• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kurt Helin: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard text about teaming up. This will not happen.

GameTime

Phx was going to match Joe. He told them he wanted to come to Atlanta. Now as for Deke, yeah, it was for the cash.

Phoenix was NOT going to match Joe. They just played a hell of a game of Poker with BK and he folded.

Maybe not, Deke still lives here.

It's one thing once you're already there and you set down roots but for guys who aren't from there it clearly hasn't been a draw like playing in NY, Chicago or LA have been.

Phoenix was NOT going to match Joe. They just played a hell of a game of Poker with BK and he folded.

It's one thing once you're already there and you set down roots but for guys who aren't from there it clearly hasn't been a draw like playing in NY, Chicago or LA have been.

Nope, they were going to match. Now did Woody give too much (Diaw, Rondo, R. Lopez) yeah.

I think Atlanta would be a draw if they had a championship desire which they didn't have more many years till they hired Ferry.

Nope, they were going to match. Now did Woody give too much (Diaw, Rondo, R. Lopez) yeah.

I think Atlanta would be a draw if they had a championship desire which they didn't have more many years till they hired Ferry.

They were NOT going to match. This is some seriously fantastic revisionist history here. Either that or you're Billy Knight himself or one of the Spirit Group who were foolish enough to fall for that bluff. Everyone knows that Phoenix took BK out behind the woodshed and used him and even the evil Belkin knew that was going to happen and ended up going to court for years over this because he knew better and wasn't willing to give up those assets because of Phoenix's bluff.

They were NOT going to match. This is some seriously fantastic revisionist history here. Either that or you're Billy Knight himself or one of the Spirit Group who were foolish enough to fall for that bluff. Everyone knows that Phoenix took BK out behind the woodshed and used him and even the evil Belkin knew that was going to happen and ended up going to court for years over this because he knew better and wasn't willing to give up those assets because of Phoenix's bluff.

They took BK to the woodshed but Phx said they were going to match. The issue I remember was that Belkin didn't want to give Joe that money for starters.

They took BK to the woodshed but Phx said they were going to match. The issue I remember was that Belkin didn't want to give Joe that money for starters.

Belkin had no problem with the money, it was the compensation as he was smart enough to know that the Suns were too cheap to match that offer for Joe.

BTW that same Phoenix team that you think would have matched on Joe ended up selling their 1st round pick that turned out to be Rondo. No freaking way their cheapo owner was going to match that deal and everyone knew it.

Phoenix was never going to match. Belkin had no issue with the money for Joe, he had an issue with giving away picks/assets etc-he thought it was too much.

BTW that same Phoenix team that you think would have matched on Joe ended up selling their 1st round pick that turned out to be Rondo. No freaking way their cheapo owner was going to match that deal and everyone knew it.

After maintaining for weeks that it would match any offer sheet Johnson signs, Phoenix chose a new course this weekend, ultimately deciding it was better for team chemistry to pursue a sign-and-trade with Atlanta instead of investing huge sums in a player who wants to leave.

Johnson's increasingly imminent departure is a coup for the desperate Hawks and an undeniable blow to the Suns, who have long considered the versatile swingman no less critical to last season's overwhelming success than any of their three All-Stars: Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Nash. Next to Nash, the league's newly minted MVP, Johnson was the only other dependable playmaker on a 62-win team and shot a deadly 47.8 percent from 3-point range.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2120960

Unless you have secret organization information. I am not sure what you are talking about but I do remember Belkin not liking us trading the assets to land Joe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2120960

Unless you have secret organization information. I am not sure what you are talking about but I do remember Belkin not liking us trading the assets to land Joe.

Quoting an ESPN article that was basically stating Phoenix's bluff at the time doesn't prove anything either way. It was a bluff by Phoenix as their cheap owner who was never in a million years going to pay that big contract to Joe when he was already paying Nash, Marion and Stoudemire.

I remember that Belkin had a problem with money and the picks. He also had issues with offering money to other FA. He was right about the picks. Wrong about the money, we don't get a playoff run without that money being spent.

This is kind of ambiguous and some will see it differently but I believe he's talking about the cost of the deal, not the contract.

The five-year contract the Hawks offered Johnson -- worth about $70 million, including $20 million for the first year -- would have made him the team's highest-paid player. Atlanta would also give Phoenix two first-round picks, second-year guard Boris Diaw and a $4.9 million trade exception.

"Steve Belkin simply thinks that's too much to pay for Joe Johnson," Belkin's lawyer, John Fabiano, told the judge.

Watching Diaw in the playoffs has brought back memories of drafting him and how they wanted him to be a shooting guard?

I thought he was supposed to be the PG? With BK in charge, who knows? BK always acted so secretive like he knew the secrets to the universe and wasn't telling....lol.

We explained the cap to you guys a thousand times. We can renounces the rights to all of our FA's rFA or unrestricted FA.

