• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder is better right now than Jeff Teague

NBASupes

• Premium Member

Rondo shot 42% overall and 20% from 3 in his rookie year. He was able to improve on that and Schröder is already a better shooter than that. I think he'll be ok.

Rondo was not very good his rookie season though. Saying Schröder who has shown great passing skills (against ultimate scrubs) and almost no offense is already better than Teague who had the most 20- 10 games last season of any player not named Paul, is beyond absurd. I just hope that if Schröder struggles his rookie season (which he probably will) all these people that are salivating over 2 minute highlight reels and five alley oops in summer league don't crucify the kid. I obviously hope that Schröder is the next big thing at PG, but these people who seriously consider that he will be a better player from day 1 than Teague are just going to be overwhelmingly disapointed when Vets start making Schröder look silly at both ends. If there's one position where it's difficult to come in and play it's PG. People say Rondo and Parker did it right away, but the truth is both were pretty bad early on despite having the benefit of being sorrounded by some of the most stacked teams of the past 30 years. Thinking Schroeader is capable of coming in and averaging better than 15-7 with very good/great percentages from the field, three, and the stripe are basically saying Schröder is capable of having one of the best rookie campaigns of any PG in the history of the NBA. The fact this bold prediction stems from the guy averaging 9 points and 6 assists in summer league just about makes it the most ludicrous thing I've seen on the board... perhaps ever.

• Like 4

No. I didn't read anything but the thread. Ferry isn't paying anyone 32 million to be beat out by a 19 year old. Maybe at the trade deadline, record, injuries....who knows...? Jeff Teague is our guy

Calm down guys, you guys are considering a guy that is averaging 5,8 ast and 3.5 TO per game the next Rajon Rondo, he is also shooting 0,300%. The guy is good, I like the tools he has but by no means he is ready to start on the NBA, he even has not been able to dominate at Summer league, it will take time to develop him.

Teague is a starting PG on the league and a very good one, he is on the top 15 on the league, let's develop the kid, if he proves that is a starting PG, we could always trade a fantastic player like Teague to obtain value at other position.

There are a lot of starting PG's better at the position than Teague. I am talking John, Dame and that boy Jrue.

Rondo was not very good his rookie season though. Saying Schröder who has shown great passing skills (against ultimate scrubs) and almost no offense is already better than Teague who had the most 20- 10 games last season of any player not named Paul, is beyond absurd. I just hope that if Schröder struggles his rookie season (which he probably will) all these people that are salivating over 2 minute highlight reels and five alley oops in summer league don't crucify the kid. I obviously hope that Schröder is the next big thing at PG, but these people who seriously consider that he will be a better player from day 1 than Teague are just going to be overwhelmingly disapointed when Vets start making Schröder look silly at both ends. If there's one position where it's difficult to come in and play it's PG. People say Rondo and Parker did it right away, but the truth is both were pretty bad early on despite having the benefit of being sorrounded by some of the most stacked teams of the past 30 years. Thinking Schroeader is capable of coming in and averaging better than 15-7 with very good/great percentages from the field, three, and the stripe are basically saying Schröder is capable of having one of the best rookie campaigns of any PG in the history of the NBA. The fact this bold prediction stems from the guy averaging 9 points and 6 assists in summer league just about makes it the most ludicrous thing I've seen on the board... perhaps ever.

What if you don't think Teague is that good? You mention stats but what if stats don't mean much if you can't play a certain role that's needed for players to reach their potential. Sorry but I rather we get max production out of our others than just Jeff especially since we aren't that good with Jeff as it is.

I doubt I will be disappointed when Jeff has to go v. Dennis in practice. Dennis is a bull on defense. He can run an offense. He is a much better passing and is a much smarter offensive player. Nothing will really change that. You are talking about a PG with the flair of Rubio, the style of Rondo, and the defensive tools and intensity for his position like Avery Bradley. Not to mention he looks solid playing off the ball as well although he is not much of a threat without the ball at this point of his career. You are basically taking a kid with the world of tools, talent, and desire. He can be great and what makes you think Jeff will be able to run a team anyway near as good as Dennis.

I honestly think he is one of the most talented PG's I've seen. That includes CP3, Deron, Kyrie, Parker, Rose, and Kidd. I think he is already one of the better rookies in his class. Not quite as good as this stage as Zeller, Vic, and McCullum but those guys are older than Dennis who is only 19. So saying he is one of the best PG's isn't a crazy thought.

Tell me how many PG's can be elite at both offense and defense in the NBA? He can be one of the best defensive PG's of all time. He has GP tools. He can be one of the best offensive PG's of all time. His ability to run an offense, play the PnR, get players open shots, his first step is out of this world, and he has scoring instincts even if he is raw at it at this stage of his career.

I'm only comparing the fact that both were/are EXCELLENT passers and leaders, but have little else. You have to pose at least some threat to score if you want to be a successful PG in the NBA. That's basic basketball. Schröder has the makings of a decent set shot, but it's unreliable at this point. His shot off the bounce is cringe worthy to be completely honest. I'm also a little concerned about his issues with finishing at the rim, especially for a guy with his athleticism and length. But, all of these things can be worked on. I'm just saying he needs time. BTW, the 'nut-so' roll started when you posted this thread pal.

