• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC: With Budenholzer, Hawk 'get the basketball right'

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Ask Danny Ferry about his plans to rebuild the Atlanta Hawks, and he'll speak one sentence three times in the course of a 10-minute conversation: "We want to get the basketball right."

Not the extraneous stuff -- the marketing, the ticket-selling, the merchandise-peddling. Just the basketball. Get the basketball right and the rest will follow. Get the basketball right and nobody around the NBA -- from prospective free agents to Charles Barkley on TNT -- will be laughing at the Atlanta Hawks anymore.

By hiring Mike Budenholzer as coach, Ferry and the Hawks have taken a major step toward credibility. Over the past 15 years, which franchise has most consistently gotten the basketball right? The San Antonio Spurs, where Ferry played and worked. Where has Budenholzer been working as a lead assistant and de facto coach-in-waiting? With the San Antonio Spurs.

He'll be introduced Wednesday at Philips Arena as the Hawks' new coach, and then he'll work with the Spurs through the NBA finals. Generally speaking, it's a good sign if you hire a coach away from a team that is playing for championships.

(Yes, the Hawks did something similar with Mike Woodson in 2004, but I would argue that they got their money's worth from that hire: Woodson took the Hawks from 69 losses to 53 wins in the span of six seasons without benefit of a superstar. The guy who succeeded Woodson -- Larry Drew, whom Ferry opted not to return -- never won 50 games.)

I've never met Mike Budenholzer, but I like this hire a lot. He worked under the best general manager (R.C. Buford) and the best coach (Gregg Popovich) in the business. If he was good enough for them, he'll be great for the Hawks. Ferry got this part of the basketball right. Now for free agency.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/mark-bradley/2013/may/28/budenholzer-hawks-get-basketball-right/

• Like 3

I like this pick. If we have to rebuild, at least we have a good PF and a solid PG going forward. I just have a feeling that he will be the coach thats gets the most out of this team. We have a lot of flexibility with who we can sign and I don't think Ferry is going to spend money recklessly. The Hawks could build a team right this time. If we could hit on one of our mid first picks and get somebody on the wing that can play defense and shoot the 3, we could be right back in the playoffs.

Based on Paul's desire to play for an African American coach, this just clarified our plan a bit. No CP3.

Is this true? That's insane to me in this day and age. What would happen if a white player publicly stated he preferred white coaches? Baffling.

Is this true? That's insane to me in this day and age. What would happen if a white player publicly stated he preferred white coaches? Baffling.

Well it's from a NY rag as Lethal pointed out so we should take that with a grain of salt but if true it's very sad.

Well it's from a NY rag as Lethal pointed out so we should take that with a grain of salt but if true it's very sad.
Well if not true, that writer should be immediately fired. That is not the type of rumor that should be taken lightly. I'm sure CP3 would be pissed (if untrue).

I don't believe he said this I don't care what rumors say until I hear Paul publicly address it. Why would a superstar point guard say this to the media and mess up his name more importantly what if Phil Jackson said he wanted to coach the clippers? Paul is going to say no we need a black coach?!I just don't believe it....I can't....Paul isn't that dumb....I hope
  • Like 1

Based on Paul's desire to play for an African American coach, this just clarified our plan a bit. No CP3.

If that is his #1 priority in choosing a team, then I am so glad that we will have no part of that.

• Like 2