• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks are not contenders...

Diesel

• Moderators

This is the sad state of the NBA anyway. We can tell before training camp starts the handful of teams that have a real shot at the Finals and by Christmas we will basically know who's in the playoffs except for maybe 2 or 3 spots.

This year is a little harder because there has been a lot of movement but i'd say in the east obviously Miami. To be honest I don't really see anyone else unless Miami has injuries but if i had to name some I guess I'd say Chicago and Indy.

In the West: OKC, Spurs, Rockets. Clippers. So right now I'm guessing at 7 possiblities. By January I bet we can all narrow that to 4 and be right.

• Premium Member

Unless the Hawks are able to make a deal to bring in another player at the 2 or 3 and even then the Hawks are not a contender. My gut feeling is that we are not as good as last year. Josh Smith was terrible on offense but a good defensive player. Brand is the only decent low post defender we have.

The Hawks have a long way to go. I was never for rebuilding and Danny Ferry has to prove to me he can get the job done.

• Moderators

I think their list is pretty fair but I would break their list out like this.

For me:

Miami, OKC, SAS - Obvious Contenders

Indiana, Chicago - Should Be Contenders

Brooklyn, Houston - You need to prove it in the post-season and while it may take some growing pains it looks good on paper

Memphis, LAC - You will be respectable and rack up the regular season wins but I don't believe you are a legit contender come the post-season. Thanks for playing.

Golden State, NY - No. Just...no. Too flawed.

Atlanta doesn't enter the conversation and they shouldn't this year.

Edited by AHF

Really? I never would have guessed!!!Unless we signed D12 AND CP3 this offseason the Hawks were never in the running or the conversation for LEGIT title contender status.So sad but very true.

Unless the Hawks are able to make a deal to bring in another player at the 2 or 3 and even then the Hawks are not a contender. My gut feeling is that we are not as good as last year. Josh Smith was terrible on offense but a good defensive player. Brand is the only decent low post defender we have. The Hawks have a long way to go. I was never for rebuilding and Danny Ferry has to prove to me he can get the job done.

Honestly I think we will be about the same (record wise) as last year. Last year would have been a better team if everyone was healthy, but we missed guys like Zaza and Lou for a good portion of the season. We could wind up trading some of these guys we signed in the offseason and wind up being worse, but I still think we are a 43-46 win team in the East as of now.I'm not thrilled with still being a 6 seed in the East, but keep in mind we still players on reasonable contracts that can be traded if we decide to tank. We can still sign top FA players in years to come too because we still have good financial flexibility (no bad long term contracts).Our team might not be better yet but I don't feel like this is where we are going to be for years to come. Ferry still has work to do, but he has done a good job drafting players and keeping us in a position to sign or trade guys if we decide to do so.

Two legitimate sized centers are ours - overseas. They will still

be available after this season. They are both very young and have

a lot of growing to do. But, they are both ours!

We have a PG signed to a very reasonable contract which many believe

isn't a "real" PG but he plays one on the Hawks team. Then, we have this

very young PG who is here and will be learning to play in the NBA. Most

of those that believe that JT is not a PG believe, 100%, that this kid is.

Almost, without exception, we believe that our current roster contains a

lot of what is considered blue collar, working men. Do any of us believe

that these players will be run over and left for dead on the court? Nope.

They may lose the game but they will not be beaten.

How will our new coach and his staff coach? We can only speculate right now.

Hopefully, we will have a real team and not just a bunch of individuals playing

for us. We must have good chemestry for this to happen. Then, as if this

wasn't enough, much of the outcome of the season depends on the health

of all the players on all the various teams. Star players may pull something

or break something. Then what? We lost our back up SG and center last season.

Imagine those Florida boys, who believe they will automatically win it all again

next season, losing a couple of starters for an extended period.

So, is our outlook all gloom and doom or, are we excited about what our future

holds and look foreward to getting the competition started?

I say - - - GO HAWKS!

Edited by Gray Mule

I miss 80's 90's ball. Teams don't unite. You stay with the team that you were drafted by if you are a star for the most part. Just battle. Magic, Bird, Isiah, Nique...

• Moderators

Coach Bud is what I"m most worried about. Frankly I think we were spoiled by LD's ability to take loose change and make them a functional bball team. We all think Bud will be a better coach but that's not a given. Luckily we have guys who are going to work. Teague/Lou/Korver/Carroll/Milsap/Horford/Brand. That's 7 guys who've proven they know how to bring it every game in the NBA.

• Like 1

Except rebound, defend and be counted on to stay healthy!

Touché. His ankles are glass. I usually discount guards who can't defend or board, but I give shawty (and Irving I guess) a pass when he can head fake threes off the dribble. I always been a Stan, but after I seen him hit a one-legged three off a screen it was over.

• Premium Member

I'm going out on a limb.

Here's my top 4 in the West:

1. OKC

2. GS

3. LAL

4. LAC

I know what the obvious people are saying: NO San Antonio and NO Houston. Here's the deal. Even with DramaDwight, they still have some issues (unless they make a trade). I get the feeling that Dwight/Asik won't work well. I also get the feeling that Dwight/Harden will have some troubles too. What people missed about Harden is that it took a whole lot of ball hoggery to get to what he is. Same is true of Dwight. They will be a tough out but they will be out.

San Antonio. This is just a case of age catching up with them. Ginobili looked done at the end of last season. Timmy D is great but how much more does he have in the tank. Their bench is meh. And there's some high powered teams coming at them.

Golden State in my opinion is well coached. Curry is beastly and as Lee goes so goes the Warriors.