Al Horford ($12,000,000)

Lou Williams ($5,225,000)

John Jenkins ($1,258,800)

Draft pick #17 ($1,348,200, value for draft pick explained later)

Draft pick #18 ($1,280,800)

Tolly’s caphold ($884,293)

Incomplete roster charge (6x$490,180 = $3,431,260)

+ Mack's 884,293 and Scott's 788,872 - 980,360(2 players)= 692,805 +3,431,260

= 4,124,065

Al Horford ($12,000,000)

Lou Williams ($5,225,000)

John Jenkins ($1,258,800)

Draft pick #17 ($1,348,200, value for draft pick explained later)

Draft pick #18 ($1,280,800)

Tolly’s caphold ($884,293)

Mack 3rd year min salary($884,293)

Scott 788,872 salary

Incomplete roster charge (4x$490,180 = $1,960,720)

Total salary is 25,775,978

[*]We have two mid 2nd round picks which was 450k last year. That could be our 9th and 10th man and it could save us 100k combined.

[*]Incomplete roster charge is only valid without a player. If we sign Howard and CP3, they would be our 9th and 10th man with the picks they would be our 11th and 12th man.

[*]With the estimated cap at 58.5, we would have up to 32.8 in cap space.

[*]We do not have a MLE right now since we are under the cap floor but we would have one if we signed both CP3 and Dwight.

[*]It would be smart if Dwight and CP3 took less to play together. For starters, if they want Korver they would have to take 13.5 million(27 million) in their first year a piece. Korver can sign for 4 million and we could still use our MLE.

[*]Most likely, CP3 and Dwight will sign for 15 mil a piece(30 million) which covers most of our cap and allows us to sign the min level players and a MLE player.

[*]While Houston with some trades could offer Dwight the max and CP3's max. They really couldn't get both players neither can Dallas.

[*]Atlanta at the best will have to ask Dwight and CP3 to take 5 to 3 million dollars less than they can get in LA but give them 3-1 less than they can get elsewhere. Remember, Houston cannot offer Dwight close to what LA can due to the new CBA. Makes us a lot more competitive in this race.

[*]Basically, Atlanta can easily sign D12 and CP3 and the min level players. The issue is Atlanta has to find ways to not sign them and be capped out. They need to get them to take less and buy into team before players, wins before accolades.

[*]The most we can offer CP3 and Dwight combined is 16.4 million dollars a year with their list. Now of course mid 2nd rounders are cheaper than min FA's and we have the option to renounce Tolly's(possible), Scott(Extremely unlikely), and Mack(Not likely but possible) rights.

Update:

Good news: We get a room exception(2.4)!

Bad news: We do not get a MLE or a bi-annual exception till next year.

In order to sign someone like Kyle Korver. We would have to get them to take less like 3.5-4 mil and for Dwight and CP3 to shave a combined 3.5-4 million so we can resign Korver

Meaning instead of 17.4 a piece, it has to be 15.4 a piece.

CP3/Lou/Mack

Jenkins/Draft/FA

Korver/FA/Draft

Horf/Scott/Draft

D12/Draft

We could sign a room exception. Once again, we do not nor will not have a MLE this yr.

Edited by Leadership
  • Like 1

Update: Good news: We get a room exception(2.4)! Bad news: We do not get a MLE or a bi-annual exception till next year. In order to sign someone like Kyle Korver. We would have to get them to take less like 3.5-4 mil and for Dwight and CP3 to shave a combined 3.5-4 million so we can resign Korver Meaning instead of 17.4 a piece, it has to be 15.4 a piece. CP3/Lou/MackJenkins/Draft/FAKorver/FA/DraftHorf/Scott/DraftD12/Draft We could sign a room exception. Once again, we do not nor will not have a MLE this yr.

We will have the MLE once we sign players up to the salary cap. Until that point we will not have the MLE.

No, that's why drafting an international would be a great decision for this year. Because they wouldn't count as a caphold unless they are playing in the NBA this year. Think some of the guys like Surgir Gladyr we have. They are in Europe and may never play in the NBA.

Gladyr is still out there somewhere?

Picks like Gladyr and Akoyl always has me weary of making moves like this. Wait until they are ready for the NBA hasn't worked out well for us in the past. Trading David Andersen to Houston is just now coming to light in this draft. Hell that was 11 years ago. Use the picks to stack the frontline or add depth.

Also I would like to note another factor in the "it worked for Miami" scenario is the quality of free agents that decided to take pay cuts just to sit on the bench for a championship run. Are there enough quality b teams guys out there with the skillsets in the needed positions to make that happen twice? Players in the twilight of their careers? Willing to bet that cp3/Dwight/Al or whoever else is enough to take out the best in the league? CP3/Dwight is a great combo but is it like playing with Bron?

• Premium Member

My numbers are wrong. I didn't subtract 980k from D12 and CP3 min salary spot. So they would have at least around 17.4 million a piece in that situation and it could be more depending on the cap and how much our 2nd rounders cost.

With GA property tax being half of TX and GA tax in general being at 7% while CA millionaire tax is at 13.3 and going up. CP3 would make more money as a Hawk in year one then as a Clipper. Dwight would make less but not by much.

http://bit.ly/12ubtez

Leadership...I know you're kinda new and whatnot, but you're going to have to get something right if you expect to be taken seriously around here.

It's....*NIMBERS* :D

• Like 2