• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How will the hiring of Budenholzer effect the Hawks Draft & Free Agency?

PaceRam

Not saying I don't like him, he just hasn't proved a thing at this point as a head coach. I'm saying this hire was not for competing for championships in the near future, it's rebuilding mode.SVG, JVG, and other top tier coaches that can be had. You gotta spend the money to play in this game. See the Spurs got lucky in the draft with a couple number 1 picks named Robinson and Duncan, if not for that they would never be in a conversation. The hawks present day don't have the luck of the first pick in a draft to get two hall of fame players.

I will never understand why some think JVG is a top tier coach, much less one that is worth pursuing considering that he has been out of coaching for quite a while now. He's the Jon Gruden of NBA candidates.

SVG, I can see. He's in tune with today's basketball. JVG, he's a coach that is caught in the ideas of the past, IMO.

I also don't see many so called top tier coaches available with head coaching experience. Nate McMillan? Maurice Cheeks?

SVG is not interested in coaching this season, and he may not be interested in returning to coaching at all. Phil Jackson is more interested in running the basketball operations, which defeats the purpose of Danny Ferry. Plus, Phil is the ultimate win with great players coach.

Make no mistake about it. This hiring is not about trying to win the press conference, even though Budenholzer is a guy who has been wanted by several teams in the past for jobs that he has turned down. This hiring is about establishing a culture in Atlanta. One that is similar to the culture that has been established in San Antonio. Yes, that was built around two HOF players, but those guys were HOF players early in their careers. The success of the Spurs has been sustained even when said player's skills have eroded and they are no longer the focal point of the team. The reason for that success is that they have a group of players that put the team first and their individual accomplishments down the list. Tim Duncan is a HOF player, but when the Spurs decided to move the focus of their offense from Tim to Tony Parker, you didn't see Tim act like a petulant child. He did what was best for the team and accepted a secondary role on offense, and it has likely extended his career. David Robinson didn't act like a child when Tim Duncan was drafted and took the spotlight away from him.

The scouting and player development this team does is also part of this culture. Let's look at how this team was built: Yes, Tim Duncan was the #1 overall pick. The Spurs did luck out to get him. However, Manu Ginobli was the 57th overall pick in the draft in 1999. Tony Parker was the 28th pick in the 2001 draft. Tiago Splitter was the 28th pick. Leandro Barbosa was the 28th pick. George Hill was the 26th pick. DeJuan Blair was the 37th pick. They flipped George Hill into the pick that landed them Kawhi Leonard. This is an organization that has consistently drafted well. They have consistently avoided overpaying for overpriced free agents. They are an organization that has sustained success over the long haul.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Instead of throwing stones at DF and Bud name who would have been a better hired who was interested in the job ?

If you think pointing out reality is throwing stones, then so be it. I am sick of rebuilding, and we are not getting any free agent stars. So, if you are ok with a rebuild of 5 years, then I guess your satisfied, I'm not.
  • Like 1

If you look at the types of players SA has had throughout the years under Pop, it is very easy to pinpoint what style player they like: PG -- They like point guards that can penetrate and hit the open jumper (Avery Johnson/Tony Parker)SG -- They like twos that can shoot from the perimeter and attack the lane (Mario Elie/Manu Ginobli)SF -- They like small forwards that can hit the three point shot and defend (Robert Horry/Sean Elliot/Bruce Bowen/Kawhi Leonard)PF -- They like power forwards that can space the floor as well as score in the post (Tim Duncan/Malik Rose)C -- They like centers that can score in the post and protect the rim (David Robinson/Tim Duncan/Tiago Splitter) The three point shot is emphasized. Pop actually took a lot of his offensive style from Mike D'Antoni. The one thing that has changed is that they have gone from an inside/outside slow paced offense to one that is more pick and roll oriented.

Which (if any) of the Hawks Free Agents (Korver, Pachulia, Harris, Johnson, etc) do you think Ferry and Budenholzer might be interested in trying to re-sign for next season?

If you think pointing out reality is throwing stones, then so be it. I am sick of rebuilding, and we are not getting any free agent stars. So, if you are ok with a rebuild of 5 years, then I guess your satisfied, I'm not.

so if as you say we are not getting any free agent stars - what's the alternative - pack up shop and not play or rebuild the team? Edited by JayBirdHawk

Not saying I don't like him, he just hasn't proved a thing at this point as a head coach. I'm saying this hire was not for competing for championships in the near future, it's rebuilding mode.

SVG, JVG, and other top tier coaches that can be had. You gotta spend the money to play in this game. See the Spurs got lucky in the draft with a couple number 1 picks named Robinson and Duncan, if not for that they would never be in a conversation. The hawks present day don't have the luck of the first pick in a draft to get quote ends

SVG has said he has no interest on coaching next season. He doesn't want to be Byron Scott 2.0. What other top tier coach wants the Hawks job ? You seem to make stuff up in your head.

Sure the Spurs for lucky with two #1 picks 9 years apart and also drafted wisely with getting Parker, Ginobli, Splitter, and G. Hill late in the draft. At the same time their organization was run well with many smart decisions and was coached extremely well with team oriented approach.

