• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can we call it a development year vs. tanking?

ATL_BALLER

Seriously, I see no problem - and in fact, tremendous value, in letting BeBe and Menace hit the ground running - starting their NBA development now.

Yes, there's the risk of them losing confidence, but we have proven player development staff now to guide their growth.

As a team, I don't think losing for one year (after six straight playoff seasons) will be demoralizing - we haven't been mired in a hapless, desolate culture like the Charlotte's.

Despite the proven track record against 'tanking' - I see all upside to developing talent this year, while also putting ourselves in position for at least a shot at Wiggins/Parker. It sickens me to think that the Lakers and Celts could be in the mix - they always seem to time their down years just right. Why can't we?

I know free agency looms, and we may end up with a competitive product this year, but as noted many times, outside of Dwight, there's nothing exciting or game-changing.

I say develop, get in the lottery, and then use your cap space next year to bring in the right veteran talent.

• Like 1

Agree totally. I wouldn't be surprised if Horford asks out if we don't make a FA splash. I know, I know "he's the heart and soul". Blah, blah, blah, but no one wants their "prime" years wasted on a total rebuild.

Glad someone said this besides me. Because when it comes from me, it's just seen as being "negative".

If "developing talent' is the plan, while losing in the process, I wonder how cool Horford is going to be with that? Horford has made the playoffs every year he's been in the league. I don't know how long he's going to wait around for us to be good again. He probably sees himself as the "go to guy" and the "franchise player" to build around. So if the Hawks aren't doing that, I wonder what he thinks about it?

• Like 1

Agree totally. I wouldn't be surprised if Horford asks out if we don't make a FA splash. I know, I know "he's the heart and soul". Blah, blah, blah, but no one wants their "prime" years wasted on a total rebuild.

Well - IMO - that's too bad. He signed the contract. Many of us have had jobs we weren't in love with...we kept at them for the money. Besides, AL seems like a quality guy so I'm sure he will go out there every night and give it his all.

Every summer we go through the same BS, some things never change. I totally understand why the national folks poke fun at the Hawks.

I totally agree...It's the perennial loser mentality...Let's rebuild and hope..Let's rebuild and hope...Competitors want to compete or guess what they get good enough just to bounce...to another team. Just asked Cleveland about that with Lebron - eventhough he was loyal enough to stay with them for 7years...Now I can hear the believers in tanking say well they were lucky to get Kyrie- but i wouldnt be surprise if he leaves as well. The Hawks have two picks in 2014, and I believe that Ferry will try to field a competive team now that also has a bright future. Just think what if the lottery odds leave us with the 5th or 6th pick...would it be worth it then? You just dont put all stock in a lottery...

With that said let's just be patient and see how Ferry's plan develops

• Like 1

I hate wasting a year of Horford, too - but you could argue we were wasting his time anyway mired in mediocrity. As a competitor, and the face of the franchise, and knowing we have actual leadership and vision in place, I think Al will be onboard, and actually a valuable piece of the development effort.

Again, all of this could be moot if we sign the Evans', Ellis' and Jeffersons' and end up with a competitive (but uninspiring) product. I hope that's not the case. Despite all of the evidence against 'tanking', per say, that has been belabored here, I think we HAVE to get in the mix for the elite '14 talent; that doesn't mean this year can't be meaningful, though.

• Like 2

I totally agree...It's the perennial loser mentality...Let's rebuild and hope..Let's rebuild and hope...Competitors want to compete or guess what they get good enough just to bounce...to another team. Just asked Cleveland about that with Lebron - eventhough he was loyal enough to stay with them for 7years...Now I can hear the believers in tanking say well they were lucky to get Kyrie- but i wouldnt be surprise if he leaves as well. The Hawks have two picks in 2014, and I believe that Ferry will try to field a competive team now that also has a bright future. Just think what if the lottery odds leave us with the 5th or 6th pick...would it be worth it then? You just dont put all stock in a lottery...

With that said let's just be patient and see how Ferry's plan develops

I say this all the time on here. The loser mentality most of these "fans" have is ridiculous. According to them every star in the league came in pre-made and was a guaranteed success. No development period ever occurred at all smh.

• Like 4

I say this all the time on here. The loser mentality most of these "fans" have is ridiculous. According to them every star in the league came in pre-made and was a guaranteed success. No development period ever occurred at all smh.

Call it whatever you want. The REALITY of this league, as has been noted here ad-nauseam - is you have to have (at least one) superstar to win. You're right - there's no guarantee of success with any of these prospects. But can we, at least for ONE year, try something different than running out a treadmill team. And again, I'm not talking about a lost year - I'm talking about moving the plan forward by developing our players now vs. stashing.

Tell me, Cwell, what does your competitive plan for this year entail?

Just think what if the lottery odds leave us with the 5th or 6th pick...would it be worth it then? You just dont put all stock in a lottery...

You'll have a year of developing our new assets under our belts, another nice asset in an extremely deep draft and cap flexibility. We can stay the development course or package some of those young assets in a Harden-esque trade scenario, should it arise.

And if we do get in those top 2 spots, we're in serious business.

Edited by ATL_BALLER

I'm sorry but at this point, I'd much rather take the development route than watch our team get knocked out of the second round next season. There has to be a point where you say enough is enough and frankly, I'm tired of it.It's like a part of this small fan base is actually content with being a mediocre playoff team and that to me is crazy.

It's going to be hilarious to see Boston potentially aquiring a quality young talent in next years draft while we sit desperately and hope a big free agent is going to want to come to Atlanta.

• Like 2

I hate wasting a year of Horford, too - but you could argue we were wasting his time anyway mired in mediocrity. As a competitor, and the face of the franchise, and knowing we have actual leadership and vision in place, I think Al will be onboard, and actually a valuable piece of the development effort.

Again, all of this could be moot if we sign the Evans', Ellis' and Jeffersons' and end up with a competitive (but uninspiring) product. I hope that's not the case. Despite all of the evidence against 'tanking', per say, that has been belabored here, I think we HAVE to get in the mix for the elite '14 talent; that doesn't mean this year can't be meaningful, though.

I have mixed feeling on this.

What if we end of with the 5th worst record and get pick 9 or 10 in the lottery ? We have just as good a chance of that happening as to winning the #1 pick.

Its called a lottery for a reason. We could luck out or it could be a lost season for pick 10 in the draft.

I would be fine adding the likes of JJ Hickson and Tyreke Evans. Evans is only 23 and Hickson is ony 24. We would have a nice young core group around Horford with plenty of pieces that have room for growth.

If by "hilarious" you actually meant "terrifyingly agonizing", then I agree with you. Also, the Lakers will probably also be on Boston's level next season too.

Exactly - that's what I said above. If they're poised to pounce on that elite talent, why can't we can be, too, while still having a productive year in terms of developing our new assets?

Again, we're in Charlotte or Washington's position - we have a recent pedigree of playoff basketball that we can deviate from in the right year - the PERFECT year - without doing permanent damage to the product.

We already have a legit player development staff on board. When was the last time the Hawks had a staff with this much clout? Why not use that to our advantage?

Ferry can make smart aquisitions through trades, the draft, and free agency all while keeping our cap space flexible. Use that time to development these young cats.

These are the type of moves this franchise has been missing and we finally have the people to get it done.

If by "hilarious" you actually meant "terrifyingly agonizing", then I agree with you. Also, the Lakers will probably also be on Boston's level next season too.

That's exactly what I mean. It's going to be extremely frustrating during the next draft if nothing is changed.

And cosign about the Lakers. It's almost too perfect of a set up for them.