• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Former Hawk JJ fails to advance . .

Gray Mule

Btw has anyone mentioned what JJ said about the fans a few years back and the remarks he's made since being in Brooklyn? I can't for the life of me see why us fans should give 2 shits about a guy who didn't care about the fans in Atlanta nor did he care about trying to build a winner when he accepted that mammoth contract that he backed the Hawks into. Boo freaking hoo I could honestly care less if JJ ever wins another playoff game because I care about him as much as he cares about us. None!

• Like 2

Personally I lay almost no blame at the feet of JJ...I lay it at the feet of BK and the ASG for being poor talent evaluators. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. They made similar mistakes with Marvin, Chillz, and Shelden. They were a train wreck. (and we still got the ASG)

Just based upon talent and production though - I couldn't call JJ a "great Hawk"....I would say pretty good.

He's 5th in all time points scored and 6th in all time assists . . . and 2nd in 3 pointers made.

The 5 year stretch in which the Hawks made it past the 1st round 3 times, is just as good as any Hawk star that ever played in Atlanta. Nique never made it past the 1st round more than 3 times in any 5 year stretch. Nor did Mookie, Smitty, or Deke.

20.9 ppg - 5.2 asst - 4.2 rebs . . . 45% FG . . 36% 3FG

Those are JJ's career numbers. And no Hawk guard are close to those all around numbers. Not Steve Smith. Not Lou Hudson. Not Mookie Blaylock. Only Lou Hudson can be considered to be a better guard for Atlanta, due to his high scoring and high shooting percentage.

So he HAS to be an all-time great Hawk. But in the eyes of many, Spud Webb will get props before JJ.

Just reinterates my point on how the fans either didn't like him, or had no respect for what he did do here.

Btw has anyone mentioned what JJ said about the fans a few years back and the remarks he's made since being in Brooklyn? I can't for the life of me see why us fans should give 2 shits about a guy who didn't care about the fans in Atlanta nor did he care about trying to build a winner when he accepted that mammoth contract that he backed the Hawks into. Boo freaking hoo I could honestly care less if JJ ever wins another playoff game because I care about him as much as he cares about us. None!

LOL @ Dol. JJ did no such thing to the Hawks. They always had a choice to sign him or not re-sign him. They chose to sign him. If they didn't, they'd lose him for nothing ( which they ended up doing anyway ).

And as far as his comments to the fans, he said that as a reaction from this fan base booing the Hawks from late in the 1st quarter, until the end of that game. He was asked a question about the fans booing, and his response was . . “They don’t bother me. It’s about us in this locker room. We could care less if they showed up or not.”

Notice that he said WE . . not I. And don't be naive and act like that team ( even during the 2010 season ) hadn't played in front of 1/2 empty arenas at home . . . or had to see 1/2 of the crowd cheer AGAINST them on their home floor.

So JJ, and probably a few others in that locker room, probably tried to tune the fans out when they turned negative . . or against them . . or didn't turn up at all. They knew the fans didn't 100% have their back . . because they've never 100% had their back. And they still don't.

I was at Game 3 vs Orlando. And it was embarrassing to hear the crowd boo even when the Hawks got down by 10 in the 1st quarter. The crowd had given up long before the Hawks did. But as that half came to a close, the boos got louder, and the Hawks played worse. The crowd booing the Hawks off the court at halftime, was a slap in the face to that team. Being mad is one thing. Booing the team off the court long before the game is even over, is something else.

But I forgot . . . professional players aren't supposed to have feelings, or let their feelings known. JJ, when asked that question, should've been a "good boy", and just said that . . "yeah, we deserved to get booed in the 1st quarter, and for the rest of the game".

LOL .. Hawks fans act like they're some sort of sanctified group of fans that never went through hardships before. In that series, we simply got beat by a team the we hand't matched up well against in 2 years. The fans gave their reaction FIRST.

JJ's problem was that he was too honest in that moment, instead of politically correct.

Edited by northcyde

Northcyde if I didn't think that JJ was capable of typing complete chapters in every other post I'd swear that you are JJ or his agent! I can appreciate that you are willing to defend him to the death and all but you've already shown that you care far more about him than JJ ever cared about the Hawks or us fans. Believe that or not but it's the truth, the dude didn't give a damn.