Dennis shot doesn't look cringe worthy at all. His form isn't that far off from Jeff's and he's in SL for crying out loud, who shooting % is better in SL than it is in the NBA outside of talented mindless scrubs. No you are nut-so if you are comparing a stud to a bum like Doug. Dennis level is more like Rubio and Rondo. Not a scrub like Doug coming out of OK State.

If you want to compare Doug to someone, use Ed Cota or someone like that. That PG named Cook from St. Johns.

I am on team Dennis. Just peep my profile pic. But I have no problem at all admitting that this is the most sensible outlook in this entire thread.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Is it just possible for Schröder and Teague to both start in the back court? I mean Schröder has more potential than Jenkins to start and we already would have Korver most likely at the 3 for shooting. This way we have Schröder who would make the offense all the better with his court vision and passing. Then Teague could play off the ball with his quickness and scoring. I know it's a small back court, but our entire line-up is small and who cares, we are developing: Schröder/Teague/WilliamsTeague/Williams/Jenkins/CunninghamKorver/Carroll/ScottMillsap/Brand/Scott/MuscalaHorford/Brand/Bebe/MuscalaThey both start, then when you sub one out for a shooter, he can come back in for the other PG to start the 2nd. This way we start them both in the 1st and 3rd, and with the sub patterns they will sub in for each other after.

I tossed around a similar idea and had some poster think I didn't word my post properly. I think they just didn't read it properly..I couldn't start Teague and Schröder. I think it's a good backcourt in small doses but it's not good to start the game. Teague played off the ball in college, he wasn't and still isn't a pure PG. I could see Schröder developing enough to the point where he needed more minutes and we can't bench Teague so they both play. Even Steve Smith talked about a Schröder/Teague backcourt being used next year. If we get a really good SG I can see the idea being nixed. As of now, I don't see Jenkins/Lou/Cunningham playing great enough to keep Schröder and Teague both off the court if they are both needed. It won't be your close game defensive lineup but a quick scoring offensive lineup. Edited by cam1218

I see you guys saying well he is only averaging 9/6 like he was making passes like crazy all game long. If we can actually finish open layups and shots, he is likely around 15-20 APG in a 40 minute game. You really think if you put him on a court with Horf and Korver that he wouldn't be eating in terms of assists?

Like I said, if you watch the games, you wouldn't be trying to make blanket statements. Westbrook had more assist than Rubio. So that equals Westbrook is a better passer than Rubio to some fans who never watch or understand the game.

This summer league has shown that Schröder has excellent natural abilities, but also that he has a lot of work to do before he can be a consistent contributor in the NBA. Saying he's already better than someone who has gone toe-to-toe with the league MVP in the playoffs is absurd.

• Like 1

This summer league has shown that Schröder has excellent natural abilities, but also that he has a lot of work to do before he can be a consistent contributor in the NBA. Saying he's already better than someone who has gone toe-to-toe with the league MVP in the playoffs is absurd.

Jeff wasn't guarded that much by Rose. Their attention was on everyone else but Jeff. That's like crediting Harrison Barnes for playing well v. San Antonio when he was the only one they really didn't gameplan for due to Klay, Steph, and Bogut giving them major issues. Jeff fans, I am still waiting to hear where Jeff is better than Dennis? Give me skills, not talking points.

Jeff wasn't guarded that much by Rose. Their attention was on everyone else but Jeff. That's like crediting Harrison Barnes for playing well v. San Antonio when he was the only one they really didn't gameplan for due to Klay, Steph, and Bogut giving them major issues. Jeff fans, I am still waiting to hear where Jeff is better than Dennis? Give me skills, not talking points.

Much better shooter and much better free throw shooter.

Much better shooter and much better free throw shooter.

So that makes him a much better player? I guess Mo Williams is much better than Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook if that's the criteria?

Right, right. Teague only accomplishes what the other team allows him to accomplish. The Bulls didn't take notice the first time he scored 21...or the second time he scored 21...or the third time he score 21...Schröder on the other hand, he doesn't even have to produce against summer leaguers to completely pass your test. If he didn't have bums out there with him he'd average "15-20 assists" a game. He's the ultimate combination of Rondo, Rubio, and Bradley. Yes, of course...

Right, right. Teague only accomplishes what the other team allows him to accomplish. The Bulls didn't take notice the first time he scored 21...or the second time he scored 21...or the third time he score 21...Schröder on the other hand, he doesn't even have to produce against summer leaguers to completely pass your test. If he didn't have bums out there with him he'd average "15-20 assists" a game. He's the ultimate combination of Rondo, Rubio, and Bradley. Yes, of course...

Blah Blah Blah... Give me skills, NOT talking points. I don't give a damn about talking points. I watch the damn games. I don't need them. Save them for some fan who rarely watches the Hawks.

What are Jeff's strengths in your eyes since he is better than Dennis in your opinion?

