal of it was a result of Joe Johnson's abscense. With Joe gone, Teague had more opportunities to handle the ball exclusively. Regarding Curry, he's definitely a scorer, but he's no off guard. We praise Teague for averaging 7.2 assists a game this year, but Curry averaged 6.9 a game while playing with Jarrett Jack. That's an accomplishment in itself as well. While his shooting gets a ton of attention, his playmaking is also exceptional. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

Curry isn't a PG? He averages almost 10 assists in the playoffs...not to mention 25 points. Honestly, would you really take Jeff Teague over Curry???? It's not even close.

• Like 3

I remember a game against the Clippers this year where Teague was playing well against Paul. The Hawks won the game and towards the end the camera cut away to a closeup of Paul and Teague. Paul was looking at Teague with respect, nodded at him and mouthed, "Good game.". Teague was very modest in his response and pretty much just shook his head. You could tell that there was some area of his game he wasn't happy with despite playing very well. That's what I like about Teague. He never settles and he is not satisfied. He knows he has the talent and you can be sure that he's going to do what it takes to improve. This, my friends, is the attitude of a winner. This is why Teague can be a top 10 point guard. Here are the box scores form that game: http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400277905

Curry isn't a PG? He averages almost 10 assists in the playoffs...not to mention 25 points. Honestly, would you really take Jeff Teague over Curry???? It's not even close.

It is rather odd championing Jeffrey as a PG and Curry an Off Guard when their assist rates are nearly identical and Jeffrey wasn't exactly touted as a floor general or facilitator himself coming out of college. This a league where the pure point is nearly dead and the scoring point is king. Rondo, Rubio, Wall and Paul are amongst the last vestiges of pure points that perform at a high level but I highly doubt that anyone would pout that they have to "settle" for a Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Lawson, Lillard, Deron, Irving, etc. to run their team. Jeffrey falls into the latter category but he's outclassed in that he can't consistently score on the level with these other scoring points while not offering much of a difference in passing ability.

I remember a game against the Clippers this year where Teague was playing well against Paul. The Hawks won the game and towards the end the camera cut away to a closeup of Paul and Teague. Paul was looking at Teague with respect, nodded at him and mouthed, "Good game.". Teague was very modest in his response and pretty much just shook his head. You could tell that there was some area of his game he wasn't happy with despite playing very well. That's what I like about Teague. He never settles and he is not satisfied. He knows he has the talent and you can be sure that he's going to do what it takes to improve. This, my friends, is the attitude of a winner. This is why Teague can be a top 10 point guard. Here are the box scores form that game: http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400277905

Are you sure it was competitiveness or him not being happy with a part of his game.........or same ole shy Jeffrey probably feeling uncomfortable with getting attention from a superstar? Considering his myriad of on court performances, interviews where he can't keep eye contact and admitting that he indeed has confidence issues I find it odd that you took that exchange in that manner.

• Like 2

Are you sure it was competitiveness or him not being happy with a part of his game.........or same ole shy Jeffrey probably feeling uncomfortable with getting attention from a superstar? Considering his myriad of on court performances, interviews where he can't keep eye contact and admitting that he indeed has confidence issues I find it odd that you took that exchange in that manner.

I guess you can interpret it in different ways but to me he wasn't satisfied, which is a good thing.

• Moderators

This is a non-thought-out ballpark range for Teague (without much thought ranking from highest to lowest in each tier). I have him near the bottom of the second tier of PGs with no chance to enter the top tier and the possibility of moving up in the 2nd tier or down into the 3rd tier depending on his development/regression.

Tier 1

Paul

Rose

Westbrook

Parker

Irving

Deron

Curry

Rondo

Tier 2

Lawson

Rubio

Conley

Holliday

Wall

Lillard

Teague

Bledsoe

Jennings

Tier 3

Vazquez

Dragic

Walker

Calderon

Hill

Lowry

Robinson

Thomas

etc.

• Like 3

Jeff Teague is a B- player.

-good speed

-good athleticism

-okay handles

-good shot recognition

-bad court vision

-inconsistent motor

-defers too much on offense

-poor defense positioning

-poor play recognition

I don't want him in a starters role.

Some of things you guys are saying makes no sense to me. Teague has all the skills he need to be a top 10 pg offensively and defensively. What he lacks is the confidence and will to do these things.You guys can't bash Teague on his skill set, he clearly has the skills.This guy is too laid back for the skills he's been blessed with. But bashing him saying he can't defend, he don't have playmaking skills, etc., etc. is way out of line.If Teague was naturally aggressive like a Nate Robinson everybody would then love him. For the record Teague has shown plenty of playmaking ability plays, he has also shown plenty of good defense over his short career as well. Go back and watch some hawks game footage. You will see that Teagues game is being hurt by his lack of aggressiveness, no confidence, shyness, and natural laid back attitude.By the way I know rose us laid back but he's aggressive on the floor.