• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Cap space article.

1) If Minnesota will match a maximum of 12 million for Pek, they'll do it end of discussion. 2) A combo of Horford, Jeff, and Lou along with "some solid fillers" doesn't even equate to the nucleuses of the Clevelands, Detroits, Torontos, or Washingtons much less established East playoff teams.

Horford is rock solid but have you seen him in double situations. He's foul prone now wait until he has to face the best 4s in the league.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

A combo of Horford, Jeff, and Lou along with "some solid fillers" doesn't even equate to the nucleuses of the Clevelands, Detroits, Toronto.

So you think that we will only resign Jeff Teague and that's it??? And then what??? Try to win 10 games? Y'all nuts!

• Moderators

We are not tanking. If we were then we would have this season.

This season there are two superstars who can come in FA and no stud prospects in the draft.

Next season, there will be no superstars in FA and multiple studs in the draft.

Very different dynamic.

This season there are two superstars who can come in FA and no stud prospects in the draft.

Next season, there will be no superstars in FA and multiple studs in the draft.

Very different dynamic.

I don't necessarily agree that there aren't any stud prospects in this years draft. I think a guy like Otto Porter is more than capable of putting a team on his back and being a lead dog scorer or pretty close to it. And you've got Shabazz who wasn't anything special in college but is undeniably talented. There are also several big C prospects who could end up being good as well.

• Moderators

So you think that we will only resign Jeff Teague and that's it??? And then what??? Try to win 10 games? Y'all nuts!

If we decide to tank, I don't know why we would even bother signing Teague. If you are going to tank, you try to land a star -- you don't try to land the #10 pick.

And sure it's easy to predict that a team of 6 players would suck but we're going to have at least 13 players on the roster and the bottom 2-3 will likely be rookies who won't play a lot.

The notion that we wouldn't play our rookies heavy minutes in a year in which we are trying to tank is just bizarre to me. Tanking teams play worse players on purpose -- preferably young ones whose development will help the team long-term.

Here is a sample tanking lineup and rotation:

PG: Jose Calderon (1 year; 9M) / Will Bynum (1 year; 4M)

SG: John Jenkins / Lou Williams / Wesley Johnson (4M, TO for 2nd year)

SF: Jamaal Franklin* / 2nd round pick (Andre Roberson, Deshaun Thomas?)

PF: Al Horford / Mike Scott / Jason Maxiel (1 year; 4M)

C: Rudy Golbert* / Al Horford / Jason Maxiel / Ronny Turiaf (1 year; 2M)

(Our picks in Chad Ford's last mock draft)

On Pekovic, I am pretty sure that Minnesota is going to keep him but I wouldn't hate it if we take a shot at him if we don't land Dwight and look for bargains (not necessarily low $$ - Horford is a bargain) or hold the rest of our cap space. I think Pekovic should actually be a value on his deal, not that it is without real risk. I just expect the TWolves will think the same thing and match.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

I don't necessarily agree that there aren't any stud prospects in this years draft. I think a guy like Otto Porter is more than capable of putting a team on his back and being a lead dog scorer or pretty close to it. And you've got Shabazz who wasn't anything special in college but is undeniably talented. There are also several big C prospects who could end up being good as well.

None of them would be projected in the top 5 for next year's draft. I do expect several very good players will emerge from this year's draft but there aren't any who are stud prospects, IMO, so it will be a combination of good scouting and luck as to which team gets the next Paul George and which gets the next Shelden Williams. (As someone who is a sophmore in age, Shabazz's production at UCLA takes him out of the stud prospect category).

• Premium Member

Who would go see the Hawks play if we won between 15-30 games and look worse than we did this year? This team would have to move if there are 3 years or more of <30 wins per season like Detroit/Cleveland/Washington/Charlotte/phlly etc.