The Hawks have cap space to attract talent and two 1st round picks to choose talent. There is more hope now then there was with JJ leading the way. We have Ferry to thanks for that. I look forward to this draft and free agency more then ever before. The year we had the # 3 & 11 picks was fun but this year could be much better.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Listen I hope he does well, I'm a Hawks fan BUT we have cap space to land the big free agents to Atlanta. Maybe Ferry knows we cannot get any of those top tier players and went with a coach who he thinks can be a builder of this team in the future. I'm just saying I'm not excited about another 5 year rebuilding job. I think this was a great opportunity in the offseason to make a splash and put the Hawks on the map and get some long overdue excitement this town so craves.Guess I was wrong.

KB I find it ironic that you talk about JVG being out of coaching for a long time and yet you've made no secret in the past of your desire to hire the inferior Fratello who has also been out of coaching for a long time.

Listen I hope he does well, I'm a Hawks fan BUT we have cap space to land the big free agents to Atlanta. Maybe Ferry knows we cannot get any of those top tier players and went with a coach who he thinks can be a builder of this team in the future. I'm just saying I'm not excited about another 5 year rebuilding job. I think this was a great opportunity in the offseason to make a splash and put the Hawks on the map and get some long overdue excitement this town so craves.Guess I was wrong.

What coach would you have hired?

Which (if any) of the Hawks Free Agents (Korver, Pachulia, Harris, Johnson, etc) do you think Ferry and Budenholzer might be interested in trying to re-sign for next season?

I think that some of this remains the same. Korver, Yes. Pachulia, Maybe - depending on cost. Harris, Maybe. Ivan, Maybe.As for Free Agents?If the dream scenario fails, then I see us targeting Centers in this order:PekovicSplitterJeffersonPek would be perfect next to Al in a theoretical Spurs-like offense but will Minny match and how much will it cost? Splitter already fits in nicely next to Duncan and Jefferson although not the defensive presence one would want, he's a smart offensive player.As for Draft?I think a Wing that can shoot and defend is likely at 17/18 (along with the back up big, everyone predicting Plumlee right now) whether that's a SG or SF don't know. But we need someone out there.

Definitely Korver, he just fits the mold.

I could see Teague, Harris, Zaza, Tolly. Maybe Johnson.

One thing this news made me a little bit more sure of: JBrick is almost certainly a goner. Somebody earlier in the thread said that if he's anything like Pop, he won't tolerate boneheads. So unless there's some kind of craziness that happens, Smoove is out. He's looking for people who know their role; if you get away from that, then you ride the bench. I think he's probably seen enough tape of Smoove to just part ways. My two cents.

What realistic hire could guarantee the stars to come here?

Without Tim Duncan, the Spurs way doesn't work. Like in the NFL, you need a franchise QB, in the NBA you need a legit franchise player. Yes Horford could be that but ONLY with a pick and roll PG which we lack. Our best passer is Josh Smith, that's a major problem. If we do not land CP3 and Dwight, this team needs to blow it up. Just does not have the talent or the overall pieces to win even a playoff series otherwise.

Tony Parker is a great decision making who has leadership skills as well. Avery Johnson was one of the smartest PG's I've seen in the NBA with Bibby, CP3, and Rondo. We don't have nothing like that on this roster. We just have a misused Karl Malone and a very good 6th man in Lou and two Spurs way rookies in Scott and Jenkins.

What realistic hire could guarantee the stars to come here?

There isn't any. Danny Ferry went with how he felt was the best coach. Mike has great coaching talent but superstar coaching talent with average players is just overachieving when we been overachieving for years but not good enough to do s**t when it matters. I am tired of this. Bud could be our best coach ever but Tom Thibs proved that coaching talent is limited to a degree to the NBA talent you have around you.

Phil Jackson is too old and I didn't think the passion was there went he was in his last year.

JVG is not a great coach. Always was in the same range with Woody.

SVG is a very good coach. Has his flaws but he can coach.

LD is a good coach, smart but is more of an assistant.

We probably made the best hire by a mile but I can see what Vol4ever is talking about. Will this excite Dwight or CP3 and don't name me the other players. None who are available get us any further than we are.

Well...at least the Lottery will be more fun next year...does Budenholzer have a lucky kid?

Seriously though - all the evidence to date with has been pointing to a rebuild (tons of expiring contracts) - I'm OK with that. DF got rid of one of the worst contracts in the NBA, he got rid of an overpaid bust draft pick, soon he will be rid of a talented headcase who can't really be coached or relied on to play smart. He can pick and choose as far as which free agents he wants to make an offer to. He basically has his coach, AL Horford, Jeff Teague and a pretty clean slate.

Hoping for the best - good luck Mr. Ferry !!

(p.s. - and good luck to LD in the future...we will miss your pressers and first minute of the second half timeouts)

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

What coach would you have hired?

So Bud was your first pick? The problem is we maybe cannot get a top tier coach, maybe we could have gotten Sloan but I think he is over the hill. There are two ways to go here.1. Go for the big splash like Miami did, or 2. Rebuild.