• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sporting News: Celtics have SnT for Josh ready if they deal Pierce to another team

Admin

Dolf, I know I asked you this before since you follow cuse but is Fab really a good player? Why do I feel like he's a stiff poor Nan's Roy Hibbert.

Oh I don't think he's as talented as Hibbert. He's got skills as a rebounder and shot blocker but not quite on Hibberts level. He's probably another 2 years away from being able to really play at this level but he's still raw from not playing until late in his teens but I think he will be a good backup and a borderline starter in a couple of years.

To elaborate, PP makes around $16.8m. Since no one has that amount of cap space, a team needs to send back salaries in order to take on PP. Teams that would end up below the Luxury Tax after a trade with Boston will be need to send ($16.8m-$5.1m=) $11.7m of outgoing salary to make this work. In that scenario, Boston would get a TPE of $5.1m. Whoop-de-freaking-do.

This is not happening. Unless PP and the Celtics mutually agree to push the guarantee date of his salary beyond June 30th and into July, this is a total non-issue.

That's possible then that they push the date, right? I mean it's in both the team and Pierce's interest to do so. Push it 2 weeks and that would allow time to get a deal worked out with Cleveland and then SnT for Josh, right?

Jeff Green is overpaid for his production and we'd really regret having that contract. Avery Bradley would be nice but they've also got a project C in Fab Melo who could be worth something in a year or two. Fab Melo and a 1st would be a steal for Josh.

Jeff Green put up 20 ppg in the playoffs this year... jus' sayin'.

I do not see why Paul would want to move the date. The only way Paul moves the date is if he believes he will be able to command >$10m in the open market. I doubt that happens. So Paul will not want to move that buyout.

I think what the author maaaaay be alluding to is trading a fully-guaranteed Paul Pierce contract to a team with cap space. I find this to be even more laughable than what I first assumed he meant because there is no way in hell Paul Pierce is worth $15m. Any team willing to do that trade surely is a moron.

The only legitimate Paul Pierce action that I could see happening is the Celtics waive him before June 30th. Note: this is NOT a buyout, it is simply waiving Paul Pierce and then being responsible for paying him $5m and having that on their cap. A buyout is something negotiated between two parties to release a party from a contract after said contract has already been signed. This is not occurring because the parties already agreed to this clause in the contract when it was originally signed.

Apparently there is mutual interest between Pierce and Cleveland and they will have plenty of cap room to use. Maybe they won't fully guarantee him but maybe he'll get a new deal for 2-3 years at around $10 million. I'm sure he wants out of Boston since they won't have Doc and probably won't have KG anymore either and he can go play with a borderline superstar in Kyrie Irving and a good young roster in Cleveland and get a few more years on a deal.

Would a Rondo for Smith swap be totally out of the question? I know he's got attitude concerns and that's a risky deal with a new coach and all, but dang, you can't deny the talent. Boston has Bradley who can start at PG even though he's not really a floor general. Heck, maybe that's why they're interested in Josh as a PG!

Seriously, we couldn't do much better than Rondo at PG if that's even a possibility with Boston. They nearly dealt Rondo for Pau Gasol if that tells you his value around the league. I know this board is split on Gasol, but there were tons of Josh for Gasol rumors flying around the good ole interweb last year so I'd say the value is close to equal there.

My guess is they could offer Pierce and a future pick to entice the Hawks to participate. With one year left on his deal, the Hawks maintain their cap flexibility after next season.

I don't know if the 16th pick is enough of an enticement to take on Pierce's salary unless we have no shot at Dwight and CP3.

Apparently there is mutual interest between Pierce and Cleveland and they will have plenty of cap room to use. Maybe they won't fully guarantee him but maybe he'll get a new deal for 2-3 years at around $10 million. I'm sure he wants out of Boston since they won't have Doc and probably won't have KG anymore either and he can go play with a borderline superstar in Kyrie Irving and a good young roster in Cleveland and get a few more years on a deal.

Strange as hell how the NBA works. Just a couple of years ago people were predicting KG would have a announced classy retirement season; then PP would follow suit the next season.

Now its all about the dollars for PP ( a mild surprise ) and a possible championship run for KG.

