Larry Coon: Hawks can get Smoove, D12 and CP3 using bird rights?

Brotha2ThaNite

• Moderators

In terms of cap room, remember that we can pretty easily move our first round picks for future picks if we are interested. From my reading of Coon, I do not think we can free up the cap room by taking a foreign player to stash in Europe, though. The cap charge for a first round pick is applied immediately upon drafting and then it is only removed on the first day of the regular season (or the date the contract overseas is signed, if later).

In terms of cap room, remember that we can pretty easily move our first round picks for future picks if we are interested. From my reading of Coon, I do not think we can free up the cap room by taking a foreign player to stash in Europe, though. The cap charge for a first round pick is applied immediately upon drafting and then it is only removed on the first day of the regular season (or the date the contract overseas is signed, if later).

It's still not a good idea for a team with 3 players under contract to trade draft picks unless we absolutely do not like anyone available at our picks and I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In fact I have a strange feeling that we're trying to move up in the draft to get one of the top 10 players. That would probably help a little with salaries too having 1 higher pick vs 2 mid picks.

If we are going to draft a Euro to stash then it needs to be a 2nd round pick with some potential and production.

• Moderators

It's still not a good idea for a team with 3 players under contract to trade draft picks unless we absolutely do not like anyone available at our picks and I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In fact I have a strange feeling that we're trying to move up in the draft to get one of the top 10 players. That would probably help a little with salaries too having 1 higher pick vs 2 mid picks.

If we are going to draft a Euro to stash then it needs to be a 2nd round pick with some potential and production.

I don't disagree at all. I am just saying if keeping or shedding our first round picks is the difference between Dwight/Paul and looking at Al Jefferson and OJ Mayo - I am trading those firsts for future picks and/or second rounders.

• Like 1

I don't disagree at all. I am just saying if keeping or shedding our first round picks is the difference between Dwight/Paul and looking at Al Jefferson and OJ Mayo - I am trading those firsts for future picks and/or second rounders.

I gotta be honest if Dwight and Paul are that selfish that they'd rather have an even weaker supporting cast than what we'd have with a couple of talented 1st round picks then I'm not sure I'd want them. I mean we are talking about roughly $3 million in salary for both picks so about $1.5 million more money for each of them and having to replace those rookies with vet min contracts for guys who aren't going to get better.

Why would they come to Atlanta will a bare cup. It wouldn't make any sense to join if it's just Dwight, CP3 and Al and NOTHING else. OKC has more, Miami at the moment has more. Indiana is a legit squad. While we would be elite, we would have issues. With a full squad, we can win titles and never have mismatches with teams. That would be more important. If you just wanted money, stay in LA.

I understand the Hawk fan mentality but the Hawk fan needs to realize that just a three players isn't enough. Miami, Indy, OKC, and SAS all have as much if not more to offer. It would take years to build that team when we can built it now. Bron, Wade, and Bosh all took 14.5. I understand some mentality but that mentality will likely keep them from joining if they knew Atlanta is just a desperate franchise who is willing to shed talent to just have three players and scrub city. Who wants to join a desperate franchise?

Edited by Leadership
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I gotta be honest if Dwight and Paul are that selfish that they'd rather have an even weaker supporting cast than what we'd have with a couple of talented 1st round picks then I'm not sure I'd want them. I mean we are talking about roughly $3 million in salary for both picks so about $1.5 million more money for each of them and having to replace those rookies with vet min contracts for guys who aren't going to get better.

They could be looking forward to an extra 7M over the life of the contract and 3 first round picks joining the team next season but I hear you and would certainly prefer to keep the picks for this season.

They could be looking forward to an extra 7M over the life of the contract and 3 first round picks joining the team next season but I hear you and would certainly prefer to keep the picks for this season.

7 million isn't chump change but its negligible when these guys will make 200 million in contracts alone in their careers. If I'm them I want to get some young talent that can develop ASAP to help us win and keep team chemistry going between years with kids vs annually swapping out vet min contracts. Plus if we trade 1sts to teams for next year who knows if those picks will be as good as this years and what the talent level will be in those areas vs this year.

Exactly.

I mean, this is a franchise destiny changing move, if we were to land Howard and Paul. So I'm doing everything possible to bring those two in. None of the guys in the middle of 1st round are projected to be stars. Even the former possible #1 pick, Shabazz Muhammad, is freefalling so fast, that he may even fall out of the 1st round altogether. This time last year, he was dang near the consensus #1 player.

So ima sacrifice the chance to get Paul and Howard, simply because I don't want to pay them however much money I can to secure that they'll come together? Sacrifice them, because I value 2 mid 1st round draft picks, and a good, but undersized 2 guard?

Nah.

Hell nah.

Exactly.

I mean, this is a franchise destiny changing move, if we were to land Howard and Paul. So I'm doing everything possible to bring those two in. None of the guys in the middle of 1st round are projected to be stars. Even the former possible #1 pick, Shabazz Muhammad, is freefalling so fast, that he may even fall out of the 1st round altogether. This time last year, he was dang near the consensus #1 player.

So ima sacrifice the chance to get Paul and Howard, simply because I don't want to pay them however much money I can to secure that they'll come together? Sacrifice them, because I value 2 mid 1st round draft picks, and a good, but undersized 2 guard?

Nah.

Hell nah.

Well you do the dumb move of building a team around a couple of guys who are so selfish that they'd rather sacrifice the team to get a couple extra million dollars on this contract knowing full well that they are both going to earn close to or more than 200 million in salary alone in their careers. Yeah sign me up for that!

Thankfully Ferry won't be that foolish to sacrifice the team for the bank account of a couple of multi multi multi millionaires.

• Like 1

Exactly.

Nah.

Hell nah.

If CP3 and Dwight #1 goal is to win a championship. If the Hawks did what you are saying they should do, CP3 and Dwight would do better to take 8 mil a piece and go to Dallas then.

Posted Image

Edited by Leadership