LAL... Everybody missed what LAL just did. They reloaded. I'm thinking that a coaching change is in order but I don't know. D'Antoni has proven that he can't coach bigs. But what he does well is coach transition. He has Nick Young and Wesley Johnson. Two young guys who will prolly grow in his offense with Steve Nash running it. Also, Pau is in a contract year and there's no more Metta world Peace. This team will surpass a lot of hoped failure.

IN the East:

1. Indiana

2. Miami

3. Chicago

4. Brooklyn

Indiana is still the best Defense in the game and now they have Scola and Granger. Ding Ding.

Miami will be exposed if they don't juice up.

Chicago is the second best defense in the league and Tim T. is looking to prove that they are first. I think Rose may be very good trade material for more yeomen.

Brooklyn. I Can't deny the old men. They're team sounds like a Hall of Fame squad. The real question with them is coaching.

Atlanta...I think we have a puncher's chance but I'm waiting on a trade.

Detroit... Will get strong consideration. They have many peices...but can they be a team.

Cleveland.... Now that Thompson has switched hands... it's all over. They will be hurting feelings... "that's a pocket pass.".

There are two teams that I call darkhorses:

1. Sacramento. FInally. Some Sacramento Love. DMC is the best big man in the game. Vazquez was brought in to even out the size problem. Between Jimmer and Isaiah they needed a big two who can handle the PG. I am also interested in seeing how the rook does. If McLemore can play strong, this team may be the suprize of the league.

2. Orlando. Nobody expects anything from these guys. Well, let me tell you.. They are built right. IF Big Baby comes back from injury well... They have C, PF, and SF locked up. SG...I love Afflalo but I think he's on the blocks. They got a rook. PG is their only question mark. Jameer Nelson is getting long in the tooth but he is on that stuff so who knows. Of Us, Milwaukee, Philly, and Orlando, Orlando is the team that I think can sneak into the playoffs the easiest... and once they get in there, it will take Indy to put them out.

Agree with your analysis and list. I am also big on Indiana, they have very good shot at winning the championship.

I'm going out on a limb.

Here's my top 4 in the West:

1. OKC

2. GS

3. LAL

4. LAC

I know what the obvious people are saying: NO San Antonio and NO Houston. Here's the deal. Even with DramaDwight, they still have some issues (unless they make a trade). I get the feeling that Dwight/Asik won't work well. I also get the feeling that Dwight/Harden will have some troubles too. What people missed about Harden is that it took a whole lot of ball hoggery to get to what he is. Same is true of Dwight. They will be a tough out but they will be out.

San Antonio. This is just a case of age catching up with them. Ginobili looked done at the end of last season. Timmy D is great but how much more does he have in the tank. Their bench is meh. And there's some high powered teams coming at them.

Golden State in my opinion is well coached. Curry is beastly and as Lee goes so goes the Warriors.

LAL... Everybody missed what LAL just did. They reloaded. I'm thinking that a coaching change is in order but I don't know. D'Antoni has proven that he can't coach bigs. But what he does well is coach transition. He has Nick Young and Wesley Johnson. Two young guys who will prolly grow in his offense with Steve Nash running it. Also, Pau is in a contract year and there's no more Metta world Peace. This team will surpass a lot of hoped failure.

IN the East:

1. Indiana

2. Miami

3. Chicago

4. Brooklyn

Indiana is still the best Defense in the game and now they have Scola and Granger. Ding Ding.

Miami will be exposed if they don't juice up.

Chicago is the second best defense in the league and Tim T. is looking to prove that they are first. I think Rose may be very good trade material for more yeomen.

Brooklyn. I Can't deny the old men. They're team sounds like a Hall of Fame squad. The real question with them is coaching.

Atlanta...I think we have a puncher's chance but I'm waiting on a trade.

Detroit... Will get strong consideration. They have many peices...but can they be a team.

Cleveland.... Now that Thompson has switched hands... it's all over. They will be hurting feelings... "that's a pocket pass.".

There are two teams that I call darkhorses:

1. Sacramento. FInally. Some Sacramento Love. DMC is the best big man in the game. Vazquez was brought in to even out the size problem. Between Jimmer and Isaiah they needed a big two who can handle the PG. I am also interested in seeing how the rook does. If McLemore can play strong, this team may be the suprize of the league.

2. Orlando. Nobody expects anything from these guys. Well, let me tell you.. They are built right. IF Big Baby comes back from injury well... They have C, PF, and SF locked up. SG...I love Afflalo but I think he's on the blocks. They got a rook. PG is their only question mark. Jameer Nelson is getting long in the tooth but he is on that stuff so who knows. Of Us, Milwaukee, Philly, and Orlando, Orlando is the team that I think can sneak into the playoffs the easiest... and once they get in there, it will take Indy to put them out.

• Moderators

I would bet lots and lots and lots of money against LAL being a top 3 seed in the West or making a championship run this season; against Sacramento making the playoffs; and against Orlando making the playoffs if the odds were anything remotely close to reflecting that these are reasonable possibilities.

• Like 1

Seems like Indy has done the most to improve in the East. The Nets have got a team that could have won the NBA Championship in 2008. I don't know about 2013.

Maybe we could pry Granger loose from Indy - they don't seem to need him.

Macdaddy, interesting comment about Drew and loose change. I don't see us having a better record this year than last.

• Moderators

Seems like Indy has done the most to improve in the East. The Nets have got a team that could have won the NBA Championship in 2008. I don't know about 2013.

Maybe we could pry Granger loose from Indy - they don't seem to need him.

Macdaddy, interesting comment about Drew and loose change. I don't see us having a better record this year than last.

I'm totally on board with Granger. I think he'd be a perfect fit. Not sure what we'd have to give up to get him.