• Like 1

we are not getting rondo.. They trading for jbrick with the idea of him playing with rondo and green.. The only thing I want from the celtics are picks.

If we trade with them Im positive we are going to ask them to include avery bradley. Im sure bud would love him to have a guy like him. High motor defensive minded guard. The knock on him is that he cant play point guard for shit. He needs to play off the ball.

No, there is no possibility that "they won't fully guarantee" him with a trade. If Paul Pierce is traded after June 30th, then he will be fully guaranteed. No other possibilities. There is no option that PP can push back the guarantee date and then be traded to only be waived and then resigned to a new deal. That circumvents the cap and the league will not allow it. Not only that, they cannot extend his contract for future years and amend down his 2013-14 salary. His 2013-14 salary will be the $15.3m that sham has reported.

It again becomes an issue of "hey is PP worth $15.3m?" I do not like to get into arguments on the board about whether or not a player is worth this, but Paul is certainly not worth this. Potentially, the Cavs could be trying to get ready for all the free agents in 2014-15 and just want Paul as a stop gap. Maaaybe I can believe that, but in reality I do not believe that.

Thanks for clarifying that about the cap rules. Cleveland might value Pierce at $15.3 million but I agree with you that he is not worth that much now, although he would be a nice expiring to use at the deadline if he doesn't work out in Cleveland.

So here is the one common thread no matter if we are talking which draft picks the hawks will take, FA, or this trade... in every discussion there is a SG involved. Why is that? Just a second ago everyone is so high on Jenkins and wonders if he is our new starting SG or just an option off the bench. For so many people here to be so high on Jenkins this surely spells the end for him here yes?

Can't be like oh I will take Bradley back in this trade to couple with lou wills, Jenkins, oladipo, franklin, and your cuz who balls at the Y,

• Moderators

Well

So here is the one common thread no matter if we are talking which draft picks the hawks will take, FA, or this trade... in every discussion there is a SG involved. Why is that? Just a second ago everyone is so high on Jenkins and wonders if he is our new starting SG or just an option off the bench. For so many people here to be so high on Jenkins this surely spells the end for him here yes?

Can't be like oh I will take Bradley back in this trade to couple with lou wills, Jenkins, oladipo, franklin, and your cuz who balls at the Y,

Jenkins isn't exactly a sure thing to be an nba starting 2 guard. He played ok in spot duty last year but i sure wouldn't want to pencil him in to be our starter. Next step is for him to be in the actual rotation.

we are not getting rondo.. They trading for jbrick with the idea of him playing with rondo and green.. The only thing I want from the celtics are picks.

If we trade with them Im positive we are going to ask them to include avery bradley. Im sure bud would love him to have a guy like him. High motor defensive minded guard. The knock on him is that he cant play point guard for shit. He needs to play off the ball.

How do you know Rondo isn't in play? If he's as big (or possibly bigger) headache than Smith, why would he not be available if they're trying to rebuild?

I outlined earlier how the Celtics reportedly were close to pulling the trigger on a deal to send Rondo for Gasol. The Lakers reportedly were interested in Smith for Gasol this season. By that, you'd have to say Smith and Gasol had similar value.

To elaborate, PP makes around $16.8m. Since no one has that amount of cap space, a team needs to send back salaries in order to take on PP. Teams that would end up below the Luxury Tax after a trade with Boston will be need to send ($16.8m-$5.1m=) $11.7m of outgoing salary to make this work. In that scenario, Boston would get a TPE of $5.1m. Whoop-de-freaking-do. This is not happening. Unless PP and the Celtics mutually agree to push the guarantee date of his salary beyond June 30th and into July, this is a total non-issue.

Hasn't Cleveland already offered picks for him straight up? I don't recall any players being mentioned in that deal. So apparently Cleveland can make that trade.

So here is the one common thread no matter if we are talking which draft picks the hawks will take, FA, or this trade... in every discussion there is a SG involved. Why is that? Just a second ago everyone is so high on Jenkins and wonders if he is our new starting SG or just an option off the bench. For so many people here to be so high on Jenkins this surely spells the end for him here yes? Can't be like oh I will take Bradley back in this trade to couple with lou wills, Jenkins, oladipo, franklin, and your cuz who balls at the Y,

Depends is your cuz a 3 and D guy??