• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Having Pride and being a man!

Wurider05

Anyone who thinks LD is disappointed he hasn't been fired yet is crazy.

He was lucky to be the Hawks coach anyway.20+ years as an assistant andthe Hawks were the only team that interviewed him for the head coaching Job.

Actually he's under contract. From the article They are stringing him along. It's a jerk move. Larry should resign and begin looking elsewhere immediately. At his rate the 6 weeks of remaining salary aren't worth it. Word is Philly considers him a candidate and I'm sure numerous college programs would like his name recognition. As long as he's under contract and doesn't have permission to talk to other teams, he can't. Should they keep him employed through 6/30 without any intention of hiring him it will basically keep him from getting a similar level job for next season.

Can you prove they're stringing him along or are you jumping to ASG hate conclusions again? All I've heard is they will allow him to interview if he gets a request. Larry knows he's not coming back next season just as much as we do and they're not going to stop him from interviewing and end up looking bad around the league for it.

Talk about making "a mountain out of a mole hill". Ferry is doing his due diligence and like he said:

"it is my responsibility and in the best interests of the Hawks organization to consider all of our options, and talk with other potential head coaches before making a decision about who will lead our basketball team. Larry and I have had open communication about this approach. If Larry and I continue to work together, we ultimately will be a stronger organization because of our discussions and this thorough process.

Never burn a bridge you might need to cross again.

Seems like everything is on the up and up and open.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Can you prove they're stringing him along or are you jumping to ASG hate conclusions again? All I've heard is they will allow him to interview if he gets a request. Larry knows he's not coming back next season just as much as we do and they're not going to stop him from interviewing and end up looking bad around the league for it.

You left out the quote from the article which says he has said he'd like the opportunity to interview if he isn't being retained. I derive from that he hasn't been given permission to seek other opportunities which is normal because he's still under contract. But if the ASG has no intention of retaining him, they should just cut him loose. It would be a conflict of interest for LD who is privy to the Hawks off-season plans to be allowed to talk to other teams while under contract. It would be a special permission. I have yet to see an article that says he has that permission at this time. It is asking a lot to have someone stay on, be led to believe they are a candidate for a position they already hold and to keep them from seeking those opportunities elsewhere. Without a guarantee of starting next season as the coach, they should let him go find his own deal. I've seen nothing that says that is what they are doing.

Life is about commitments. If they have no commitment to LD, its very odd they are asking him to hold one for them.

You left out the quote from the article which says he has said he'd like the opportunity to interview if he isn't being retained. I derive from that he hasn't been given permission to seek other opportunities which is normal because he's still under contract. But if the ASG has no intention of retaining him, they should just cut him loose. It would be a conflict of interest for LD who is privy to the Hawks off-season plans to be allowed to talk to other teams while under contract. It would be a special permission. I have yet to see an article that says he has that permission at this time. It is asking a lot to have someone stay on, be led to believe they are a candidate for a position they already hold and to keep them from seeking those opportunities elsewhere. Without a guarantee of starting next season as the coach, they should let him go find his own deal. I've seen nothing that says that is what they are doing. Life is about commitments. If they have no commitment to LD, its very odd they are asking him to hold one for them.

This is such a non- issue. Conflict of interest? Other coaches/assistants interview for jobs all the time even when under contract, some don't get jobs and stay with current team. Of course Drew wants to be interviewed for other positions if he is not retained - it's a statement of fact. It doesn't say he has been denied permission to interview. You don't make commitments before doing adequate research It's a process.

Just take these next 6 weeks as the Hawks giving LD notice and severence pay. From my reading of all the print materials, Drew is free to seek his own position. I don't think Ferry would block him finding another position. Frankly, I think it is a good move by Ferry to keep Drew on through the end of Drew's contract, this way Drew will not have been fired from a HC position, just let go. That is good PR to other HCs.

I think those that are having issues are really making more out of this than there is to be made. Besides, LD is a middle of the coach HC. Not great, but not awful either. He can be replaced with equal or better talent.

My strong suspecion is that SVG will get the job. They are probably discussing contract numbers and length of contract, and/or incentives. SVG has to be somewhat concerned since the Hawks don't have anything close to a full roster.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What is the controversy? Are the multiple media reports that Drew has permission somehow being contradicted?

The Atlanta Hawks have reportedly granted head coach Larry Drew permission to speak with other teams as they make a decision regarding his future with the franchise.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/383951

The Atlanta Hawks have not made a decision on the future of head coach Larry Drew, but they are looking at other candidates and are also allowing Drew to speak with other teams

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbnation/SBNation_20130511_Hawks_allowing_Larry_Drew_to_interview_with_other_teams.html

The Hawks have informed Drew that they intend to talk to other candidates about the job. They have also given Drew the freedom to talk to other teams about jobs. There are currently job openings in Brooklyn, Detroit, Milwaukee, Charlotte and Philadelphia, plus the interim position in Phoenix.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58139/hawks-look-for-coach-with-one-in-hand

This is Danny Ferry's process to run. Somehow, I seriously doubt he is just stringing Drew along - denying him the right to talk with other teams while he is interviewing prospective coaches.

• Like 2

What is the controversy? Are the multiple media reports that Drew has permission somehow being contradicted?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/383951

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbnation/SBNation_20130511_Hawks_allowing_Larry_Drew_to_interview_with_other_teams.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58139/hawks-look-for-coach-with-one-in-hand

This is Danny Ferry's process to run. Somehow, I seriously doubt he is just stringing Drew along - denying him the right to talk with other teams while he is interviewing prospective coaches.

Exactly - this is such a non-topic.

If Danny can get a coach that has taken a team past the 2nd round he should. For all the Woody hype early during the playoffs, the Knicks are facing a tough task against a very good defensive Pacers team. ISO Woody will take you just so far even with a player like Melo.

LD did a adequate job with less talent than what Woody had when he was here. Whether Drew gets another head coaching job or is hired on as a assistant, he has nothing to hang his head about. Drew will be working next season if he wants to.

• Like 1