• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I don't care what anybody says milsap is better than josh smith

JTB

This is no argument what so ever. I don't care how much better you think josh is on defense he fu**s it all up once he gets on offense. I can agree josh is a better defensive player and all but that hardly matters when he's such a bonehead on offense! The main reason milsap is a better player is because he's way way way smarter than smith and he's a better shooter by far.Comparing these two are a joke. Milsap can't defend better than smith but he's certainly not terrible and offensively milsap just flat out embarrasses smith.Just to throw this in there milsap is a consistent player like horford. I would be surprised if they don't click BETTER than smith and horford.

• Moderators

The other side to this apart from what any of us think is looking at what they were able to command on the market since they were both UFA. Josh got more years and more dollars which suggests that (at least some) NBA GMs view him as the more valuable player.

On a personal level, I am somewhat relieved to moving on from the Smoove era just because it could have gotten very ugly if he continued down his current path (jumper-rama) for his next contract. Millsap could disappoint but I don't see any situation where it turns that kind of ugly. As it happens, I expect Millsap to be pretty good for the Hawks.

• Moderators

Milsap and Horford are going to be good together. One thing we'll miss is Josh's passing ability but its pretty amazing we did so well considering some of his horrible shooting games. I do thing that Josh's shooting really overshadowed how good of a player he really is. But I just couldn't take the losing games with long misses anymore.

• Premium Member

This is no argument what so ever. I don't care how much better you think josh is on defense he fu**s it all up once he gets on offense.

I can agree josh is a better defensive player and all but that hardly matters when he's such a bonehead on offense!

The main reason milsap is a better player is because he's way way way smarter than smith and he's a better shooter by far.

Comparing these two are a joke. Milsap can't defend better than smith but he's certainly not terrible and offensively milsap just flat out embarrasses smith.

Just to throw this in there milsap is a consistent player like horford. I would be surprised if they don't click BETTER than smith and horford.

I have outlined an important part of your conversation... Mind you, I am not trying to change your mind... However, here's the spoiler... Defense is really the only thing we can use as a comparative stat. The way a player defends is the only thing that remains constant about a player from team to team. For Example, Chris Bosh... who knew that he would suck like this when made a part of the big three. That's offense.. His defense is about the same.

So now, Josh goes to a new team. Millsap goes to a new team. The truth is that their offenses might change for the better or worse. We won't know how that turns out til later...

This is no argument what so ever. I don't care how much better you think josh is on defense he fu**s it all up once he gets on offense.I can agree josh is a better defensive player and all but that hardly matters when he's such a bonehead on offense!The main reason milsap is a better player is because he's way way way smarter than smith and he's a better shooter by far.Comparing these two are a joke. Milsap can't defend better than smith but he's certainly not terrible and offensively milsap just flat out embarrasses smith.Just to throw this in there milsap is a consistent player like horford. I would be surprised if they don't click BETTER than smith and horford.

Bleeding Hawk colors I will root relentlessly for Horford, Teague, Sap and my current favorite Hawk Mike Scott (though Schröder will probably steal that mantle this year). However as rose colored as my glasses are for Smith, I think yours are smoky black. Defense is arguably as important a part of the game as offense and I would argue Smith made more of successful possession impact % on defense as his shot selection on offense.

The other side to this apart from what any of us think is looking at what they were able to command on the market since they were both UFA. Josh got more years and more dollars which suggests that (at least some) NBA GMs view him as the more valuable player.

On a personal level, I am somewhat relieved to moving on from the Smoove era just because it could have gotten very ugly if he continued down his current path (jumper-rama) for his next contract. Millsap could disappoint but I don't see any situation where it turns that kind of ugly. As it happens, I expect Millsap to be pretty good for the Hawks.

Well I think Josh made most of his money off of potential. No way he was paid for actual production because looking at his and Millsap's numbers they are very close with 3 less minutes a game for Paul.

We all know about Josh.

He is a super athlete. He can block a lot of shots. He is an excellent passer most of

the time. He can throw it down with the best of them. He loves to shoot those threes

and those long, long twos. Sometimes he hits them. Not at a high % but he can and

does hit them.

When interviewed, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, which is impressive.

Yet, so much of the time while he's on the floor the offense breaks down. Why is he there?

Why does he do those things that makes our head spin? Then, when he gets fouled, he

goes to the line and is lucky if he hits 50% of his shots. Opponents foul him and give up

one point.

