I know play likes to bash the guy, but he's been a hellva

lot better than Reef this year. He has hit some huge shots

this year..

22 points 5 rebounds tonight. He had a good game last

night and have gave good efforts most nights. Very happy

with his efforts...He has bad shot selection...but if could

settle in as a legit 3rd option and some of the defensive

pressure loosened off him he would look better...he surely

looked better last year playing next to Dog,Reef and JT.

I still think he is the key to any success we might have this season. He has really stepped up his all around game, particularly his ballhandling. His ability to bring the ball up when JT gets pressed has been very important. JT is still just too shaky bringing the ball up the court when he is being pressured in the backcourt in my opinion. Glove is not perfect by any stretch but I am very happy with his performance at this stage of the season.

When the team starts to rebuild I think Dion should

be kept in addition to Boris...I haven't been impressed

with Boris, but since he costs so little we might aswell

keep him.

Dion sometimes turns the ball over, but as I said in the

other post...he has more burden this year than in any

year he has played....He has to do more than score this

year.

I said, before the season started, Dion Glover is my choice

for the "Most improved Hawk" award for this season.

He has done nothing, so far, to make me change my mind.

His ball handling skills improved toward the end of last

season. He seems to have improved his shooting, even

if his shot selection isn't the greatest. The more he

plays, the more that should improve.

He's a "Wide body" that's not afraid to go inside and mix

it up with the big boys. We need him for that. He can

rebound, drive the lane and draw the foul and he's hitting

those free throws.

Mostly, he has been playing the 2 guard and honing his

skills in that area. Sometimes, he is actually the point

and J.T. is the two. This works.

Remember our "Point Foreward" from a few seasons ago?

While his scoring is no where as close, Boris Diaw brings

some of the same qualities to the game. His passing

and rebounding is up there. His defense is better. He

just doesn't score much, not yet any way.

Hotlanta,

I don't dislike Dion, I dislike what Dion thinks he brings to the table.

Dion would have had an average night last night AND the night before if it weren't for the double that Reef commanded.

Dion flourishes when the ball is passed down low to Shareef. Why? Simple basketball. If Shareef isn't doubled, he will get an easy look at the basket. If Shareef IS doubled, it means someone is open. That someone is usually Dion on the far side.

Dion has calmed down the last couple games and been shooting when open. I won't complain. The beginning of the year (31% shooting), Dion tried to create on his own. He isn't really capable. Dion feeds off of Shareef.

You have to understand fundamentals to understand that concept Hots.

Play.

Dion can get to the basket if he wants no matter what

Reef is doing. The team was here before last year. You

kill me acting like Reefs a god or something. Nobody can

move if Reef doesn't do this....Nobody can do this if Reef

doesn't do that..lol

Dion was a 24PPG scorer for GA Tech and I don't recall

Reef playing there....

Hots,

Yes, and Dion was a bench warmer until last year. And before the offense ran through Shareef, Dion shot a miserable 31%.

Dion is not very good. Even the announcers were talking about how Dion was feeding off of Shareef.

Sure, Dion can play without Reef. But, he won't be successful, just like Reef isn't very successful with certain pieces around him.

It is a TEAM game.

Dion got open looks because Shareef has been getting the double team and he has been kicking it out. Dion isn't creating for himself or running to the basket like a maniac (half of the time drawing a charge).

Dion has played in control. Dion should rarely try to create for himself. He isn't that good.

Play.

Dion is not very good. Even the announcers were talking about how Dion was feeding off of Shareef."

Bobs any idiot...Hard to believe he has a job so I ignore

anything he really says.

"

Yes, and Dion was a bench warmer until last year. And before the offense ran through Shareef, Dion shot a miserable 31%. "

Your baseing this off a few games? The Magic should

dump Tmac since he's shooting in the mid 30's...What

a scrub....

Dion sat on the bench because Lon never liked him in

the first place...Stotts put him in the starting lineup

shortly after taking the team over.

Fans that support one player make me realize why I

have no favorite player....You tend to become alittle

biased when that happens.

Hots,

First, Bob had nothing to do with the comment, it was the Phoenix announcers who realized how Dion was getting his points.

If you watched the game, which I am sure you didn't, you would have seen that Shareef got doubled and tripled IMMEDIATELY upon touching the ball in the post. He would kick it out and it was swung to Dion, whose man was STILL recovering from the double.

Thus, easy buckets.

That is the way basketball is SUPPOSED to work. I am not blaming or faulting Dion for getting open looks. I like it. I like that we were running the offense through Reef and getting open looks and easy baskets like I said we would.

