• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stan Van Gundy will not coach next season

capstone21

• Moderators

Stan: "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah..."

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/5/21/4351200/stan-van-gundy-nba-return-atlanta-hawks

(via David Baumann, Orlando sports radio 1080 The Team, @DavidBaumann33):

Stan Van Gundy: "The longer you are out, the more difficult it is to get back in... Right now it's not in the best interest of my family."

~lw3

We will never know if SVG was actually plan A. It could have been that Danny just wanted to gauge his interest in coaching again and never intended to make him the top target.

It is very possible that one from the group of MIke Budenholzer, Mike Malone, and Brian Shaw was Plan A all along.

I think this seriously hurts our chances of getting D12 and Paul.

I'm not sure how realistic those options were.

Atlanta's best option may be to resign Jeff Teague to a contract somewhere between what Mike Conley got (5 years, $40 million) and what Ty Lawson got (4 years, $48 million). Jeff isn't in Chris Paul's class, but neither are about 32 other point guards in the league. Jeff did improve his decision making enough to jump into that next teir this past season, where he sits with guys like Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, and Jeremy Lin.

Then, make an offer to Nikola Pekovic that Minnesota cannot match, or make a deal to get Omer Asik out of Houston, Kosta Koufos out of Denver, or Nikola Vucevic out of Orlando. Then, go into the draft looking to add another. Someone like Mason Plumlee, Steven Adams, or Giorgiu Dieng.

I'd also seriously consider making a run at Kelvin Martin.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure how realistic those options were.

Atlanta's best option may be to resign Jeff Teague to a contract somewhere between what Mike Conley got (5 years, $40 million) and what Ty Lawson got (4 years, $48 million). Jeff isn't in Chris Paul's class, but neither are about 32 other point guards in the league. Jeff did improve his decision making enough to jump into that next teir this past season, where he sits with guys like Ty Lawson, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, and Jeremy Lin.

Then, make an offer to Nikola Pekovic that Minnesota cannot match, or make a deal to get Omer Asik out of Houston, Kosta Koufos out of Denver, or Nikola Vucevic out of Orlando. Then, go into the draft looking to add another. Someone like Mason Plumlee, Steven Adams, or Giorgiu Dieng.

I'd also seriously consider making a run at Kelvin Martin.

I have no interest in wasting our cap space for players of that ilk. We either swing for the fences on actual superstars or we sit on our cap space and pay enough to meet the min. team salary to still have cap space for next offseason. The worst thing we can do as a franchise is go right back to playoff mediocrity.

• Like 3

I have no interest in wasting our cap space for players of that ilk. We either swing for the fences on actual superstars or we sit on our cap space and pay enough to meet the min. team salary to still have cap space for next offseason. The worst thing we can do as a franchise is go right back to playoff mediocrity.

Well- the Hawks have to chart our own course and Ferry has a few key decisions to make...how to trade up in the draft and whether Jeff Teague is the future point guard of the Hawks. If not then we can certainly package a deal to move up and grab Oladipo, Burke etc., and sign Al Jefferson to hold down the middle.

That way we will have a great combination of young talent with front court depth (after resigning Zaza). The lottery tonight will begin the early stages of identifying who to target if we intend on moving up in the draft.

I am going to trust Danny to make solid decisions on all fronts. If he thinks tanking back into the lottery is in our best interest so be it. I honestly think that is his plan C or D at best.

Alienating the fan base more just seems to be a marketing nightmare. 6 straight seasons in the playoffs, the promises of building a championship caliber team, now we swing for the fences by holding onto our money and gutting the team.

Sounds all to familiar to me.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

I am going to trust Danny to make solid decisions on all fronts. If he thinks tanking back into the lottery is in our best interest so be it. I honestly think that is his plan C or D at best.

Alienating the fan base more just seems to be a marketing nightmare. 6 straight seasons in the playoffs, the promises of building a championship caliber team, now we swing for the fences by holding onto our money and gutting the team.

Exactly..

Alienating the fan base would be getting rid of Joe and getting more mediocrity.

Heck we might as well keep this lineup if we were to overpay for mediocre talent:

Crawford

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

I think this seriously hurts our chances of getting D12 and Paul.

How? Byron Scott is Chris Paul's father-in law (jk kinda)

Dwight wanted Shaw and Mike Malone: http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/04/report-dwight-howard-wanted-brian-shaw-or-michael-malone-to-coach-orlando/

Those are 3 guys that can bring both in. I believe Messina can make a heck of a pitch. Not sure about Buden.

Alienating the fan base would be getting rid of Joe and getting more mediocrity.

Heck we might as well keep this lineup if we were to overpay for mediocre talent:

Crawford

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

Josh Smith

Al Horford

1st round playoff talent contains better talent than those teams with lottery talent. Ferry said you build through the draft, free agency, and trades. I don't recall him saying we are going to rebuild only through the lottery.

This do or die syndrome with FA CP3/D12 or lottery is typical fantasy team strategy. If it was the only one that worked Boston ( trades ), Detroit ( trades ), and the Mavericks ( trades ) would not have won any championships. Even the Lakers traded for Shaq and Gasol.

Dallas drafted Dirk 9th

LA Bynum 10th and traded for Kobe 13th pick

Boston drafted Pierce 10th

We have Horford who we drafted 3rd. We don't have to tank to get a good pick. There is this thing called trades they do a lot of in the NBA. We still have the ping pong balls left to do, but how many of the top 15 picks will be taken by the original team of record?

I want Howard and/or CP3, but its not a championship or bust situation. Exactly how many titles do those two have combined?

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I would double like your post if I could. No way should Ferry move the basis for our mediocrity (overpaid mediocre players) just to bring more in. As far as the coaching search goes, I think Shaw will get serious consideration now that SVG is out. His credentials as a former player and a guy that STAR players respect make him attractive as an option.

Tough to hear but I think most of us considered him a long shot. It must just be a Van Gundy thing. Once they get away, they are gone!I wonder if Jeff or Stan will ever coach again?

I agree with sothron ahawks89 and whoever says no mediocrity...I can't take it anymore...either get a superstar or two or tank for next draft wiggins Parker and randle...no more middle of the pack..let's swing for the fences please.

Guest Walter

Stan: "Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah..." http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/5/21/4351200/stan-van-gundy-nba-return-atlanta-hawks (via David Baumann, Orlando sports radio 1080 The Team, @DavidBaumann33): ~lw3

I have a feeling there is an all in or none in mentality. We know svg talks to DH regularly. If DH and Paul are willing to comment here, perhaps conditionally so, I think it would be hard for any coach to turn down. What does he have to gain by saying yes to coaching now? A lower salary? An uncertain if not gutted roster? Just sit back but let one or two gms with interesting roster potential privately know that you'll take their call. The hawks meanwhile can wait. They don't even have to knee jerk sign a coach. Their candidates are still in the playoffs, overseas, out of coaching. No rush here and it's a good thing given whether we rebuild or sigh superstars changes who we may want and who wants to come here. A lot of time to come. No rush. I believe whatever does happen with dh, cp, and svg, it could be an all in or all out mentality. W