Blah Blah Blah... Give me skills, NOT talking points. I don't give a damn about talking points. I watch the damn games. I don't need them. Save them for some fan who rarely watches the Hawks.

What are Jeff's strengths in your eyes since he is better than Dennis in your opinion?

It's simple. Teague is a much, much better scorer at this point. Shooting or driving the basketball it's no contest. Schröder's perceived advantages are not nearly polished enough at this point to overcome that. He'll have to adjust to the speed of the NBA and competing with very smart, long, and athletic defenders. He'll have to put on some weight to compete with some of the bigger guards. Give it a year or two and this discussion might have more merit.

It's simple. Teague is a much, much better scorer at this point. Shooting or driving the basketball it's no contest. Schröder's perceived advantages are not nearly polished enough at this point to overcome that. He'll have to adjust to the speed of the NBA and competing with very smart, long, and athletic defenders. He'll have to put on some weight to compete with some of the bigger guards. Give it a year or two and this discussion might have more merit.

Both can drive, I would say Dennis is more of a threat on the drive than Jeff since he has better handles but Jeff is a superior finisher now and maybe forever.

I disagree with that statement. I do think his strengths are more than enough to overcome his lack of polish to his complete game. I do agree he has to put on some weight but he made gains in this off-season. I seen numerous 19 year olds do it. Why not Dennis?

I think if you put Jeff on a team like Indy as a 6th man and Dennis as a starting PG for the Hawks next year, Jeff would be better. But as a starting PG for the Hawks, I'll take Dennis 10 out of 10 times.

I think this discussion has a lot of merit right now which is why I created it. If you don't think so, you are entitled to your opinion. I just want what Jeff does better than Dennis since he is seen as a better player by numerous members of this forum. Talking points don't say nothing when you consider I watched 90% of the games in the last 5 seasons.

Name 15 PG better than Teague

I can name more than 15.

Rondo

Deron

Lowry

Rose

Irving

George Hill

I think Jennings is better if you put him around a very good supporting cast not Milwaukee but I'll leave him out since that's what if's.

Kemba, I felt Kemba was better last year. One of the only bright spots for Charlotte last year.

John Wall

Conley

Jrue Holiday

Tony Parker

Ty Lawson

Rubio

Lillard

Westbrook

Steph

CP3

Old Steve Nash

If Dragic had a better supporting cast, he would be better, see Jennings.

I think Jarrett Jack and Calderon is just as good as Jeff.

Jeff is a mediocre PG to me with good overall talent.

I think 15 point guards better than teague is a stretch. Lets see go down the list. Just my 2 cents.

I can name more than 15.

Rondo - Yes

Deron - yes

Lowry - equal to IMO

Rose - yes

Irving - yes

George Hill - no

I think Jennings is better if you put him around a very good supporting cast not Milwaukee but I'll leave him out since that's what if's.- debateable.

Kemba, I felt Kemba was better last year. One of the only bright spots for Charlotte last year. - no

John Wall - yes

Conley - yes

Jrue Holiday - yes

Tony Parker - yes

Ty Lawson - yes

Rubio - no

Lillard - yes

Westbrook - yes

Steph - yes

CP3 - yes

Old Steve Nash - unsure due to him having such an terrible injury plagued season I say no.

If Dragic had a better supporting cast, he would be better, see Jennings. - no

I think Jarrett Jack and Calderon is just as good as Jeff.

Jeff is a mediocre PG to me with good overall talent.

so thats about 13 point guards I think are better than teague IMO with a couple of debatable ones.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22786537/hawks-dennis-Schröder-has-a-patience-that-few-rookies-have

We know Jeffery will never be able to this in his career which is critical especially when most of your roster is movement guys. That's one of my peeves per-say about Jeff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSmrKbAjAg#at=12

I think 15 point guards better than teague is a stretch. Lets see go down the list. Just my 2 cents.

so thats about 13 point guards I think are better than teague IMO with a couple of debatable ones.

Like I said, we are all entitled to your opinion. I won't reject your list at all but that doesn't mean I will agree either. The great thing about a message board is that.

While their are NOT 17 if even 14 PG's more talented than Jeff, their are clearly over 15 better than him at the point in my opinion.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

I can name more than 15. RondoDeronLowryRoseIrvingGeorge HillI think Jennings is better if you put him around a very good supporting cast not Milwaukee but I'll leave him out since that's what if's.Kemba, I felt Kemba was better last year. One of the only bright spots for Charlotte last year.John WallConleyJrue HolidayTony ParkerTy LawsonRubioLillardWestbrookStephCP3Old Steve NashIf Dragic had a better supporting cast, he would be better, see Jennings. I think Jarrett Jack and Calderon is just as good as Jeff. Jeff is a mediocre PG to me with good overall talent.

No way, definately worse than: Paul, Rose, Deron, Westbrook, Irving, Curry, Rondo, Wall, Parker, Rubio, Lillard ,Lawson.About the same as Conley and HolidayDefinately better than Dragic, Jennings, Hill, Walker.... Calderon, Lowry???(you kidding right?) Edited by gurpilo