• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that these teams with true centers are getting better, the Heat is cooling

NBASupes

In that same season, they were in their 1st season with Thibs and had gone from an 8th seed, to 1st. They went from a young and promising team to tops in the East. I'm sure you can quantify it with a number of stats to improved defensive efficiency (they did actually best their 2011 numbers, holding teams to less than 90ppg in 2012) and improved play... You can also probably attach a psychological factor to suddenly being in in the spotlight... Call it figuring a team out, but for whatever reasons, teams get over the "hump." The squad you play one year is not always the same as the next. It happens...as Miami may find out with the Pacers this year.

What I'm looking at though...is that the Bulls, Celtics, and Pacers (jumping from 10th to 2nd this year in PPG allowed) play a similar style on the defensive end. If you're going to beat Miami, this is the kind of game you MUST have because you're not going to simply outgun them. The Heat will struggle when you slow the game down and get physical with them. Chicago is one of the better teams that I have seen doing that and a 2nd year to absorb that system may have made the difference. I'm not going to waste much time going round about on it, because it's all hypothetical at this point. We'll see next year if Rose returns to form.

Well sure, if you're basing the conversation on one player being your entire strategy for winning. That would not be the case with the Bulls, because while Rose is their offensive identity, they compliment that with trademark very stingy defense on the other end. I'd also be inclined to agree if we're talking about an inefficient volume scorer (which I'm not); but your assumption - that he can shoot it, he is supposed to shoot it, and he will shoot it, and if he does this often he will likely miss when it counts - is just as subjective as mine.

...with the difference being those are the kinds of players that are highly coveted, built around, and very rarely parted with. These players are the engines in the teams that make the ECF's and Finals - a place that, again and not coincidentally, we have never been.

The Hawks have never been there because they have never focused on building a complete team. They have almost always focused their energy on one player, whether that is Dominique Wilkins or Joe Johnson.

The only time I can remember that they focused on team play is when Lenny Wilkens was the head coach, and the thing that bit the Hawks in the rear end on his teams was the lack of depth.

• Premium Member

The Hawks have never been there because they have never focused on building a complete team. They have almost always focused their energy on one player, whether that is Dominique Wilkins or Joe Johnson.

The only time I can remember that they focused on team play is when Lenny Wilkens was the head coach, and the thing that bit the Hawks in the rear end on his teams was the lack of depth.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this... I just don't see our history that way at all.

Nique's Hawks fell short not due to a lack of team play, but for facing some legendary competition. As well, a lack of depth didn't stop the team that followed, as much as better teams were in the way. Even if we had the depth, Lenny was notorious for running a laughably tight rotation. He also did not like "stars." He and Babcock built a good under-powered team and mortgaged draft picks trying to fine tune it.

The era we just left was plagued by three things: leaning on a player who was AT BEST suited for a 2nd option, a coach with no offensive gameplan other than "play ball", and a refusal by management to change and adapt (WLOC). For those who want to blame Josh, I would only add that those three things only enabled him to become the ridiculous character that he is today.

• Like 2

As long as they are allowed to get away with crap like this it doesnt matter if the heat don't have a true center.

This is a flagrant when you play for the Heat. On any other team this is a 1 game suspension.

Posted this in the 'Around the NBA' forums: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22307131/no-suspension-for-heats-dwyane-wade

SMH

Wonder what would happen if it was Wade the one being hit?

Edited by AHawks89

I don't agree with the Joe comment. We did try to build a team. We were just missing the most important piece in the Joe era which was a superstar. As for Nique era, we just didn't have enough talent. It was simple as that.

Edited by Leadership

the Heat are on fire tonight. Dictating tempo.

They have Lebron and the Pacers have no superstars. The Pacers will lose the series, simple as that. San Antonio will beat Miami though. Splitter makes the world of difference as well as Harden no longer being on the Thunder.

Basically, all those 16-23 foot jumpers that Josh takes are shots taken away from players who will probably shoot a higher percentage shot. What's maddening is that Josh had the third highest FG% on shots at the rim, and he only shot 5.9 of those per 40 minutes. He shot 7.4 shots per 40 minutes on 16-23 footers and three point shots combined.

Its not maddening KB, its a fact now. Josh lacks the skills to get close to the rim on a consistent basis. He chucks because he is undisciplined and will not accept the fact he should be passing the ball instead of shooting the ball.

Here is the maddening part, Josh will not accept for the good of his team that his biggest weakness is his 1/2 court game.

• Premium Member

We did have an MVP candidate in the last 30 years - Nique!

He was #2 in MVP votes in 1986.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1986.html#mvp

He was top 5 three times and top 10 five times.

lol I stand corrected on that! As much as I have defended him, attributed our only postseason of relevance to him, and as much as I've used him as the example of a franchise "engine" that we need...I should have known better.

Good catch dude. I have learnt'ed something new today. :)

This is a big man's game. You have to have a legit big to win in this league. That's the reason why CP3 can never get pass the 2nd round. Look at the Heat, their center is Bosh. They lost to Dallas. They are in a series of the life v. Indy which they will probably win. They will lose to San Antonio or Memphis. Wade is flabby Posted Image and it's likely over for the Heat with Indy getting better. Atlanta NEEDS to land CP3 and Dwight. Would be the best 1-2-3 punch with a bunch of shooters around them as well. Atlanta has the right pieces to win around our supporting players. We just need a couple superstars to close it out.

That photo looks like a black Kim Jong Il.