The notion that we wouldn't play our rookies heavy minutes in a year in which we are trying to tank is just bizarre to me. Tanking teams play worse players on purpose -- preferably young ones whose development will help the team long-term. Here is a sample tanking lineup and rotation: PG: Jose Calderon (1 year; 9M) / Will Bynum (1 year; 4M)SG: John Jenkins / Lou Williams / Wesley Johnson (4M, TO for 2nd year)SF: Jamaal Franklin* / 2nd round pick (Andre Roberson, Deshaun Thomas?)PF: Al Horford / Mike Scott / Jason Maxiel (1 year; 4M)C: Rudy Golbert* / Al Horford / Jason Maxiel / Ronny Turiaf (1 year; 2M) (Our picks in Chad Ford's last mock draft) On Pekovic, I am pretty sure that Minnesota is going to keep him but I wouldn't hate it if we take a shot at him if we don't land Dwight and look for bargains (not necessarily low $$ - Horford is a bargain) or hold the rest of our cap space. I think Pekovic should actually be a value on his deal, not that it is without real risk. I just expect the TWolves will think the same thing and match.

Sure if we are tanking then the rookies will play but I don't buy the notion that we will tank. If we hire some crappy coach and don't sign anyone of significance or for more than a year in FA then yeah I guess we will try and tank but I don't see that being something the Hawks will do. Btw isn't there a minimum amount if money teams have to spend each year? If that's the case does your tanking roster reach that minimum?

None of them would be projected in the top 5 for next year's draft. I do expect several very good players will emerge from this year's draft but there aren't any who are stud prospects, IMO, so it will be a combination of good scouting and luck as to which team gets the next Paul George and which gets the next Shelden Williams. (As someone who is a sophmore in age, Shabazz's production at UCLA takes him out of the stud prospect category).

Perhaps not sure fire stud prospects and yes it will probably be a deal where a guy like George emerges, but I don't think this class is as weak as some have projected. Shabazz is a sophomore by age but only had 1 year of college so he's far from a developed prospect. But he could end up being a dud in the NBA.

• Moderators

Who would go see the Hawks play if we won between 15-30 games and look worse than we did this year? This team would have to move if there are 3 years or more of <30 wins per season like Detroit/Cleveland/Washington/Charlotte/phlly etc.

I don't think the Hawks will do well in attendance until they get a stud.

As an aside, the only teams on your list that actually won fewer than 30 games over the last 3 years are the Cavs and Wizards.

• Moderators

Btw isn't there a minimum amount if money teams have to spend each year? If that's the case does your tanking roster reach that minimum?

Yes. With a salary cap of $60M for next season, the Hawks would have to have $54M in salaries.

My hypothetical tanking roster would need to add salary so replace Turiaf with a $9M Dalembert 1 year deal and bring him off the bench for 20 mpg. If the cap ends up higher, we could bridge the gap either by giving one of the filler players more money or by signing another player to the open roster spot.

As an aside, I get the idea that we won't tank. If we don't tank, then I agree with your original comments about us being near the bottom of the EC playoff teams to the middle of pack depending on how the roster is filled out (and assuming we don't land a stud).

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

People are looking for this "pie in the sky" solution. But in reality, we're going to have to get extremely lucky, and/or be at the right place at the right time.

I'm like you man. I have no interest whatsoever in watching a 20 win Atlanta Hawks team, hoping and waiting for that "miracle" to be bestowed upon us.

I see what Minnesota fans are going through, after having a Hall of Famer on their team that the organization FAILED to expound on their success in 2003, and see them trade their star, and reboot TWICE with a rebuilding plan. Currently, they're on a 9 year playoff drought.

I see what Sacramento is going through, with shady owners and a fan base that is so tired of them, that they had the owners ready to sell off the team to a new ownership . . which would move them to a new city. They haven't made the playoffs in 7 years, after making the playoffs 8 straight years

I see what Charlotte is going through, with only one playoff appearance in their short 9 year existence hoping that their young talent, and their management, finally figures it out and find the chemistry to produce a winner.

