• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Friday After Next: Will Scott Become "Money Mike"?

lethalweapon3

The $100,000 Question  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

Mike Scott's 2013-14 contract (~$789k) with the Hawks is currently non-guaranteed. But it becomes $100,000 guaranteed if he remains on the roster after August 15, 2013, one week from now.

Do you anticipate Mike Scott will be waived by then?

If not, do you feel he has to prove his worth in preseason in order to be a mainstay on this roster?

After an improved offensive outing this past Summer League (18.6 PPG and 6.2 RPG on 46% shooting), I am most intrigued by his potential to hold it down at the backup SF position, allowing Korver and Carroll to slide over to SG whenever it's advantageous to present a bigger lineup at the wing spots. I also felt he worked out nicely whenever getting extended minutes in tandem with his fellow rookie John Jenkins.

Deployed mostly as a PF in 2012-13, Scott is lighter and not nearly as good defensively as Ivan Johnson was last year. His per36 rebounding (3.7 offensive, 6.8 defensive) was actually better than Ivan's (2.6 offensive, 6.6 defensive), but Scott's minutes were more likely to be mop-up duties against (relative to Ivan's) inferior opponents.

Scott sunk a paltry 32% on all his jumpers last season, but knocked down a passable 40% of his long-range twos, not too shabby for a first-year forward in limited action and equivalent to what Ivan provided percentage-wise from this range. In the preseason, I think Budenholzer will be looking to see if Scott can show some improvement in defensive effectiveness at the SF position, in order to earn a boost in minutes when the season starts.

My hunch is that Scott's a virtual lock to make the opening-day roster, but the virtual part depends on any additional moves Ferry makes, either between now and August 15, or during the preseason. Absent those events, I can't envision a scenario where Ferry's guaranteeing Mike 100 Grand now, and then waiving him before the season starts.

~lw3

Yes, I expect him to be on the roster this upcoming season and I expect

him to get playing time. Probably will not start very often but he will be

an important part of our player rotation.

He's not an allstar. We don't expect that. But, I believe that he is a good,

solid player and well worth the $$$ he will be drawing.