• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Having Pride and being a man!

Wurider05

Per the AJC, LD has been informed that they are going to look for other potential head coaches but that he was still under consideration. Personally if it was me I would tell Danny Ferry to go to hell. Pride has to come into play somewhere right!! LD did a decent job and whether they want him back or not you don't treat people like this. The guy was already the lowest paid coach in the league. He deserves a little more respect than this. Its not like he was an interim coach or something.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/hawks-will-talk-to-other-candidates-about-head-coa/nXpHg

Here is the article.

I agree that Larry Drew should tell Danny Ferry to kick rocks. Drew will probably be a candidate for pro and college coaching jobs. So there is no way in hell that I would wait on Ferry to make a decision concerning my coaching life.I agree that Larry Drew should tell Danny Ferry to kick rocks. Drew will probably be a candidate for pro and college coaching jobs. So there is no way in hell that I would wait on Ferry to make a decision concerning my coaching life.

Who is Larry Drew? Everyone knows this is a business. Players, Coaches, and GMs come and go. No one is ever safe. Unless you are the owner you should always be thinking 10 steps ahead and having options always open

• Like 3

It should be agreed that Drew is also free to interview with other teams starting now. If Drew has to wait till his contract expires (I thought that was July) would be pretty unfair.

I would assume, were I Drew that he's a goner. Why would you tell someone working for you "I'm looking for someone who can do a better job, but if I don't find one, then I'll keep you."

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Seems like business as usual to me. We should be looking at other coaches and teams should be given permission to interview LD if they're interested. Teams do that all the time with coaches and sometimes they even bring the same guy back.

I thought LD did pretty good, but what's happening with us is bigger than whether or not we keep him. If we ever want to consider ourselves contenders, then we have got to let go of this "yesterday" mentality. The most important thing right now is getting talent - even LD said as much (and in saying so, validates the opposite...that we lack the necessary talent to compete):

Even if he's not around to reap the benefits, Drew knows the Hawks must land a true superstar with all this money they have to spend.

"We've put ourselves in this situation to go out and bring in good players to take us to the next level," he said. "Talent wins. You've got to have it."

• Like 1

Yeah what's the big deal here? LD wasn't fired and they're not stringing him along. He can go interview for other jobs if he wants to and we can go interview other coaches. If it turns out that LD coaching in Atlanta is best for both sides then that's what will happen. I highly doubt that's going to be the case but at least that option is open.

• Like 2

I think LD and Ferry have a pretty open and honest relationship. I don't think it's been a snotty 'break up' type of thing at all. Good for them for working together like adults to figure out what's best for everybody instead of letting it devolve into some ugly parting of ways.

• Like 2

As a matter of fact, I would give Danny Ferry a timetable of three days to decide if I'm going to be the coach or not. Don't let him keep your life in limbo like that.

Overreact much? How exactly is he in limbo since he can go interview elsewhere if he wants?

How can you expect the Mortician to publicly tell off his GM after watching him on the sidelines for 3 years? Beyond that being outside the realm of his personality it's just plain unprofessional. Should he also pick up the phone and yell at Joe Dumars for not considering him for the Detroit job too? People acting like LD is the first lame duck coach in history. Just play it cool Larry, work on your interview skills and let your agent do his job this summer. Then you can tell Danny "thanks for the opportunity but my talents are wanted elsewhere"

Hawks Searching For New Head Coach With Larry Drew Still Under ContractAccording to ESPN, the Hawks are scoping out a few available head coach candidates to see if theres one thatd fit well in Atlantaand theyre doing so while the teams current head coach Larry Drew, whose contract with the Hawks expires on June 30, remains employed. Meanwhile, Drew is free to look around at the open coaching jobs around the League and sign somewhere else if he so pleases. Ah, the classic open relationship. Heres hoping no feelings get hurt in the process. More details: Current coach Larry Drews contract is up on June 30, and he and team general manager Danny Ferry have held several meetings this week concerning the future. But with the market for coaches wide open, both sides appear to be hedging their bets. The Hawks have informed Drew that they intend to talk to other candidates about the job. They have also given Drew the freedom to talk to other teams about jobs. There are currently job openings in Brooklyn, Detroit, Milwaukee, Charlotte and Philadelphia, plus the interim position in Phoenix. The Hawks will talk to others but could end up offering Drew a new contract. This is not the way coaching situations usually play out, but this years market is dictating some new approaches. I have great appreciation and respect for Larry and how he led our team this season, Ferry said in a statement to ESPN.com. At the same time, it is my responsibility and in the best interests of the Hawks organization to consider all of our options, and talk with other potential head coaches before making a decision about who will lead our basketball team. Larry and I have had open communication about this approach. The Hawks have already talked to several candidates, including former Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. Ferry is hoping to meet with Van Gundy in the near future. Yahoo! Sports first reported the Hawks interest in Van Gundy.

• Moderators

It's not a problem for LD so long as he is not contractually prohibited from speaking with other NBA teams, or he is contractually barred but, as already reported, the team will relieve him of that prohibition as the need arises.

It might just be no one (among other NBA teams) is biting just yet or, if they are, that LD doesn't want that interest to be public knowledge until he's close to locking one of those options down. If that time comes, ahead of June 30, he can always announce a resignation and jump without getting pushed.

~lw3

LD is under contract until June 30th. Other teams would need the Hawks permission to speak with LD about a job opening.I say LD should be interviewing, but that does not preclude Danny from telling LD that he cannot speak with other teams. I think it is in all parties interest to have LD interviewing elsewhere, but I have not seen reports that this is happening much less that this can happen.

Yes, teams will have to request permission to interview him. I think it is highly unlikely that Danny Ferry will deny any team that wants to talk to him though.

Let's compare this to what the Miami Dolphins did to Tony Sparano with a year left on his contract. They started courting a new head coach, and when they couldn't land him, the reverted back to Tony. That ended up being a disaster. When they decided that they wanted to replace Tony, they should have done it.

I don't think this is similar because Larry is essentially a free agent coach at the end of June. However, I do feel like if Danny Ferry felt that Larry was the long term answer, we would already know that.

What we don't know is what exactly has been told to Larry. He may have been told in private that they are going in another direction.

• Like 1

Yeah what's the big deal here? LD wasn't fired and they're not stringing him along. He can go interview for other jobs if he wants to and we can go interview other coaches. If it turns out that LD coaching in Atlanta is best for both sides then that's what will happen. I highly doubt that's going to be the case but at least that option is open.

Actually he's under contract.

From the article

Drew has said he would like an opportunity to interview for another head coaching position should he not be retained by the Hawks.

They are stringing him along. It's a jerk move. Larry should resign and begin looking elsewhere immediately. At his rate the 6 weeks of remaining salary aren't worth it. Word is Philly considers him a candidate and I'm sure numerous college programs would like his name recognition.

As long as he's under contract and doesn't have permission to talk to other teams, he can't. Should they keep him employed through 6/30 without any intention of hiring him it will basically keep him from getting a similar level job for next season.