Northcyde if I didn't think that JJ was capable of typing complete chapters in every other post I'd swear that you are JJ or his agent! I can appreciate that you are willing to defend him to the death and all but you've already shown that you care far more about him than JJ ever cared about the Hawks or us fans. Believe that or not but it's the truth, the dude didn't give a damn.

That is straight BS Dol.

Did he ask to be traded? No. Did he ever shy away from the blame for anything he's ever done or not done here? No.

The dude didn't have to come here. And he didn't have to re-sign.

And it's funny how some of our fans get "butt hurt" when JJ acts like he's happy to be in Brooklyn. The Hawks showed that they didn't want him. The fans were happy to see him go. But the fans get mad when JJ acts like he's happy to be in Brooklyn? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

JJ was happy enough to be a Hawk, that he was willing to stay here 11 years, if need be. He could've easily chased a ring somewhere else, and played in Chicago or in NYC. Instead, he took the money and stayed in ATL, to see what he could do here.

It is what it is though.

And I'm sorry that I jinxed the Warriors. Game is now going into OT. Popovich makes a hell of an adjustment, by putting Boris Diaw ( of all people ) on Steph Curry, to make him shoot over top of a bigger defender. And Diaw has enough lateral quickness to at least turn Steph into a "driver" instead of a "shooter".

Steph is going to have to create shots for others, if G-State is to win this game.

Haha..well sure...if you are gonna be all honest about things...sure...he was a selfish dirtbag...I was just stretching to give him the benefit of the doubt. Posted Image

JJ will finish his contract - and in his last year he will become a much better rebounder. He will mess around on a couple one/two-year contracts - then end up taking a vet-min contract for a serious contender - get in the best shape of his life - and be a key factor in the XXX team's run to the championship. He will give NO credit to the Hawks (who made him rich) nor the other teams that he had to play for - and will talk always about how he was the key to the XXX's team winning the championship.

Our kids will watch an ESPN 30-for-30 about how Joe Johnson came out of Arkansas and "endured" the difficult years in Atlanta - then had to go to Brooklyn where his Mom couldn't watch his games - only to emerge as a key player on an NBA Championship team and attain his dream.

Joe will then run for State Senator in Arkansas and win. He will introduce a bill that Senators should not actually have to be present to cast their votes for laws. His popularity will be such that the bill will be carried and the Governor will sign it. JJ will spend the rest of his (multiple) terms voting from Aruba.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

My hate for the dude has waned since he left. I'm forever grateful Ferry shipped him, King recieved him, and I wish him well. You would think the constant chatter and pressure of the criminally escalating contract that he's gonna hear up in NY for the next 5 months would motivate him to come back maybe 10 pounds lighter to account for the fact that he can't run or jump and focus on simple ways to get his FG% up from 42. Of course I doubt it, but you would think. They say players peak between 28-32, so he still has a year to show something remotely resembling a max guy.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Personally I lay almost no blame at the feet of JJ...I lay it at the feet of BK and the ASG for being poor talent evaluators. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. They made similar mistakes with Marvin, Chillz, and Shelden. They were a train wreck. (and we still got the ASG)

Just based upon talent and production though - I couldn't call JJ a "great Hawk"....I would say pretty good.

Check and Check.

What did we put beside JJ as far as a PG is concerned? How about a C? I still say the biggest failing was to miss evaluate Marvin Williams. Just think... CP3 or Deron instead and we would have been in the ECF by now. I know it's hindsight and all that but people want to dog the one guy who showed up because he didn't show up enough? They want to blame him because he couldn't beat the Boston Celtics single handedly? Our talent is d-League and we're trying to match the big three?

As far as JJ as a "great" Hawk.

Well, in modern times. You have:

Nique

Smitty

Deke

and JJ.

JJ took his teams just as far as the other and he was a 6 time allstar with the Hawks.

• Moderators

Check and Check.

