• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sporting News: Celtics have SnT for Josh ready if they deal Pierce to another team

Admin

No sign and trades until we know where CP3 and D12 sign.

I would think they would both be more likely to sign here with Pierce AND Horford in place, but I think the C's would have to guarantee Pierce's $15 million salary next year and that would make signing both Dwight and CP3 next to impossible unless they take a lot less money each. Can anyone confirm whether or not the C's can trade Pierce without guaranteeing that year? For example, could they cut him and then SnT him to us? If we could get him for about $7 million or so for 2-3 years, knowing 'secretly' that CP3 and Dwight would want him here to play together, would that be possible?

• Premium Member

Well, let's be clear about what it says...

When I read it, it says that if Boston Buys out Paul, they will get a 15.3 Million dollar exception and will use that to get Smoove in a SNT. SO in essence, right now, it says that the Hawks get nothing, but I would work the deal to get Fab Melo + the exception.

Paul is set to sign with the Clipps or the Heat after he becomes a FA.

Actually went and read the article, it's not Pierce coming to Atlanta, it's just that they'd have a SnT offer ready for us. They'd have to trade Pierce to get a trade exception to land Josh. In that case I imagine we'd get a young player and/or a 1st round pick for him.

Consider the departure of Doc Rivers Phase II of the Celtics’ slow dismantling, which began last summer with Ray Allen leaving Boston. Phase III will come this week, when Boston must either trade Paul Pierce or decide to buy him out. They have until June 30 to inform Pierce of such a move.

As for the rebuilding sure to follow the dismantling, that is contingent on what happens with Pierce. If the Celtics can unload Pierce to a team with enough cap space to absorb his salary, they will get a trade exception worth Pierce’s salary, or $15.3 million. And if that happens, the plan is already in place.

According to a source, the Celtics have a sign-and-trade offer ready for Atlanta forward Josh Smith that would be the top priority in free agency.

Smith has long been connected to Boston in trade rumors, including one that would have sent Pierce to Atlanta in February. His link to the current Celtics dates back to high school, when he played with point guard Rajon Rondo at Oak Hill.

In order to land Smith, though, the Celtics need to pull off a deal for Pierce that will net them a trade exception. Because teams over the salary cap can’t take on salary without sending back matching salaries, Boston’s options are limited to teams under the cap. That’s why two teams that have been connected to a Pierce deal have been Cleveland and Milwaukee.

• Moderators

Well, I think it's safe to say that their "SnT deal" won't involve Rondo, Pierce, or KG. Likely, it'll be around Bradley and/or Green + picks. I'm fine with that so long as Dwight/CP3 dream is dead. Is there a way to pull this off w/o giving up on Dwight/CP3?

I would think they would both be more likely to sign here with Pierce AND Horford in place, but I think the C's would have to guarantee Pierce's $15 million salary next year and that would make signing both Dwight and CP3 next to impossible unless they take a lot less money each. Can anyone confirm whether or not the C's can trade Pierce without guaranteeing that year? For example, could they cut him and then SnT him to us? If we could get him for about $7 million or so for 2-3 years, knowing 'secretly' that CP3 and Dwight would want him here to play together, would that be possible?

Or can he be traded to a team and then bought out at the 5 million?

Well, let's be clear about what it says...

When I read it, it says that if Boston Buys out Paul, they will get a 15.3 Million dollar exception and will use that to get Smoove in a SNT. SO in essence, right now, it says that the Hawks get nothing, but I would work the deal to get Fab Melo + the exception.

Paul is set to sign with the Clipps or the Heat after he becomes a FA.

No they won't get an exception if they don't guarantee Pierce's deal next year. They'd only get an exception if they traded him to a team that sent less money back to them in a trade. For example if they move him to Cleveland and don't take a player back, that would create a $15.3 million dollar exception that they can then use to acquire Josh in a SnT. But they'd have to give us something like a young player and/or a draft pick.

• Like 1

Only players I'd want from the Celtics are Avery Bradley and/or Jeff Green.

Jeff Green is overpaid for his production and we'd really regret having that contract. Avery Bradley would be nice but they've also got a project C in Fab Melo who could be worth something in a year or two. Fab Melo and a 1st would be a steal for Josh.

• Like 1

I don't think we are good trade partners with the Celts. The only guy I'd be interested in is Rondo and maybe Bradley. I doubt they trade is either guy.

I would be upset if we did this of course unless we got a 1st round draft pick this year and next year....One thing is good comes from this - The Hawks can and probably will Sign & Trade Smith..

Many draft picks for a player that will walk anyway is not going to happen.

Dolf, I know I asked you this before since you follow cuse but is Fab really a good player? Why do I feel like he's a stiff poor Nan's Roy Hibbert.

I don't think we are good trade partners with the Celts. The only guy I'd be interested in is Rondo and maybe Bradley. I doubt they trade is either guy.

If they lose Pierce and KG, their pick will be worth something.