• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks hire Snyder as assistant

Jody23

Interesting tidbits on Snyder:

- Snyder was an assistant coach under Larry Brown for the Clippers in the early 90's. (Back when Brown lead them to the playoffs in back to back seasons)

- After Brown left LA for Indiana........Snyder went back to Duke to be an assistant coach for Coach K (which we all know). What we all don't know is that he earned his Law Degree from Duke in 1995. You have to be a smart cookie to get into Duke's Law School and earn your Juris Doctor.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Admin

If any of the last group of assistants are kept I hope its Bender. He seemed the most intelligent and most well spoken of the prior assistants when doing live interviews.

Too bad Fizdale left for Miami when Woody left.

I have a feeling it will be a complete clean house of the coaching staff.

• Like 2

Interesting tidbits on Snyder: - Snyder was an assistant coach under Larry Brown for the Clippers in the early 90's. (Back when Brown lead them to the playoffs in back to back seasons) - After Brown left LA for Indiana........Snyder went back to Duke to be an assistant coach for Coach K (which we all know). What we all don't know is that he earned his Law Degree from Duke in 1995. You have to be a smart cookie to get into Duke's Law School and earn your Juris Doctor.

Or you could always pay them! LMAO!!!!

• Premium Member

From Hawks.com...HAWKS NAME QUIN SNYDER ASSISTANT COACH ATLANTA --The Atlanta Hawks have named Quin Snyder as Assistant Coach, Hawks Head Coach Mike Budenholzer announced today. Snyder joins Atlanta from CSKA Moscow, where he spent last season as an assistant coach.Quin is an excellent addition to our staff. He has a very strong knowledge of the system that we will implement and his extensive experience will enhance the development and knowledge of our players, Budenholzer said.Prior to his stint in Russia, Snyder worked as an Assistant Coach for the Los Angeles Lakers (2011-12) and Philadelphia 76ers (2010-11). From 2007-10, Snyder was Head Coach of the Austin Toros (the NBA Development League affiliate of the San Antonio Spurs), recording a 94-56 (.627) mark, while leading the Toros to three straight playoff appearances and the 2008 NBDL championship game. He was the 2008-09 D-League Coach of the Year.I am excited to join Bud's staff with the Hawks, Snyder said. They are creating a system and a culture that I strongly believe in and have seen its success. I look forward to being a part of the organization and contributing to our players' every day improvement.Snyder got his first head coaching job at the University of Missouri, where in seven seasons, he led the Tigers to a 128-96 (.571) record, and four NCAA Tournaments including an Elite Eight appearance. He is also a former assistant with the Los Angeles Clippers and at Duke. The former Duke guard (1985-89) played in 136 games over four years with the Blue Devils, averaging 6.2 points. He is a native of Mercer Island, WA.

• Like 3

Nice hire. I'd imagine his experience coaching in Moscow might give him some first-hand and unique insights into some of these European players this team has traditionally seemed to know (or maybe care?) so little about.

I'm all for it. Welcome to the Hawks, Quin!

• Like 1

He was almost our head coach so it is interesting that he is an assistant

That's what the media thought. Who says Danny wasn't talking to him about being our assistant coach. He could have had talks with Snyder letting him know how he was going to get Bud and he and Bud wanted him too... :-)

Nice hire. I'd imagine his experience coaching in Moscow might give him some first-hand and unique insights into some of these European players this team has traditionally seemed to know (or maybe care?) so little about. I'm all for it. Welcome to the Hawks, Quin!

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NBA draft the Atlanta Hawks select Sergey Karasev!
  • Like 3

Sounds good to me. I liked Quin when we thought he had a shot at the head coaching position. Seems like a charismatic guy with lots of passion. Something we will probably need to balance Bud's pragmatic style.