What did we put beside JJ as far as a PG is concerned? How about a C? I still say the biggest failing was to miss evaluate Marvin Williams. Just think... CP3 or Deron instead and we would have been in the ECF by now. I know it's hindsight and all that but people want to dog the one guy who showed up because he didn't show up enough? They want to blame him because he couldn't beat the Boston Celtics single handedly? Our talent is d-League and we're trying to match the big three?

As far as JJ as a "great" Hawk.

Well, in modern times. You have:

Nique

Smitty

Deke

and JJ.

JJ took his teams just as far as the other and he was a 6 time allstar with the Hawks.

Nique, Smitty, Deke will never have to buy a beer in this town. Why do you think its not that way for Joe? Is it because the fans just irrationally don't like him? Is it because we resent his money? Did we just decide 'we don't like you'?

Now maybe it is just as simple as joe not having the personality to make him a fan favorite, but to me when you make the decision to go to a franchise in order to 'be the man' then you commit yourself to become the man on and off the court. That's what the other three guys did.

I"m not weeping for Joe. The Nets will be back and be better next year. I'm not gloating that he lost but i'm sure not under the delusion that if all these dominoes had fallen perfectly while he was here we would have been contenders. Now he is playing with Deron and a real center but the excuse is he's too old now, or bad coaching, bad chemistry or refs calls or something. I'm just glad we aren't having to rehash those tired excuses again.

• Premium Member

Nique, Smitty, Deke will never have to buy a beer in this town. Why do you think its not that way for Joe? Is it because the fans just irrationally don't like him? Is it because we resent his money? Did we just decide 'we don't like you'?

Now maybe it is just as simple as joe not having the personality to make him a fan favorite, but to me when you make the decision to go to a franchise in order to 'be the man' then you commit yourself to become the man on and off the court. That's what the other three guys did.

I"m not weeping for Joe. The Nets will be back and be better next year. I'm not gloating that he lost but i'm sure not under the delusion that if all these dominoes had fallen perfectly while he was here we would have been contenders. Now he is playing with Deron and a real center but the excuse is he's too old now, or bad coaching, bad chemistry or refs calls or something. I'm just glad we aren't having to rehash those tired excuses again.

Nope. Smitty had the personality of a doorknob. It was Mookie who did all the talking. What it's really all about is Joe's contract. Same thing with Koncak. For both Joe and Koncak, the city liked them before the contract came down. After the contract, there was hate. We're not rehashing those tired excuses, but we're still rehashing excuses. Let's put it in perspective about our team for a minute. The same thing happened this offseason that happened every other offseason for the past 8 years. Josh comes in and forgets how to play basketball. He launches three after three and shoot us right out of games. He plays well and maybe we win a game. However, just like before, we depend on Josh Smith's schismatic personality to help us to win a playoff game. And he can't do it.

From all accounts he ahould have been shut down weeks ago for his plantar fasciatas. He showed heart by playing and had a bad game seven after a relatively-efficient series while playing hurt. He also played great defense revered by many throughout the series. I'll see if I can find articles to cite for what ive just said when I'm on a computer.

• Moderators

Nope. Smitty had the personality of a doorknob. It was Mookie who did all the talking. What it's really all about is Joe's contract. Same thing with Koncak. For both Joe and Koncak, the city liked them before the contract came down. After the contract, there was hate. We're not rehashing those tired excuses, but we're still rehashing excuses. Let's put it in perspective about our team for a minute. The same thing happened this offseason that happened every other offseason for the past 8 years. Josh comes in and forgets how to play basketball. He launches three after three and shoot us right out of games. He plays well and maybe we win a game. However, just like before, we depend on Josh Smith's schismatic personality to help us to win a playoff game. And he can't do it.

We agree on Josh but you can't deny people loved Smitty. If you think he had the personality of a doorknob then what does that make Joe? I guarantee there are more Smitty fans in Atlanta than Joe Johnson fans. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. I think Smith was well respected as a basketball player but a lot of people i know could barely name 5 hawks at all but they remember this:

Steve Smith's $2.5 million gift to MSU--the largest ever by a pro athlete to his alma mater--honors his late mother, his university and his high school.