• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interviewed Nate McMillan

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

CHICAGO – Nate McMillan interviewed for the Atlanta Hawks' coaching job on Wednesday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry is going through the unorthodox process of conducting a coaching search while his current coach, Larry Drew, remains under contract until June 30.

Drew is highly unlikely to be retained as coach, but Ferry has reserved the remote option of revisiting contract extension talks with Drew should the Hawks fail to attract a coach Ferry believes is a better fit for the franchise.

McMillan also is a candidate for the coaching openings with the Milwaukee Bucks and Detroit Pistons. He's already interviewed with those teams.

Ferry has shown significant interest in former Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, but Van Gundy is unlikely to return to coaching this season.

McMillan was fired as the Portland Trail Blazers' coach in 2012. Across seven seasons with the Blazers, he had a .497 winning percentage and advanced to the first-round of the Western Conference playoffs in 2009, '10 and '11.

McMillan previously was the Seattle Sonics' coach for five seasons, where he reached the playoffs twice as coach. In his final year there, McMillan led the Sonics to 52 regular-season victories and the conference semifinals in 2004-05.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--hawks-interview-nate-mcmillan-for-head-coaching-job-005730235.html

Don't like him because he's Woody with hair but he is a "name" and does have roots with all the members of Team USA seeing as he was the defensive assistant for the Beijing and London Olympic teams plus the 2006 and 2010 World Championship teams.

• Like 1

Don't like him because he's Woody with hair but he is a "name" and does have roots with all the members of Team USA seeing as he was the defensive assistant for the Beijing and London Olympic teams plus the 2006 and 2010 World Championship teams.

He is a name with a good reputation. I am not impressed with his playoff experience/record but at the same time getting into the playoffs in the West has been a tougher accomplishment than in the East for a very long time.

He is a name with a good reputation. I am not impressed with his playoff experience/record but at the same time getting into the playoffs in the West has been a tougher accomplishment than in the East for a very long time.

I admit I gotta do more research on him.

Looks like the SVG most likely is a no-go.

Ferry has shown significant interest in former Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, but Van Gundy is unlikely to return to coaching this season.
Edited by GameTime

I admit I gotta do more research on him.

Looks like the SVG most likely is a no-go.

I am open to him but he is getting plenty of looks from other teams as well. Hate SVG does not want to coach this season. With all the vacancies, this could be a great chance for him to snag some lineup/player control as well. Don't know if Ferry would go for that but I do think Ferry is one of those GM's who will respect his coaches opinion. Just my thought on Ferry.

• Premium Member

I do not want Nate. Most of these "name" coaches have serious flaws which is they are retreads. If you didn't watch enough Blazer games let me clue you in: Nate is Woody with Iso Joe but at an even SLOWER pace. I have zero interest in a coaching scheme that literally died in the late 90's early 2000's when they changed the game to discourage isolation only offenses.

• Like 3

Is this interviewing a minority?

I don't think the NBA has that requirement like the NFL does. Even if it did I don't think it would affect us since we have an outgoing minority coach. I could be wrong about that but I think in the NFL you don't have to satisfy that rule in that case.

I am trying to think of a team that Nate coach that underachieved. Examples would be helpful.

But aside from that, we would want to pair him with a good X's and O's type of guy. I do not have a big problem with Nate, I would actually like to see him here. If I am not mistaken, his good buddy Dale Ellis is still in Marietta area.

Even if his teams didn't underachieve, did any of his teams overachieve? He had some nice regular seasons but he's never had a single postseason that LD or really even Woody would be proud of and that's with some pretty talented teams. When it counts the most he is 14-20 for a .414 winning percentage and that's just more of the same in Hawk land (LD .417 & Woody .353), only with a more well known name and probably a higher salary than what we've seen here.

I do not want Nate. Most of these "name" coaches have serious flaws which is they are retreads. If you didn't watch enough Blazer games let me clue you in: Nate is Woody with Iso Joe but at an even SLOWER pace. I have zero interest in a coaching scheme that literally died in the late 90's early 2000's when they changed the game to discourage isolation only offenses.

HELLOOOO!!!! did you guys miss what the man said! I was going to say it but there's no need. I don't like McMillan offense because he is another iso coach that is not a upgrade over LD. In case you guys don't know the blazers ran iso Brandon Roy just like the hawks but failed terribly bad in the playoffs with iso Roy. Ferry has to be smarter than this. Big name says who? Just because he was on the Olympic coaching staff?! I could care less about that! His offense sucks very very bad he run isos people ISOS. We already went through this phase!