• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA Finals!

Chinky_eyed_hawk

• Moderators

A Tale of Two Dannys

February 23, 2005: Danny Green, a University of North Carolina (UNC) signee, named a McDonald's High School All-American.

June 27, 2005: Duke University alumnus Danny Ferry signs a 5-year contract to become General Manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Ferry spent the previous two seasons as Director of Basketball Operations for the San Antonio Spurs.

February 21, 2008: Danny Ferry acquires a 2nd round draft pick in a three-team deal. The Cavaliers trade away Shannon Brown, Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Cedric Simmons, Donyell Marshall, and Ira Newble, acquiring Joe Smith, Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West along with the draft pick. Wallace and West become starters alongside young superstar LeBron James.

April 6, 2009: Danny Green wins an NCAA Basketball Championship with the UNC Tar Heels. He exits UNC leading players all-time in games played and wins and as the only Atlantic Coast Conference player with at least 1000 points, 500 rebounds, 250 assists, 150 three-pointers, 150 blocks and 150 steals. He also earned a spot on the ACC All-Defensive Team.

June 25, 2009: Danny Green is drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2nd round (46th pick) of the 2009 NBA Draft, the only one of four drafted UNC players not taken in the first round (Tyler Hansbrough, Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington).

September 29, 2009: "Danny (Green) can be a good NBA player," Danny Ferry said. "The work is ahead of him to establish himself in making that happen, but he's a good shooter. He's a smart basketball player... He's a guy that gets his hands on deflections and loose balls. Those are things he showed at (North) Carolina that were interesting to us and now the work is for him is to show that it translates to this level."

February 4, 2010: Danny Green is briefly assigned by the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Erie Bayhawks of the NBA Developmental League (D-League).

April 11, 2010: Danny Green appears briefly in his final regular season game. He does not appear for the Cavs in the 2010 NBA Playoffs, LeBron James' final season with Cleveland.

June 4, 2010: Danny Ferry announces he is resigning from the Cavaliers and will not seek a new contract.

August 26, 2010: Danny Ferry is named Vice President of Basketball Operations by the San Antonio Spurs.

October 19, 2010: Danny Green is waived by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

November 17, 2010: Danny Green signs as a free agent with the San Antonio Spurs.

November 23, 2010: Danny Green is waived by the San Antonio Spurs.

January 25, 2011: Danny Green is claimed by the NBA D-League's Sioux Falls Skyforce and traded to the Reno Bighorns for Patrick Ewing, Jr.

March 16, 2011: Danny Green is called-up by the San Antonio Spurs and signs a contract for the rest of the season.

April 2, 2011: Danny Green is briefly assigned by the San Antonio Spurs to the Austin Toros of the D-League, coached by Quin Snyder.

April 6, 2011: Danny Green re-joins the San Antonio Spurs roster, scoring a career-high 13 points (3-of-6 on three-pointers) in the season finale. He plays sparingly in the 2011 NBA Playoffs as the Spurs are upset in the first round.

February 8, 2012: Danny Green becomes a full-time starter with the San Antonio Spurs, shooting 0-for-5 in his starter debut. He shot 0-for-8 in the game before being named a starter.

April 26, 2012: Danny Green finishes the 2011-12 season ranked 9th in Three-Point Field Goal Percentage. He shot 46.3% on both two-point and three-point shots once he was moved into the starting lineup.

May 2, 2012: Danny Green hits 3-of-5 three-point shots and adds three blocks in just his second postseason start, as the San Antonio Spurs blow out the Utah Jazz.

May 20, 2012: Danny Green hits three of five three-point shots and adds 6 defensive rebounds (one less than game-leader Tim Duncan) in a three-point victory to close out the Spurs-Clippers playoff series (4-0) in Los Angeles.

June 25, 2012: Danny Ferry leaves the San Antonio Spurs to become the General Manager for the Atlanta Hawks.

July 9, 2012: Danny Green agrees to a 3-year, $12 million fully-guaranteed contract with the San Antonio Spurs.

April 17, 2013: Danny Green finishes the 2012-13 season ranked 7th in three-point field goal percentage and 10th all-time in Career three-point field goal percentage (4th among active NBA players, ahead of 2012 Atlanta Hawks acquisitions Anthony Morrow and Kyle Korver). 9th among active NBA players in Career three-point percentage is another Danny, Daniel Gibson, selected by Danny Ferry's Cavaliers in the second round (42nd pick) of the 2006 NBA Draft.

May 6, 2013: Danny Green, in Game 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Golden State Warriors, hits a three-point basket with 20 seconds to play, closing a 16-2 run by the San Antonio Spurs to tie the game in regulation. Green shot 6-for-9 from three-point range, and added 3 steals and 2 blocks to his 22 points in a wild double-overtime victory.

June 11, 2013: Danny Green takes the lead in the 2013 NBA Playoffs in total three-Point field goals, shooting 7-for-9 on threes in the NBA Finals against LeBron James and the Miami HEAT on his way to a postseason-career-high 27-points and a 36-point Spurs victory. His 16 three-pointers made (off of just 23 shots) through three NBA Finals games are the most made over any three-game span by any player in NBA Finals history.

