• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mookie on life support... [UPDATE: Out of hospital and in custody]

Cthulhu

• Moderators

My cousin has epilepsy and its a serious condition. I would not doubt he had a seizure and wrecked because that's exactly what happened to my cousin. Thank God she was only doing 30 and hit a guard rail. Thoughts go out to the Murphy family and hope Mookie comes out okay.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My cousin has epilepsy and its a serious condition. I would not doubt he had a seizure and wrecked because that's exactly what happened to my cousin. Thank God she was only doing 30 and hit a guard rail. Thoughts go out to the Murphy family and hope Mookie comes out okay.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Mookie has been experiencing seizures, he really should not be driving. So sad that this woman may have paid for it with her life.

• Moderators

With or without adequate seizure medication, no one should be driving with a suspended license.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=13403#ixzz2V5s1l238

Police say former NBA star Mookie Blaylock remains hospitalized and faces two charges after a fatal crash in suburban Atlanta.

Jonesboro Police Chief Franklin Allen said Sunday that the 46-year-old Blaylock is charged with driving on a suspended license and failing to stay in his lane.

Allen says officers haven’t been able to talk with Blaylock yet because of injuries suffered in the wreck, but they hope to do so as early as Monday.

Reported by the Associated Press

~lw3

Maybe they are waiting to see if he makes it, or is in any shape for a trial (we don't know the extent of the injuries) before making more serious charges. They don't think alcohol was involved, but as someone point out, driving with the possibility of seizures could lead to worse charges. Not sure that's illegal, though. Friend of mine is a lawyer and he had a seizure once -said he was epileptic. Was afraid to drive for quite a while, but eventually started driving again.

• Moderators

Usually when you have a seizure you can't drive for six months after. Of course his license was suspended but i think that was the DUI. Honestly, i have no information but I'm just feeling like this was a cell phone/texting thing.

Mookie is one of my all time favorite Hawks. This may just be a tragic accident but I can't understand a dui/drug charge and then failure to appear. I feel for the man in the other car.

• Moderators

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V action...

Driver's License

A person with epilepsy may obtain a license to drive cars and trucks weighing less than 26,000 pounds if he or she has been seizure-free for 6 months. [GA. COMP. R. & REGS. r. § 375-3-5-.02(2)© (2010); GA. CODE ANN. § 40-5-35(a) (2010)]. A person who has only nocturnal seizures may be eligible for a limited license (e.g., daylight driving only) even if he or she has been seizure-free for less than 6 months. [§ 375-3-5-.02(2)©]. The Department of Driver Services may require periodic medical reports as a condition of licensing. [§ 375-3-5-.10]. The medical information submitted is initially reviewed by a member of the Driver’s License Review Board. [§ 375-3-5-.10 (2)]. If there is a question whether to issue a license, the information is reviewed by the Driver's License Advisory Board.

Not sure if the nocturnal seizure part applies to Mookie at all.

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/resources/Driving-Laws-by-State.cfm

~lw3

• Moderators

Two words I was hesitant to say until I saw it in print. The whole situation sucks for everyone involved (obviously, the victims first and foremost). The state solicitor said in the article that the usual sentence for guilty offenders is a year in jail plus probation. But I'm not worried that Mookie will have decent legal representation.

~lw3

If they're charging him with vehicular homicide, that means he was probably drunk. smh

Sorry but not only are you jumping to conclusions but if they are charging him with 2nd degree then you're flat out wrong. 2nd degree is a misdemeanor offense and does not include vehicular manslaughter due to drugs or alcohol use, which would be 1st degree. It's late and I'm mobile so only showing the first thing I found but here you go...

http://www.topgun-lawyer.com/veh_homicide.htm Vehicular homicide, which is called "homicide by vehicle" in Georgia, is the unlawful killing of another with the use of a vehicle. Neither malice aforethought nor intent to kill is required. Georgias homicide by vehicle statute provides for a wide range of punishment, depending on the circumstances in which the offense is committed. First degree homicide by vehicle is a felony. A homicide by vehicle is classified as first degree if the driver: (1) unlawfully met or overtook a school bus;(2) unlawfully failed to stop after a collision;(3) was driving recklessly;(4) was driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs;(5) failed to stop for, or otherwise was attempting to flee from a law enforcement officer, or(6) had previously been declared a habitual violator. First degree vehicular homicide is punishable by 3 to 15 years of imprisonment. If the accused had previously been declared a habitual violator, the range of punishment is five to twenty years, and at least one year of the sentence must be served. Second degree vehicular homicide encompasses all vehicular homicides without intent to kill that involve any other violations of the laws governing the operation of motor vehicles. For example, a death resulting from a failure to yield to oncoming traffic, speeding, or driving too slowly, unless such constituted reckless driving, could be charged as a homicide by vehicle in the second degree. Second degree vehicular homicide is a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment or other confinement for up to 1 year, a fine of up to $1,000.00, or both. However, at the judges discretion, punishment may be suspended or a probation sentence may be received. Regardless of its degree, vehicular homicide is a serious crime with serious consequences for the accused. If you have a vehicular homicide charge pending against you, you need an attorney who will bring in the best accident reconstruction experts, automotive engineers, and forensic toxicologists to serve on your team. Remember, sound legal advice can make a difference in your case.

Sorry but not only are you jumping to conclusions but if they are charging him with 2nd degree then you're flat out wrong. 2nd degree is a misdemeanor offense and does not include vehicular manslaughter due to drugs or alcohol use, which would be 1st degree.It's late and I'm mobile so only showing the first thing I found but here you go...

If he is convicted, he'll get a slap on the wrist ala Danny Heatley. Celebrities & athletes seldom do real jail time.

If he is convicted, he'll get a slap on the wrist ala Danny Heatley. Celebrities & athletes seldom do real jail time.

He was charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide and he was sentenced to three years' probation and fined $3,000. He also had to pay Fulton County $25,000 for the cost of investigation. The Snyder's were a big influence, they did not want Dany charged with vehicular homicide. Notice, the fine Heatly paid was greater than the minimum from the site that Dolfan linked to. Or in other words, they fined him more than a normal citizen would have been charged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/05/sports/hockey/05heatley.html?ref=dan_snyder&_r=0

He was charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide and he was sentenced to three years' probation and fined $3,000. He also had to pay Fulton County $25,000 for the cost of investigation. The Snyder's were a big influence, they did not want Dany charged with vehicular homicide. Notice, the fine Heatly paid was greater than the minimum from the site that Dolfan linked to. Or in other words, they fined him more than a normal citizen would have been charged.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/05/sports/hockey/05heatley.html?ref=dan_snyder&_r=0

"Heatley pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor charges in exchange for prosecutors dropping charges of first-degree vehicular homicide and reckless driving, which could have meant up to 15 years in prison."

I think the additional fines came from the three additional charges he pleaded guilty to, rather than the fine being three times the normal fine.

Edited by Watchman

I think another difference in the Heatley case was that his friend was with him (or racing him, not sure) at the time of the wreck. Presumably the friend was going along for the joyride. I think that's a bit different from an innocent victim being hit head on.

I think another difference in the Heatley case was that his friend was with him (or racing him, not sure) at the time of the wreck. Presumably the friend was going along for the joyride. I think that's a bit different from an innocent victim being hit head on.

Also he's white and makes over 100k. In the court system, that will buy you some leeway. For Mookie, he is a local celebrity, maybe that helps, maybe it doesn't but someone will not be able to see their wife again so it is really sad.

Please do not take my post for more than it is. It's just the court system, that's all.

Edited by Leadership