• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sam Amico: "Executives feel no one other than the Lakers and the Hawks stands much of a chance to land Dwight"; Mo Cheeks option for HC?

GameTime

Whoever Ferry selects, there will be some who will not be happy wether it's an assistant, a retread, old man Sloan, some so called 'big name coach. As long as the coach has a defensive, rebounding, low turnover, play inside-out, share the ball philosophy I'm cool with that.

Until we see him head coach a team without superstars on the roster it is impossible to judge just how good he is. I also to be fair have the same criticism of Phil Jackson. He never coached a team without a superstar on it. I'm not saying that disqualifies them from being good coaches but it also doesn't automatically make them good coaches because they had superstars.

Red, Chuck Daly, Doc Rivers, Greg Popovich, Rudy T. Is Scott Brooks a good coach or is it Durant. Vinnt delNegro had stars cudn't win.Coaching and players go hand in hand.

• Premium Member

Red, Chuck Daly, Doc Rivers, Greg Popovich, Rudy T.Is Scott Brooks a good coach or is it Durant. Vinnt delNegro had stars cudn't win.Coaching and players go hand in hand.

Red built, drafted and coached his team through several versions of a dynasty. He's hand down the best coach of all time for that reason.

Daly showed he was a good coach not just in Detroit but his job in NJ.

Popovich has never not had a superstar.

Rudy T got exposed once Hakeem was no longer a star.

Scott Brooks is absolutely not a good coach. He was getting drilled for years about his lack of an offensive scheme. I also don't think Del Negro is a good coach.

Red built, drafted and coached his team through several versions of a dynasty. He's hand down the best coach of all time for that reason. Daly showed he was a good coach not just in Detroit but his job in NJ. Popovich has never not had a superstar. Rudy T got exposed once Hakeem was no longer a star. Scott Brooks is absolutely not a good coach. He was getting drilled for years about his lack of an offensive scheme. I also don't think Del Negro is a good coach.

Red still had some of the best players. So who do you consider a current good coach - Doc got fired in Orlando, was about to in Boston when he got the Big 3. SVG - he had D12 and got to finalsNate McM? Woody? Thibs? Sloan? Avery Johnson?

Red built, drafted and coached his team through several versions of a dynasty. He's hand down the best coach of all time for that reason. Daly showed he was a good coach not just in Detroit but his job in NJ. Popovich has never not had a superstar. Rudy T got exposed once Hakeem was no longer a star. Scott Brooks is absolutely not a good coach. He was getting drilled for years about his lack of an offensive scheme. I also don't think Del Negro is a good coach.

So was Doc Rivers, he wasnt necessarily a good coach until the celtics got their BIG 3

What ?

Duncan is easily one of the top 5 PFs of all time and a 2X MVP.

Robinson was an MVP and a hall of famer.

Both were easily superstars !

You missed the NOT!

JTB I disagree about Doc not being a good coach...before the big 3 in Boston Doc did an awesome job one year with the Orlando Magic..they didn't even have Tmac...his 2 best players were Ben Walkace and Chucky Atkins I believe...I think the world of Doc and would love to bring him home...being with the Celtics just ain't right, he's our son.

JTB I disagree about Doc not being a good coach...before the big 3 in Boston Doc did an awesome job one year with the Orlando Magic..they didn't even have Tmac...his 2 best players were Ben Walkace and Chucky Atkins I believe...I think the world of Doc and would love to bring him home...being with the Celtics just ain't right, he's our son.

I don't know about that I feel Doc got all this glory when the 2008 celtics formed but I' take back what said. I think Doc is more of a motivator like mark Jackson and that brings the best out of players many times.So for me or to me Doc is a average coach strategy wise and a great motivator....which balances out to a good coach. So yeah I was wrong with the previous post.

I don't know about that I feel Doc got all this glory when the 2008 celtics formed but I' take back what said. I think Doc is more of a motivator like mark Jackson and that brings the best out of players many times.So for me or to me Doc is a average coach strategy wise and a great motivator....which balances out to a good coach. So yeah I was wrong with the previous post.