Right now is our moment in time. If we can't land a superstar with damn near 40 million in potential cap space, and we have to literally be at the bottom of the barrel to get a chance at a top 3 draft pick ( and hope we select the guy who might be a superstar ), what the hell are we supposed to do? Just be miserable for 6 years, with no hope, then hope we strike lightning in a bottle in Year 7.

(( Bleep )) that.

If we can't land Paul or Howard, Ferry BETTER bring Al Jefferson in here, and see if he and Horford can create one of the best offensive frontlines in the league. People act like we only have one option, or blow it all up. Damn that. If we can't beat Miami, I want to beat everyone else. Just make sure we're the #2 seed next year, and hope someone on the Heat has an off series.

But tanking . . . or just giving up altogether? Forget that. That's how you lose fans.

If we do that, and the Grizzlies get to the NBA Finals, 1/2 of Georgia will become Grizzlies fans.

• Like 2

• Moderators

People are looking for this "pie in the sky" solution. But in reality, we're going to have to get extremely lucky, and/or be at the right place at the right time.

I'm like you man. I have no interest whatsoever in watching a 20 win Atlanta Hawks team, hoping and waiting for that "miracle" to be bestowed upon us.

I see what Minnesota fans are going through, after having a Hall of Famer on their team that the organization FAILED to expound on their success in 2003, and see them trade their star, and reboot TWICE with a rebuilding plan. Currently, they're on a 9 year playoff drought.

I see what Sacramento is going through, with shady owners and a fan base that is so tired of them, that they had the owners ready to sell off the team to a new ownership . . which would move them to a new city. They haven't made the playoffs in 7 years, after making the playoffs 8 straight years

I see what Charlotte is going through, with only one playoff appearance in their short 9 year existence hoping that their young talent, and their management, finally figures it out and find the chemistry to produce a winner.

Right now is our moment in time. If we can't land a superstar with damn near 40 million in potential cap space, and we have to literally be at the bottom of the barrel to get a chance at a top 3 draft pick ( and hope we select the guy who might be a superstar ), what the hell are we supposed to do? Just be miserable for 6 years, with no hope, then hope we strike lightning in a bottle in Year 7.

(( Bleep )) that.

If we can't land Paul or Howard, Ferry BETTER bring Al Jefferson in here, and see if he and Horford can create one of the best offensive frontlines in the league. People act like we only have one option, or blow it all up. Damn that. If we can't beat Miami, I want to beat everyone else. Just make sure we're the #2 seed next year, and hope someone on the Heat has an off series.

But tanking . . . or just giving up altogether? Forget that. That's how you lose fans.

If we do that, and the Grizzlies get to the NBA Finals, 1/2 of Georgia will become Grizzlies fans.

Al Jefferson at $14-15M plus Tyreke Evans at $12M plus filling out the roster doesn't equal the #2 seed next year.

Chicago with Rose, Deng, Boozer, Noah, etc. and the Indiana Pacers would be ahead of us, IMO. We would be fighting it out with the Nets (shooting for #2-7 for the next 3 years) and the Knicks (swap out the oldies for a new set and see how that shakes out) for the #3 - #6 seeds. There will probably be a team or two that emerges form the lower EC to challenge as well.

I would hope we turn into the next Memphis but bear in mind that their historic high this season is a #5 seed.

Check this article out:

https://blogs.emory.edu/sportsmarketing/2013/05/15/which-nba-team-has-the-best-home-fans-and-who-has-the-worst-hint-it%E2%80%99s-new-york/

One of the core concepts we work with at Emory Sports Marketing Analytics is brand equity. Brand equity is basically the advantage that a firm has over its competitors due to their brand being better known and having more loyal followers. In the realm of sports, brand equity can be thought of as capturing the size and intensity of a team’s fan base. As the NBA playoffs proceed to their climax this year, we decided to examine the brand equity of all 30 NBA franchises

Posted Image

The fans haven't come out for the last mediocre product, they won't come out for the next. Give them a star or don't stop til you do.

