• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight doesn't love the game

Ive been watching the NBA for a long time and have never seen a player so indifferent towards the game as Howard. His body language, the things he says, the way he acts and reacts. Here you have a physical specimen that can go down as a top 5 center to ever play the game. The modern day Wilt Chamberlain of his time(physically). I just don't really understand his mentality. Why is he such a goof ball. I dunno, a part of me thinks it could change but another part of me thinks Dwight will never get it and will never maximize his potential. I wish Dwight had a Michael Jordan mentality. Smh

I agree that everybody is different. I'm not saying he shouldn't be happy. Shaq was happy, but the guy knew when to turn it on and off. There's a time to be goofy and a time to ramp up your play and dominate people.

• Moderators

I watched a short documentary on this very subject. The documentary analyzed the top players from every sport throughout time and it showed that the best players have almost nothing else going on in their lives besides the sports they play. It was specifically aimed at Tiger Woods and it showed that before 2010 when Tiger was winning tournament after tournament, he was spending ungodly amounts of time in the weight room and practicing every aspect of his game. He rarely spent any time outside of golf and his personal life truly suffered from it. Currently, they say Tiger is happier on a personal level because he spends more time with his children and his new GF and less time on the golf course. He is happier, but he hasn't won a major since 2010 and now Jack's major record looks safe. The documentary also went on to say that MJ use to practice his game for 16 hours a day and Gretzky would go days w/o seeing his family because he use to sleep at the practice facility. Kobe doesn't have a perfect social life either. He's faced divorce countless times but I guess that his wedding band is taking space where another championship ring could go.My point is that to be the greatest at really anything in life it takes a high level of devotion that a lot of people aren't willing to put in. Most people try to balance their work life with their family, social, and other aspects of their lives, but to be the greatest at what you do, certain aspects have to take a backseat. It's a lot more devotion than I'd be willing to put forth... Dwight is happy because he has a great life and he has a great life because he has everything balanced. He could go Kobe and drop everything but basketball and become the greatest center in basketball, but would that make him happy? Happiness is at the center of every goal that every person throughout history has every made. Dwight does what makes him happy and hopefully that includes signing with the Hawks this offseason. :DSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

His parents were pretty well off and he spent his entire school career sheltered in one private place. Not saying that's bad or a player can't succeed and be hungry with that foundation, but it doesn't happen often and definately not with a personality where you try so hard to be liked. Like Shaq and Yao before him, he'll never have that dog in him to exceed expectations of character, toughness, and hard work toward the game. I've never heard any testimony of Dwight going hard in practice or in the offseason ever. He's just a confused soul. When he first got to the league, he was supposedly going to be a champion for Christianity. A few Baby Mamas later, and that's all but forgotten.

He was a spoiled kid as a child it sounds like and he has zero work ethic. He's had everything handed down to him and never had to work for anything. There is no reason for him to change his attitude because he gets everything he wants as it is.

His parents were pretty well off and he spent his entire school career sheltered in one private place. Not saying that's bad or a player can't succeed and be hungry with that foundation, but it doesn't happen often and definately not with a personality where you try so hard to be liked. Like Shaq and Yao before him, he'll never have that dog in him to exceed expectations of character, toughness, and hard work toward the game. I've never heard any testimony of Dwight going hard in practice or in the offseason ever. He's just a confused soul. When he first got to the league, he was supposedly going to be a champion for Christianity. A few Baby Mamas later, and that's all but forgotten.

He was a spoiled kid as a child it sounds like and he has zero work ethic. He's had everything handed down to him and never had to work for anything. There is no reason for him to change his attitude because he gets everything he wants as it is.

This is bullshit. Dwight worked his ass off to get where he is. He worked hard in school and in the gym. Look at him. That dude is not a lazy person. Is hoops his end all be all, probably not. But, compare his work ethic to anyone on the Hawks and tell me he doesn't match up or prevail.

What a #*&$*# post

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Ive been watching the NBA for a long time and have never seen a player so indifferent towards the game as Howard. His body language, the things he says, the way he acts and reacts. Here you have a physical specimen that can go down as a top 5 center to ever play the game. The modern day Wilt Chamberlain of his time(physically). I just don't really understand his mentality. Why is he such a goof ball. I dunno, a part of me thinks it could change but another part of me thinks Dwight will never get it and will never maximize his potential. I wish Dwight had a Michael Jordan mentality. Smh

Funny that you mention WIlt.

Same criticism fell on Wilt. Wilt would get his ass kicked by Bill Russell and the Celtics because they were tough and mean and Wilt was not. The criticism that fell on the big dipper is that he didn't really commit himself to the game. Even though he scored 100 points, even though he was the rebound leader every year...they said that he was too much of a pussycat to be dominant. He was seen as being more interested in making money than being a champion. While it's a different criticism, it's the same criticism.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Disagree.

I think that Dwight has plenty o fire.

This is bullshit. Dwight worked his ass off to get where he is. He worked hard in school and in the gym. Look at him. That dude is not a lazy person. Is hoops his end all be all, probably not. But, compare his work ethic to anyone on the Hawks and tell me he doesn't match up or prevail.

So because a guy has big muscles means he works hard at getting better as a basketball player? Compare his piss poor all about himself attitude to anyone on the Hawks and tell me that they match up to his. The guy has zero heart and the minute he faces some adversity he mentally checks out of the game.

So because a guy has big muscles means he works hard at getting better as a basketball player? Compare his piss poor all about himself attitude to anyone on the Hawks and tell me that they match up to his. The guy has zero heart and the minute he faces some adversity he mentally checks out of the game.

You have no idea what you're talking about and it makes you look foolish. Unlike LeBron, Dwight wasn't some NBA ready super specimen. He did have to work to add weight and play with the smarts he has defensively. He doesn't have a Jordan or Kobe like work ethic but it didn't all fall in his lap either.

• Moderators

You bring a lot of new insight to the board.

...and you bring nothing but negativity and bull shit... There are quite a few 6'11" guys that are sitting at home on the couch right now... You don't get handed the NBA, the honor of being a first overall pick, DPOY awards, or repeat nominations to the All Star game, All-NBA team, or All-Defensive team with putting forth effort, devotion, and work. All Dwight can be is Dwight and he has done well thus far with the shit teams he has had to carry. ------------------

Edited by AHF

...and you bring nothing but negativity and bull shit... There are quite a few 6'11" guys that are sitting at home on the couch right now... You don't get handed the NBA, the honor of being a first overall pick, DPOY awards, or repeat nominations to the All Star game, All-NBA team, or All-Defensive team with putting forth effort, devotion, and work. All Dwight can be is Dwight and he has done well thus far with the shit teams he has had to carry. Just STFU and GTFO.

How does ------------------------

Because Howard is from Georgia apparently he's the best player to ever touch the court. Some of you guys are insane.

Edited by AHF

Dwight loves the game. Dwight is just isn't a killer personality. He's more of a diva type but he works hard and you can clearly see it. Smh, what about those who say this about Josh Smith. The guy works on his game non-stop. Stop using armchair logic to post your bias views.

How does ----------------------? Because Howard is from Georgia apparently he's the best player to ever touch the court. Some of you guys are insane.

When people run out of points to debate they start throwing tantrums like a spoiled 3 year old. Classic childish internet persona.

Edited by AHF