He's good. He's great! He's the highlight factory. Yet, for all the good stuff, there is all

that dumb stuff we see so often. Maybe a new team can cure him of all that bad stuff.

Maybe. I just wouldn't want to bet a lot of money on that, would you?

Detroit thinks a lot of Josh and signed him to a lot bigger, longer contract than the Hawks

paid for his replacement. Now, we wait and see who got the better deal. Persnally, I

believe that we did. 50% from the charity stripe? Ugh!

GO HAWKS!

• Like 1

• Admin

Smith was a good player but it is best for both us and him that he is going to wear a different uniform next season.

His passing and willingness to pass will be missed next season

As for his defense...I still contend that it was very overrated. Yes, he got some nice stats but I never thought of him as a stopper nor was he that great at defending one on one.

Now, his offense is another story....he could easily shoot us out a game and has done it many times and I don't know how many times I would get frustrated last season when we were on a run either putting a team away or getting back into the game and he would come back into the game and screw it up. He played with a very low bbiq on offense and it cost us a lot. Close games and he is jacking up shots and losing very important possessions.

I don't know if sap will be a better fit but I am happy to see Smith gone.

We all know about Josh. He is a super athlete. He can block a lot of shots. He is an excellent passer most ofthe time. He can throw it down with the best of them. He loves to shoot those threesand those long, long twos. Sometimes he hits them. Not at a high % but he can anddoes hit them. When interviewed, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, which is impressive.Yet, so much of the time while he's on the floor the offense breaks down. Why is he there?Why does he do those things that makes our head spin? Then, when he gets fouled, hegoes to the line and is lucky if he hits 50% of his shots. Opponents foul him and give upone point. He's good. He's great! He's the highlight factory. Yet, for all the good stuff, there is allthat dumb stuff we see so often. Maybe a new team can cure him of all that bad stuff.Maybe. I just wouldn't want to bet a lot of money on that, would you? Detroit thinks a lot of Josh and signed him to a lot bigger, longer contract than the Hawkspaid for his replacement. Now, we wait and see who got the better deal. Persnally, Ibelieve that we did. 50% from the charity stripe? Ugh! GO HAWKS!

Hell, Dumars also thought a lot of Darko. lmao

Let's not forget that as far as what the two were paid, a lot of NBA analysts were talking about how they were so surprised that the Hawks got Milsap for as cheap as they did on a two year deal. Not trying to fan the flames of the Josh bandwagoneers but I'm so glad he's not a Hawk anymore and I really think he's going to struggle finding his way with a team that won't cater to him.

Josh may have more talent but Milsap is a better team guy. Critical to the new system

I disagree smith is more athletic than milsap yes...ALL DAY...however skills wise milsap has the upper hand.Smith gets no excuses from me. Offensively smith is 100 times worst than milsap. Defensively milsap is not a 100 times worst than smith.So basically milsap is better offense/ average defense to smiths terrible offense/ better defense....atleast we now have a guy who has a better all around game in milsap! Smith didnt have that.

It's good to see that everyone still appreciates what Smith did for us. I would like to say that while he was no defensive stopper, he was very versatile in how we used him, being able to guard even Kobe in some stretches due to our shortcomings as a team. Not to many players can be asked to do that.

• Like 1

Lol I feel this is a good example....let me compare smith to Dennis Rodman.Now of course he isn't better than Rodman defensively or on the boards but I'm comparing to show some of you the low BBIQ smith really had! Though you probably are already aware! LolOk so lets say Rodman makes a great defensive play and gets the rebound off a well contested shot.....ok so we all know Rodman is going to pass that ball to Jordan or pippen giving his team the best chance to score.Now lets take josh smith aka j smoove. Lets say smith makes a great defensive play, contest the shot well and grabs the defense rebound....so it's obvious what's next right? A. Smith passes to his pgB. Smith passes to a guardC. Smith eats chiliD. SMITH KEEPS IT FOR HIMSELF! Tries to run the break but fails so often!E. SMITH THROWS IT OUT OF BOUNCEF.SMITH WALKS THE BALL DOWN THE COURT ONLY TO TAKE A LONG 2.G. SMITH DECIDES TO BACK DOWN THEN REALIZES HE CAN'T! RESETS TO TAKE LONG 2.Lol this guy josh smith BBIQ offensively was extremely low & he had no offensive skills as far as scoring the basketball.I think it's funny how people can brag about smiths passing skills but I see it as smith just wanting a stat for himself. That's why he never gave the ball to his pg. smh.Answers D-G