• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Warriors trying to clear cap space to sign D12 outright

Admin

If GSW doesn't pull off the deals, my goodness, did that team screw themselves over with Charlie Bell's amnesty or what? ~lw3

Saddest part is that they did that specifically so they could make an offer to Deandre Jordan...Sure you can argue that there was no way that they could have seen themselves in this position now but common sense was always amnesty Beans, amnesty Beans and oh yea, amnesty Beans..
  • Like 1

They are at like $71m of committed money right now, so they have to move all 3 to sign him outright. The tough ones to trade are RJ and Beans, I think they may actually get some assets for Bogut but that is just my speculation.

Ah I hadn't checked their cap situation.

Couldn't they move 2 of them to create a $20 million traded player exception to use on Dwight?

One of the Hawksquawk insiders on here said that the meeting didnt go well at all so no surprise here that they already looking somewhere else.[/quote

Is there some truth to this? How did you get that out of that espn article that the meeting between Howard and the hawks went bad?

You cannot sign free agents with a TPE, but a sign and trade could work. However, you cannot aggregate salaries in a non-simultaneous trade (the one that generates the TPE). So there would be no way to get Dwight a starting salary above $14m+$100k.

I think Ken Berger was the first one to say that GS just needed to trade 2 of the 3 contracts. When you mess up with the CBA like that either 1) this is a lie or 2) you aren't very good at your job. Those two are not mutually exclusive. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22647462/sources-warriors-capclearing-efforts-not-solely-tied-to-dwight

So if they sent Bogut and Jefferson ($25 million I think?) to say a hypothetical team that had that much cap space or only had to send back $5 million, would they not get a $20 million exception? Would it be 2 different exceptions since they're trading 2 players? Or would they have 1 big exception since they're trading them to 1 team?

I wasn't thinking that they could sign Dwight with the TPE but I figured that LAL would gladly trade him for it so that they could then go out and get someone from another team with it.

MARC STEIN@ESPNSTEINLINEEven Hawks haven't been told they're ALL the way out of The Dwightstakes. Other four suitors all in agony ... just as on edge as rest of us11:27 - 05 JUL 13REPLY RETWEET FAVORITE

No. You cannot aggregate salaries in a non-simultaneous trade and the only instance you get a TPE is in a non-simultaneous trade. Bogut alone could generate a TPE and Jefferson alone could generate a TPE and they could sit on two TPEs. They could not combine them and both of the TPEs would have a caphold. So the Warriors would not be able to outright sign Dwight unless they also renounced the TPEs.

I don't understand why they can't trade both players to the same team in the same trade and get 1 TPE. I appreciate you trying to explain but that's just something that doesn't make sense to me. They can trade each of them separately and get separate TPE's so what is the league trying to accomplish by not allowing them to be combined in a trade to 1 team?

I understand that they would have a cap hold but that would only be temporary while they traded for Dwight.

No one ever said there was a specific reason for why the CBA does what it does or that the CBA even has to be logical. The CBA is clear on how the trade exception works, no aggregation for non-simultaneous trades.

^that describes the generally termed "TPE". It only says a Team's trade of a player, not more than a player. Lawyers are sticklers for crap like that. If you want to look at aggregating players in a trade, then the next section covers that:

^that is the only part of the CBA that talks about aggregating players in a trade. It can only be simultaneous. Lawyers will not let you combine those two sections into a logical next section allowing for non-simultaneous transactions including aggregated salaries.

(pages 190 to 191 in the CBA, or 199 and 200 in the PDF, or in Article VII Basketball Related Income, Salary Cap, Minimum Team Salary, and Escrow Arrangement Section 6-j-1-ii and Section 6-j-1-iii)

No I need logic and an explanation damn it! Surely the lawyers had to have explained that to each other when drawing up the CBA and I want to know why!

We will allow A and you can get X from it.

We will allow B and you can get Y from it.

We will allow A+B but you cannot get X+Y from it.

That's basic but pretty much sums it up. They could combine 2 of those expirings as long as they took back a contract for one of them, thus still only leaving them that one TPE.

MARC STEIN@ESPNSTEINLINEEven Hawks haven't been told they're ALL the way out of The Dwightstakes. Other four suitors all in agony ... just as on edge as rest of us11:27 - 05 JUL 13REPLY RETWEET FAVORITE

This tweet spawned the hilarious #eventhehawks hashtag that was trending for awhile. Stein even took notice and tried to explain himself.

This tweet spawned the hilarious #eventhehawks hashtag that was trending for awhile. Stein even took notice and tried to explain himself.

I'm seriously think that should be our motto for this year as a team. #EvenTheHawks4Life

I could go for this. Bogut is a good stopgap C when healthy and Barnes has a lot of talent. Bogut/Barnes/Pick plus a trash player is pretty sick actually. A stopgap starting C that we desperately need and a 3 of the future that we need even more desperately? Sounds nice.

Edit: Plus the Warriors would still have Rush and Green to play the 3 with Thompson spotting minutes there.

Edited by TheFuzz

Stein says now that bogut is not included. They are just looking to unload Jefferson and biedrins. Gross.#eventhehawks wouldn't go for that.

I would prefer Bogut but I'd take those two if Barnes comes with them.

This is still not going to get them far enough under the cap to sign Dwight, even if they don't get anything in return. Still gonna have to move Bogut someplace else.