Jackson and Rivers are both excellent X's & O's coaches. Both were heady PGs who were allstar caliber players due to their minds and BBIQ. They are also both good motivators.

• Premium Member

Red still had some of the best players.So who do you consider a current good coach - Doc got fired in Orlando, was about to in Boston when he got the Big 3. SVG - he had D12 and got to finalsNate McM? Woody? Thibs? Sloan? Avery Johnson?

What are you doing throwing every coach you can think of at me? lol

Doc is a good coach, he showed that in Orlando when that team of misfits with Darrell Armstrong as the best player on the team made the playoffs

SVG is an excellent coach so is Jerry Sloan.

Nate and Woody are the same thing: iso heavy only offense and zero in game changes. I don't consider that good coaching.

Not a fan of Avery Johnson either.

• Like 1

Boston fans wanted Doc out the year before the Big 3.

I lurked some celtics forums and alot of fans dont seem to like Doc.

They say Doc is good at motivating and players seem to enjoy playing for him but isnt a great X's and O's coach.

I saw some anti doc sigs while I was there too like this.

Posted Image

I lurked some celtics forums and alot of fans dont seem to like Doc.

They say Doc is good at motivating and players seem to enjoy playing for him but isnt a great X's and O's coach.

I saw some anti doc sigs while I was there too like this.

Posted Image

Doc is a good coach but somebody that draws up plays I think he lacks in that department and I'm going to take a deep breath when u say this but Larry Drew did not receive the credit he should have for his plays he ran during timeouts just saying.

Drew sucked at motivating but he can draw up a good ass offensive play. It's up to the team to execute it.

Doc on the other hand offense plays he draws up were always kind of weak to me.

Doc is a good coach but somebody that draws up plays I think he lacks in that department and I'm going to take a deep breath when u say this but Larry Drew did not receive the credit he should have for his plays he ran during timeouts just saying.Drew sucked at motivating but he can draw up a good ass offensive play. It's up to the team to execute it.Doc on the other hand offense plays he draws up were always kind of weak to me.

I agree with LD's out of time-out plays to score. Granted, it was Smoove getting a pick to the high post and throwing an oop to Horford, but still. It worked more than it didn't....

Until we see him head coach a team without superstars on the roster it is impossible to judge just how good he is. I also to be fair have the same criticism of Phil Jackson. He never coached a team without a superstar on it. I'm not saying that disqualifies them from being good coaches but it also doesn't automatically make them good coaches because they had superstars.

So I guess Popovich's not exactly a great coach either?? After all, he's had Robinson and Duncan for all these years. smmfh.

Edited by terrell

It's not about record or one good/bad season. It's about culture. Period. And I don't care about getting some washed up coach with accolades just because it is a household name. Phil Jackson had some no travel clause which is supposedly a big reason the Lakers didn't go with him. Is that the kind of coach you want coaching the Hawks? No disrespect to Phil, he is an amazing coach. But, he no longer has that fire burning. I want a coach that wants it bad!! Every coach was a nobody at some point. Hard to judge coaches because the players dictate their success.

What are you doing throwing every coach you can think of at me? lol

Doc is a good coach, he showed that in Orlando when that team of misfits with Darrell Armstrong as the best player on the team made the playoffs

SVG is an excellent coach so is Jerry Sloan.

Nate and Woody are the same thing: iso heavy only offense and zero in game changes. I don't consider that good coaching.

Not a fan of Avery Johnson either.

Posted Image Just checking.

• Premium Member

I never said having superstar(s) disqualifies you as a good coach or a great coach. I said it is when you do NOT have superstars that you can really see a difference a coach makes. Classic example: Doc in Orlando takes a bunch of bums to the playoffs and has no star players. He later on validated his coaching cred by winning one title and was a freak K. Perkins that made him miss game 7 injury in the Finals away from having two titles.

Popovich is a good coach because he's shown complete elasticity in his methodology. People hated the slow as crap, boring defense only Spurs...and seemingly have forgotten that the last two or three years the Spurs are one of the best scoring teams in the entire league. He changed his entire approach to games based on personnel and the trend in the West to be more wide open.

That is precisely the kind of in game or overall season approach to changes that I said is my #1 criteria to judge a coach on.