Edited by MaceCase

Signing Jefferson and Korver will lead to becoming a treadmill team like Milwaukee. You are not just tanking for draft picks but for free agency as well. You're hedging your bets so to speak.

San Antonio before they drafted Duncan were a 7 straight year playoff team. 3 first round exits, 3 second round exits, and 1 conf. finals. They were essentially the 07-13 Hawks. Things changed drastically for them when they tanked for Duncan. Otherwise, they would have been a treadmill team.

• Premium Member

No one is debating whether we need to acquire the best players possible! What posters are saying is the only way to guarantee it is thru free agency. The Draft is a crap shoot! And even when you get it right, there is no guarantee that the Player that you waited so patiently for will win that ring or even stay with your team...Looking back at the Marvin Williams draft, How many, of those players are even with the same team that drafted them? The only point I am making it that you guys are making it seem as though if you purposefully not make the playoffs somehow going to end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft and that first or second pick will stay with your team and lead your team to a championship some day which is totally asinine thinking! How did that work out the Cleveland?

• Like 1

1. 1st of all no team starts off a season thinking lets tank. Most Teams make moves in the offseason with the anticipation of getting better. 2. I said it before and I'll say it again - cap space is not all about signing FA's and using it in one off season.3. Chances are we get neither D12 or CP3 4. Just because we have the money for 2 star free agents it doesn't follow that if we miss on them then Ferry will sign 2 from the next tier in AJ/mayo/Evans/Pek etc. - how bout just one (would like a center) and supplement the roster thru the draft and lower level free agents on short term contracts to maintain flexibility. With that flexibility a mid season trade might pop up.

No one is debating whether we need to acquire the best players possible! What posters are saying is the only way to guarantee it is thru free agency. The Draft is a crap shoot! And even when you get it right, there is no guarantee that the Player that you waited so patiently for will win that ring or even stay with your team...Looking back at the Marvin Williams draft, How many, of those players are even with the same team that drafted them? The only point I am making it that you guys are making it seem as though if you purposefully not make the playoffs somehow going to end up with the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft and that first or second pick will stay with your team and lead your team to a championship some day which is totally asinine thinking! How did that work out the Cleveland?

Oh yea? Well history has proven you wrong. Pay attention to this post which ironically was in direct response to you:

That is a legit view.

Of the last 40 NBA champions, 7 of them didn't draft the finals MVP:2012 Miami Heat - Lebron2004 Detroit Pistons - Billups2000-02 Lakers - Shaq1985 Lakers - Kareem1983 Sixers - Moses

1 of the last 40 NBA champions didn't have a drafted, All-NBA, star playing at least as the second best player on their team in the NBA finals.

You can pick your Lebron and Paul and Deron but what about Kobe, or Duncan or Wade or Pierce? Free agency is a bigger crapshoot than the draft and has been proven to have a lesser correlation to winning a championship. You can make the strawman of expecting the #1 or #2 being a given if a team tanks but the fact is that you need top picks. Of the remaining teams in the Playoffs only Duncan, Bogut and Lebron were drafted #1 overall while everyone else from Carmelo (3rd) to Conley (4th) to Wade (5th) to Curry (7th) to George (10th) all also being top performers for their teams.

• Premium Member

Oh yea? Well history has proven you wrong. Pay attention to this post which ironically was in direct response to you: You can pick your Lebron and Paul and Deron but what about Kobe, or Duncan or Wade or Pierce? Free agency is a bigger crapshoot than the draft and has been proven to have a lesser correlation to winning a championship. You can make the strawman of expecting the #1 or #2 being a given if a team tanks but the fact is that you need top picks. Of the remaining teams in the Playoffs only Duncan, Bogut and Lebron were drafted #1 overall while everyone else from Carmelo (3rd) to Conley (4th) to Wade (5th) to Curry (7th) to George (10th) all also being top performers for their teams.

Paul Pierce is the better than Horford? Wade a second fiddle too?