June 22, 2013: Danny Green turns 26 years old.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 4

• Moderators

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2013/jun/03/full-q-and-gregg-popovich-mike-budenholzer/

I think the last question, as I’m thinking about this, if you want a real specific on his importance, as I said there is not one event, somebody’s importance develops over time, your owners asked me a question – what is one example of something that is really significant that affect the team that would be the George Hill-Kawhi Leonard trade. Bud was all over me for that one. I didn’t want to do it because George Hill was one of my favorite players all-time. I had a real special relationship with that kid. To this day, we still work together on a couple of community things in San Antonio and Indianapolis. I did not want to do it but Bud was the driving force behind it. He was hammering myself and R.C. because we need a 3, we need a bigger 3. George Hill would have continued to play behind Tony Parker probably, in all logic I assume that would have been true. With Manu (Ginoboli) at the 2, George wasn’t going to get all the minutes he deserved. With a need at the 3 so Manu wouldn’t have to play the position, or Danny Green, we thought this would make some sense. I remember right up until draft night, I’m sitting up there with Peter Holt, our owner, and Bud is (down) there hammering on R.C. and looking up at me. They are looking up, at me and I’m thinking “I don’t want to do this. Jesus I don’t want to do this.’ He made me pull the trigger and it’s been a great trade for both teams. That was something very specific that he had his hand in.

~lw3

Indy got a serviceable PG for the season, but did nothing in the Conf. Finals agaisnt the Heat but hit half his threes and struggle mightily to bring the ball up versus the Heat backcourt pressure. San An got a Finals LeBron Stopper. Advantage Spurs. I don't know how they do it. They win 66 games and draft a starting all-purpose forward. When Pop retires he's gonna be President here and bring RC as our lead scout and we begin our reign by ravaging every draft of its best values mid-first round, late first, and second. Watch. Edited by benhillboy

Indy got a serviceable PG for the season, but did nothing in the Conf. Finals agaisnt the Heat but hit half his threes and struggle mightily to bring the ball up versus the Heat backcourt pressure. San An got a Finals LeBron Stopper. Advantage Spurs. I don't know how they do it. They win 66 games and draft a starting all-purpose forward. When Pop retires he's gonna be President here and bring RC as our lead scout and we begin our reign by ravaging every draft of its best values mid-first round, late first, and second. Watch.

They are able to do this because they don't go into the scouting and player evaluation aspect blindly. They have certain qualities that they look for in every player, and they don't select players that do not have those qualities.

They also use a "moneyball" approach, which is what I've been advocating for the Hawks for the past couple of years now. Moneyball is all about finding value.

So, they have certain intangible characteristics that they look for, certain things they look for on the court that tell them if the player has those intangibles.

Team basketball > The LeBron and Wade Show

Oh, and a huge congrats to Danny Green on his history making Finals appearance so far. Set the NBA Finals record for three pointers made.

Oh, what was the name of that guy that drafted Danny Green in the second round. I think it is a familiar name. Oh, what was it......Danny......Ferry?

• Like 2

• Moderators

Where's Mike Brown these days?

~lw3

• Moderators

I really hope SA takes one in Miami to close this out. Lebron and Co. are good enough to still win the series and that would be a bitter end to the season for me as a fan. Go Spurs!

• Like 1

I really hope SA takes one in Miami to close this out. Lebron and Co. are good enough to still win the series and that would be a bitter end to the season for me as a fan. Go Spurs!

Where else could they take one to close the series out? :ahf2:

• Moderators

Where else could they take one to close the series out? Posted Image

That is the only place it could happen, obviously, but it isn't guaranteed to happen, and I would hate to see Miami come back and win this series. The fact that both games are in Miami increases the odds that the Heat can pull off the comeback.

That is the only place it could happen, obviously, but it isn't guaranteed to happen, and I would hate to see Miami come back and win this series. The fact that both games are in Miami increases the odds that the Heat can pull off the comeback.

Oh I definitely agree with you, I was just being a smartass as usual. I would freaking hate it if Miami were to come back and win this one, but I honestly can't see the Spurs losing 2 in a row to anyone at this point.

Is it possible for a coach to get Finals MVP? I expect exceptional coaching from Pop at all times, but damn. His imaginative moves and counters have been even beyond his legendary standard. They actually want dribble hand offs to Green 3 feet behind the arc. They want Boris and his Tits on LeBron. Go ahead, start a guy in Game 5 of the Finals who hasnt started all season. WTF. I haven't read a book in forever, but if he were to write a real, candid account of his basketball life I'll cop that sh@t the first day out and finish it.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Is it possible for a coach to get Finals MVP? I expect exceptional coaching from Pop at all times, but damn. His imaginative moves and counters have been even beyond his legendary standard. They actually want dribble hand offs to Green 3 feet behind the arc. They want Boris and his Tits on LeBron. Go ahead, start a guy in Game 5 of the Finals who hasnt started all season. WTF. I haven't read a book in forever, but if he were to write a real, candid account of his basketball life I'll cop that sh@t the first day out and finish it.

Is it possible for a co-head coach to get co-Finals MVP?

• Like 2