The problem is we go away from it and then start to fizzle. Then we try to reestablish it in the fourth. We need to continually utilize it, until it is dry and then we try something else.

No, I am not basing Dion's performance on a couple games. Dion is a role player - at best. And that isn't a bad thing. We need that. T-mac has consistantly performed well in the past... Dion has not.

McGrady can create his own shots, Dion cannot.

The comparison is broken.

I don't mind Dion shooting open shots or occationally driving the lane. The problem was that Dion thought he could do it ALL at the beginning of the year and was ruining our offensive flow.

Your failure to recognize the difference between open looks and covered shots really ruins your argument.

You think I really dislike Dion, I don't. I dislike anyone who chunks up shot after shot from the outside, especially when they aren't falling and they aren't a great shooter. He has slowed that down over the past few games.

Now we have to talk to Jackson.

Play.

I totally agree. Dion has become a solid player in the NBA. He still can use a little work on his jumper but that has improved tremendously. He has always been solid slashing to the hoop and scoring. His defense has also improved. I am so glad we signed him back and we need to think about keeping him for the future.

He always would do well in the summer league and it is finally translating to the big show.

Reef is no Duncan, C Webb, Divac or Shaq passing out of the double team. He is an average passer at best. He is SUPPOSED to be able to throw the ball back out of the post to the open man when he gets doubled! Its not like he is throwing dimes to a teammate who's slashing to the hoop. [censored], he even missed a WIDE OPEN Jax when Jax cut to the basket as Reef hit the rim with the pass.

Dion is playing VERY well and he is playing just as well with Reef on the bench as he is when Reef is on the floor. Dion has taken on a lot of the ballhandling responsibilites, he's rebounding, he's playing D and he's hitting clutch shots. I couldn't be happier with the way he is playing.

Reef is benefitting from Glove's good all around play every bit as much as Glove is benefitting from ANYTHING that Reef is doing. In fact, Glove and Theo have been our most impactful players up until this point in the season. Reef and JT have both had good games but Glove and Theo have given a more consistent effort night in and night out and consistency is what wins games in the long run.

Playmake you are comparing apples and oranges, you cant compare Tmac with Dion, gimme a break dude, you are talking about an ultimate scorer in this league, if you want Dion to become the next Tmac, good luck for you cus it wont happen. Dion is being compliment from Reef being doubled, well very simple thats the game plan, Reef gets the ball down low, if he is double then he kicks it out and Dion suppose to make that shot, thats his role to hit open shot and abuse smaller guards and so far he has been great doing that. Dion has been great for us this year, no one here expected Dion to avg 15 ppg. And dont compare Tmac with Dion, thats crazy.

The reason it looks like Dion can't get to the basket

enough is because his jumpshot isn't consisant so

players can play him for the drive...If he continues to

develop his jumpshot he will become a double threat

and be able to get to the basket with or without Reef

in the game.

You do understand that don't you?

• Premium Member

A good comparison for Dion is:

Bonzi Wells....

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bonzi_wells/...x.html?nav=page

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dion_glover/...x.html?nav=page

Both are power guards. Over the years, Dion's FG% have been getting better... Especially his 3 pt percentage. He's like Bonzi in a lot of ways.

This year, their numbers are very similar.

Dion Glover

Atlanta Hawks

Position:  F-G

Height:  6-5 Weight: 225

College: Georgia Tech '02

Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics

PPG 16.1

RPG 5.2

APG 2.7

SPG .67

BPG .11

FG% .394

FT% .833

3P% .364

MPG 34.8

Bonzi Wells

Portland Trail Blazers

Position:  G-F

Height:  6-5 Weight: 210

College: Ball State '98

Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics

PPG 11.4

RPG 4.3

APG 3.7

SPG 1.86

BPG .14

FG% .363

FT% .824

3P% .000

MPG 32.6

Deisel,

I think I get the power guard analogy, but I do not think that Dion can take over a quarter like Bonzi can. Bonzi, is better on both ends of the court.

Let's just say that in the half-court offense, their roles are the same. Hit the open shot and hit the boards.

I do think that Bonzi is a good model for Glove (aside from the instability)

• Premium Member

I agree. Bonzi is a much better defender in that Bonzi can patrole the passing lanes better. Dion plays well one on one though. Doesn't show up on the stat sheets unless you look at his opponents numbers. With the exception of Qrich, Dion has held his own on defense.

This season, given equal time though, Dion's offensive numbers are very comparable to Bonzi's with the exception of rebounding. I think Dion might even be a better 3 pt threat.

Watching Dion's development is interesting. He's a different player than at GT, but he's a more versatile player.